A lot of love for Tikka around here.

Tahoe1305

WKR
You've found the Rokslide holly grail if you own a Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor ...... LOL
There’s a used one in store up the road for cheap. Taking every once of me not to go buy it and auction it here to highest bidder ;).

Seriously I’ve been stalking it for two weeks now. Take out shipping/FFL costs to transfer it would be a great deal for someone.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
They're solid rifles that overperform at the $650 price point. Compare that to the former gold standard Model 700, which is now a dodgy rifle that underperforms at any price point.

I own one Tikka and it's great, but it has nothing on my X-bolt. Both are great guns at a similar price point.

Bought a 308 superlite. Love it. There is enough aftermarket that I put a bull 6.5cm barrel and a precision chassis and it does great at long range. Stock, it's a great hunting rig to carry. Many stocks and chassis are also interchangeable with the t1x rimfire

They're solid rifles that overperform at the $650 price point. Compare that to the former gold standard Model 700, which is now a dodgy rifle that underperforms at any price point.

I own one Tikka and it's great, but it has nothing on my X-bolt. Both are great guns at a similar price point.
My take on them:

Tikka: better trigger, better aftermarket, doesn’t have the super thin receiver with minimal thread engagement for scope base screws, significantly stiffer factory stock. Claimed to be more reliable but I’ve had no issues with an xbolt that has been neglected for a lot of days in wet snowy late season conditions.

Xbolt: stock has better stock ergos for trigger hand IMO, recoil pad is my favorite of any I’ve used, carries nicer with that trim stock and flush mounted mag.

I still hunt with my one xbolt more than any other rifle I own because it such a nice little package to carry and it shoots great but find myself buying and planning more tikka builds because of the options with aftermarket and pre-fits.

Last edited:

BigSky

WKR
I've had dozens of them over the past twenty years, give or take. Originally, before all of the current fan-fare and before they became this expensive, I felt kind of sheepish about owning and using these "cheap guns" that nobody else had ever heard of. I got past that.

Speaking of the "feeding issue", the hardest thing for me to overcome when I first starting shooting Tikkas was that always present thought when I worked the bolt of "man, that doesn't feel like it picked up a round". I still have to overcome that every time I'm out shooting and trust that it picked up a round, which it did, every time.

kpk

WKR
Close to 20 years ago I moved away from the slug hunting I grew up in and bought my first hunting rifle. I bought a m700 ADL with a junk stock and a finish that rusts if you look at it wrong and it came with the super desirable jlock trigger. At that time a tikka was the same price but I wanted American! That tikka had a stupid plastic magazine and the bolt was so slick it had to be a cheap action. :ROFLMAO: There’s still people who have these same stupid thoughts but they are a lot more rare.

20 years ago I went into Hart Brothers Weaponry in Albert Lea dead set on buying a 700 ADL as my first rifle. They had just gotten in a shipment of Tikkas and had been playing with them extensively. They told me not to buy that Remington and I listened to them. I still have that one and several more now.

My take on them:

Tikka: better trigger, better aftermarket, doesn’t have the super thin receiver with minimal thread engagement for scope base screws, significantly stiffer factory stock. Claimed to be more reliable but I’ve had no issues with an xbolt that has been neglected for a lot of days wet snowy late season conditions.

Xbolt: stock has better stock ergos for trigger hand IMO, recoil pad is my favorite of any I’ve used, carries nicer with that trim stock and flush mounted mag.

I still hunt with my one xbolt more than any other rifle I own because it such a nice little package to carry and it shoots great but find myself buying and planning more tikka builds because of the options with aftermarket and pre-fits.
I have owned a couple tikkas, 1 sako, and 5 xbolts. If the plan was to keep it stock, I would go xbolt every time. Every single one I have owned was a shooter. The new speed sr is a sick little package.

I jammed my tikka Sunday. My fingers habitually reached up to grab the ejecting case, thus deflecting the it back into the action while I was doing forms hunting drill. Complete operator error, and could have happened with any rifle. But it is possible to jam one - if you cycle the gun like a moron.

JGRaider

WKR
In 25 years of owning and shooting Tikkas, I've never had any modification of any kind improve accuracy at all.

I have a Hill Country Harvester, Rem 700 action 7mag that shoots great. Took HCR 6 different Rem actions to find one acceptable to work with. Funny thing is, I also have a Tikka 695 7mag I bought in 1998 that still shoots better than the HCR.

KenLee

WKR
No the port doesn’t have anything to do with feeding but it is a crap design for fixing anything that goes wrong with feeding. It also has something to do with ejection. When rifles are built for true reliability what is done to the ejection port?

I don’t know what to tell you about my tikka experience, I’m not making it up.
Short fat cartridges aren’t known for feeding well which is the issue with the 300wsm. I didn’t mean to imply there are others.

I also think a lot of hunters value accuracy as the only standard that a rifle is judged by.
The x-bolts and old a-bolt 2 designs work well with the wsm rounds. Can't make em jam. I'm clumsy as heck and have ran thousands of wsm rounds through them.

KenLee

WKR
Tikkas came out about the time I was started switching over to buying short action rifles. I am still amazed that Tikka doesn't produce a short action receiver. My safes remain Tikka-less. If they produced a rifle with short action receiver and the safety top center of tang where God intended and every sane person wants the safety, I'd buy one and try it out.

Same in my circles here in TN. I had never heard of them before joining rokslide a few years ago. Everyone I hunted with used Remingtons, Rugers, and mossbergs. I bucked the trend by going to the Xbolt which I'm a big fan of. I actually just bought my first Tikka. A roughtech in 6.5 PRC. Can't wait to see what the hype is about when it finally gets to the FFL