A lot of love for Tikka around here.

Macintosh

WKR
to be fair, the ctr mags dont have a stellar reputation for feeding. Of my 3 mags one would do this maybe 2 or 3 times out of 100–it would fail to pick up the next round. Its an easy fix to bend the spring so the follower doesnt hang up, there are several youtube videos showing how to do it. Other than that theyre smooth, and that one mag is the only hiccup like that Ive had in several tikkas.

hiker270

WKR
Own 4 Tikka's, 3 Roughtechs a 300 mag a 7mm mag and 6.5 creedmoor. Also a 30-06 Lite stainless. Never had any feeding or jamming issues with any of them. For my money they are the best deal in a new rifle.

Ralphie

WKR
I’ve seen three in the field. One a 308 and two 300 wsm. My daughter killed a couple bull elk and some cows with the 308. My son a black bear. Almost every time it was cycled vigorously it would jam. With two different factory mags.

A friends 300 wsm jammed while reloading to shoot a cow a second time.

This October another very experienced friend who owns several tikkas 300 wsm jammed twice. Partially costing him a bull elk. Again with two different factory mags.

The 300wsm is a poor design for feeding. The 308 win doesn’t usually share that problem.

Plus they have that horribly small loading/ejection port.

Sorry. I know there is a significant following here.

Close to 20 years ago I moved away from the slug hunting area I grew up in and bought my first hunting rifle. I bought a m700 ADL with a junk stock and a finish that rusts if you look at it wrong and it came with the super desirable jlock trigger. At that time a tikka was the same price but I wanted American! That tikka had a stupid plastic magazine and the bolt was so slick it had to be a cheap action. :ROFLMAO: There’s still people who have these same stupid thoughts but they are a lot more rare.

Last edited:

JGRaider

WKR
I’ve seen three in the field. One a 308 and two 300 wsm. My daughter killed a couple bull elk and some cows with the 308. My son a black bear. Almost every time it was cycled vigorously it would jam. With two different factory mags.

A friends 300 wsm jammed while reloading to shoot a cow a second time.

This October another very experienced friend who owns several tikkas 300 wsm jammed twice. Partially costing him a bull elk. Again with two different factory mags.

The 300wsm is a poor design for feeding. The 308 win doesn’t usually share that problem.

Plus they have that horribly small loading/ejection port.

Sorry. I know there is a significant following here.
Right, the 300 WSM is a piss poor design. The "horribly" small ejection port, as I'm sure you well know, has nothing to do with feeding, and everything to do with adding rigidity to the action. You've seen more feeding issues yourself than any 1000 people on any board I've ever been part of.

They are the new M700. There is nothing special about them other than there are tons of after market parts. Just like the M700 you’ll see guys dump the Tupperware stocks, then upgrade the trigger, if it still doesn’t shoot they will spin a new barrel on it. Before you know it you are $2k into an $800 rifle…like I said, they are the new M700.

Ralphie

WKR
Right, the 300 WSM is a piss poor design. The "horribly" small ejection port, as I'm sure you well know, has nothing to do with feeding, and everything to do with adding rigidity to the action. You've seen more feeding issues yourself than any 1000 people on any board I've ever been part of.
No the port doesn’t have anything to do with feeding but it is a crap design for fixing anything that goes wrong with feeding. It also has something to do with ejection. When rifles are built for true reliability what is done to the ejection port?

I don’t know what to tell you about my tikka experience, I’m not making it up.
Short fat cartridges aren’t known for feeding well which is the issue with the 300wsm. I didn’t mean to imply there are others.

I also think a lot of hunters value accuracy as the only standard that a rifle is judged by.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
They are the new M700. There is nothing special about them other than there are tons of after market parts. Just like the M700 you’ll see guys dump the Tupperware stocks, then upgrade the trigger, if it still doesn’t shoot they will spin a new barrel on it. Before you know it you are $2k into an $800 rifle…like I said, they are the new M700.
Never seen anyone have to "blue print" a Tikka action like a 700. Oh, and no matter what you do to a 700 trigger, it's still a design flaw. Oh, and I can change a spring and make a tikka trigger just about perfect.

JGRaider

WKR
Tell that to the guys at Hill Country Rifles......they will laugh in your face.

Never seen anyone have to "blue print" a Tikka action like a 700. Oh, and no matter what you do to a 700 trigger, it's still a design flaw. Oh, and I can change a spring and make a tikka trigger just about perfect.

Never heard of people adding m16 style extractors or bushing the firing pin on tikkas either. Or needing to make sure rings are aligned and lapped because the receivers aren’t consistent. Or you could compare gunsmith comfort with chambering a shouldered prefit..

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Pull the bolt back all the way, push the bolt forward all the way--> Bullet gets chambered. If you get nervous and get a hitch in this process, yes, you can have an issue with a jam. Controlled round feeds take care of this issue and are considered more of a dangerous game action for this reason. Outside of those who are new shooters, I have never seen problems with cycling a sako/tikka.

Regarding 300WSMs, they are known to have feed issues in a number of guns, and slight adjustments in mags/feed lips sometimes need to be made. With this said, I have a 300 wsm in a Tikka and have not had issues with shells loaded to various COALs with different bullets/manufactures. It is a fantastic cartridge. I have a couple Tikkas and love them. Accurate, good stock ergonomics, great trigger, good aftermarket support. Wish they had a 3 position safety, but I have not found a perfect gun outside of a custom. I will likely purchase more in the future.

mt100gr.

WKR
6 Tikkas in my line up - one CTR and 1 T1x - and not a single jam. Even with a 6.5 SAUM feeding from a standard LA Tikka mag, ZERO feeding issues at all.

I'm always looking for another!!! Lol.

I’m in Tennessee and they are popular cause they are accurate, reliable rifles at an attractive price point.

6 Tikkas in my line up - one CTR and 1 T1x - and not a single jam. Even with a 6.5 SAUM feeding from a standard LA Tikka mag, ZERO feeding issues at all.

I'm always looking for another!!! Lol.
Did you have to modify the mag?

mt100gr.

WKR
Did you have to modify the mag?
I have 1 standard LA mag that I did Dremel the walls a little wider and 1 unaltered LA mag that works just fine. I dremeled the one while waiting for my barrel.... Once I put the new barrel on, I just kept using the one that had been in the rifle as a 7mmRM. It's super tight to put 3 down - never had an issue with 2, so that's how I use them. I do wish I could figure out a block in the front of the mag as sometimes the second round slides a bit forward from the first sliding over it.

I bought them because they offered a stainless left hand rifle.
I’ve never cared for the Tupperware stocks, the way they will have light primer strikes if they have any oil in the bolt, and the plastic bolt shrouds.
They have always seemed to shoot well though, and as long as you keep the inside of the bolt clean they are reliable.
I liked the Sako A7.

I don’t share the same enthusiasm for them as many on this site seem to.