Absolute Hammer 3150fps from .308 win. I think?

Bluumoon

WKR
Brand new to reloading, I'm told I jumped right into the deep end with the Absolute Hammers.... Worked up a ladder and this is the best I could do before seeing pressure signs. I borrowed a chronograph to check out my loads, but the chronograph didn't work at the range. Checked drops out to 480yards, hoping someone can tell me if my velocity numbers are close. Primarily concerned with fps numbers at range and cut off for proper bullet performance.

1:10 twist 18" barrel
COAL 2.810
Lapua brass
CCI 200
Ram Shot Tac (grains intentionally blank)
151 Absolute Hammer estimated G7-bc= 0.185

6500 ft of elevation, 24% hum

400 yards 22.5" drop
480 yards 36" drop

Plugged what I had into ShootersCalculator and it looks like I'm getting about 3150fps out the door.

cmahoney

WKR
You forgot to mention the 100,000 PSI chamber pressure.

Sorry, had to throw that out. I hope that’s a good safe load, makes an 18” .308 a lot more appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
In my ignorance with a prior ladder I learned all the pressure signs. No pressure signs with this load and close to what Steve has found with longer barrels.

just off hand I would think that FPS is a bit high, ive never seen anything that high in a 21 in barrel but wasnt going for max charge either. thats pretty good numbers if it is making 3100

Rob5589

WKR
That's hauling. The AH is a totally different bullet design so it is possible I suppose. The only 308's I've seen push a bullet that fast were 30" barrels with the Scenar 155.
If the drops line up, the velocity is legit.

Laramie

WKR
I would double check you range finder, grain of bullet, your drops, your tape measure... something isn't adding up. Real world out of a 24" barrel the fastest I have seen achieved in a 150 grain bullet is much slower. Remove 6" of barrel and you are losing some velocity, no matter the powder.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
I believe it’s accurate. Much less bearing pressure on the absolute hammers allows for faster burn rate powder and way less pressure. Be cautious if trying to develop and not getting good case fill. I recently worked up a 25-06 with the 90 gr and stopped at 3740 and could have kept going. Shoots one hole groups after some tinkering with a harmonic dampener. Shot to 540 yards and still tight. Hits hard for a 90 gr bullet

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
I would double check you range finder, grain of bullet, your drops, your tape measure... something isn't adding up. Real world out of a 24" barrel the fastest I have seen achieved in a 150 grain bullet is much slower. Remove 6" of barrel and you are losing some velocity, no matter the powder.
Power lines are 100yards apart where I shoot, kind of verifies the range finder. The bullet manufacturer said around 3200fps could be achieved, but that would be w a longer barrel.

Seems too hot to me, I’m running the 137 hammer hunter and was seeing pressure at 2960 FPS with rl15. Also tried blc-2 found pressure at 2880 FPS. I have a 22 inch barrel

Jon Boy

WKR
I thibk I got to 3050 in a 22 in Tikka with those but I cant remember. Not totally unbelievable in the absolute but it would be something miraculous

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

In my ignorance with a prior ladder I learned all the pressure signs. No pressure signs with this load and close to what Steve has found with longer barrels.
Absolutes are certainly a different animal, but If you are around what Steve found with a longer barrel.... BE DAMN CAREFUL!

eoperator

WKR
I am at 2925fps with an 18" 308 lapua brass 152 hh's . 3150fps with absolute's is in the ball park, but most likely on the hot side.
Post a couple pics of your primers, lapua brass is hard to read.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
The regular hammer hunter bullets run similar to regular bullets. Absolute hammers are way different. It takes some playing with powders to find the higher velocities and they don’t seem to gain much in the overbores

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
Included of my loads that didn't go boom. I've had a number of cheap rounds mostly military style not fire with this rifle, that's for a different thread I suppose.

eoperator

WKR
Looks like you have ejector "halo" that would definitely be over pressure for me with lapua brass.

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
New pic, different lighting. I see very very faint ejector marks on a couple, and something extra from the firing pin on two of the primers. No change in bolt lift or dramatic change in recoil when I worked up the ladder.
box cases.jpeg

Last edited: