A Newbie hunts elk in southern Colorado, a review

Good info....yeah, carrying a 8lb dumbbell in each hand while rucking is great grip and arm training for carrying a bow while hunting.....

Good luck in the future!

thanks for the info. I just did the same trip and shared many of your same experiences. Lighter rifle is a must. I’m about to put my current 6.5PRC for sale to get something much lighter.

Anybody else think it's odd/crazy that an outfitter has 4 groups of guys in a camp and not a single person seen a single elk?? I don't hunt guided and never have, just an observation. Glad you had a good learning experience. It usually takes a bunch of those before putting something on the ground.

If you stick with the Kuiu pack, I loved my Pro 2300 for a day-pack as it didn't allow me to overpack like you thought you were doing. I also used the latest version of their rifle holder, quick-draw rifle holder I think it is called, and loved it. Hands free, unobtrusive, no pressure points, and easy access!

Anybody else think it's odd/crazy that an outfitter has 4 groups of guys in a camp and not a single person seen a single elk?? I don't hunt guided and never have, just an observation. Glad you had a good learning experience. It usually takes a bunch of those before putting something on the ground.

Yes. There are a lot of elk in Colorado.

Great thread, thanks. Bere09, you’ll be in great shape on your next hunt for thinking though all of this.

I'm starting to do research for a similar type of hunt and found this very helpful. Thanks for putting this out for others to learn from, really appreciate the detail & time you put into it.

Back