A question of ethics? ....conscience?

Zig4648

FNG
Since it's your neighbor it would be nice to have the conversation with him. Sounds like he’s trying to give your community good fresh produce at a reasonable price. He’s happy with his profits. You could try doing a partnership with him and share the profits. Keeping your mouth shut is jerk move. If he was selling large amounts wholesale I’d say go ahead, but that doesn’t sound to be the case.

OP
Amos Keeto

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Based on your responses it sounds like you've already made up your mind and just want validation. With that said I don't know if the small amount of extra cash is worth potentially creating an angry neighbor.
I haven't "made up my mind" at all....yet.
I pretty much know where I stand, I just thought I'd get others thoughts on the subject.

Buy low, sell high simply means turning a profit.

Marketing is convincing people to buy your product priced higher than the other guy.

Simple business mechanics really and the world operates on it...

OP
Amos Keeto

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Ok. Basically what I meant.
Buy low, sell high simply means turning a profit.

Marketing is convincing people to buy your product priced higher than the other guy.

Simple business mechanics really and the world operates on it.

OP
Amos Keeto

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Why not team up with him? Offer to sell his produce in town for a cut?
That works for me.
What he's charging right now, is a good wholesale price.
Therefore, if it can't be marked up 30% or so, there wouldn't be enough profit to make it worth while.
I wouldn't even THINK of offering him less than he's getting now.

CorbLand

WKR
All you have really done is argue with anyone that tells you “no, you shouldn’t do it.” Which tells me that you know it would be a dick move but your looking to justify your action.

When it comes to stuff like this, if you have to ask yourself, that’s generally a good indication.

Theres a VERY good chance the farmer would be delighted to sell a large chunk of his crop to one person for the same rate he sells onesies. I dont see why everyones panties are in a wod. Just talk to the guy and see where it lands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
Why not team up with him? Offer to sell his produce in town for a cut?
That works for me.
What he's charging right now, is a good wholesale price.
Therefore, if it can't be marked up 30% or so, there wouldn't be enough profit to make it worth while.
I wouldn't even THINK of offering him less than he's getting now.

I'd talk with him and let him know your thoughts. If he LOVES gardening maybe he will produce more with an agreement that you'll buy X amount.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Is being honest and talking to your neighbor that hard?

He likely won't care. He is growing things because he likes it, not because he is trying to make money.

The fact that you are arguing back after people say they don't think its a good idea.

If you have to defend yourself you are probably thinking out of line.

Why even ask the question if your not going to listen and do whatever you want anyways?

Why even bother us? Were you hoping we would all pat you on the back and confirm whatever you are going to do anyways?

MattB

WKR
You know the right answer but seem to be answer shopping in the hope of justifying what you know is wrong.

How about this, offer to partner with the guy and allow him to share in the profits?

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
You could always grow your own produce and then sell them at the market.

Sounds like your neighbors content providing for his community, not some yuppies at a farmers market.

OP
Amos Keeto

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Is being honest and talking to your neighbor that hard?

He likely won't care. He is growing things because he likes it, not because he is trying to make money.
No.....and that's what I'm going to do, if I decide it might work out.
Know the guy pretty well, I don't think he will mind a bit.

robtattoo

WKR
Another option.

Rather than worry about the ethical rigmarole of buying at his retail, then marking up. How about this:
Offer him 80% of his price, to buy bulk quantity. Mark up 50% above his original price, then sell on his behalf, splitting the profit 50/50.
Hell be making 25% over, you'll be making 25% & if you split the pitch fee (if applicable) & transport costs, you could actually end up making a really good friend through business. Permission through mutual benefit will probably end up getting you preferential treatment, first chance at choice crops & possibly a chance at influencing his growing choices. You could also work in ways to deal directly with local restaurants & Whole-Food type local source markets.

If he rejects your plan, shitcan the whole idea.

Good neighbors who have a constant food surplus & generous nature are absolutely irreplaceable.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m with @robtattoo, he sounds irreplaceable as a friend. He might get upset at the idea if you ask but doubtful you ruin the friendship. Doing it without asking is almost a guarantee of ruining it. It just doesn’t sound like he’s in it for business otherwise he would be charging more as it is.