A health revolution brewing?

am sure that book will tell me to stop bringing a six-pack when am invited to watch the game....

and the rephrase the Mandalorian, this is the way.

Weldor

WKR
I'm fortunate like Customweld, except we have not bought beef for over 25 years. Venison, bison, hog in three large freezers. Hunt as much as I can, birds and Deer , Elk when I draw, Axis , fallow, and a new one iranian red sheep. Did a weld job for a friend 1 week ago, he brought over 3 huge T-bone steaks. I will say that they were outstanding. First one in 25 years.

Last edited:

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider
I went into a doctor to have an annoying sebacious (sp?) cyst removed from my back. I pulled off my shirt and he says “ oh, you’re fit! Do you eat healthy?” I said “Yes, mostly red meat, mainly Elk, eggs, bacon, cheese some beer and wine. I avoid vegetables and fruit” He says “The Chinese did a study and found if you want to live long to eat a plant based diet “. I said “ I’m more interested in living well and I’m not Chinese “.

Meat is the most nutrient rich/dense food on the planet (for humans).

Vegetables and fruits typically have little nutrients (for humans), especially in comparison to meat. And I say this as someone that enjoys eating fruits and vegetables.

The current push for plant based diets is so full of BS. But yet, here we have doctors promoting this ideologically based nonsense. Even the AMA is pushing plant based diets. Here is one such article from the AMA that is full of utter bullshit: https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering...stainable-diet-means-your-patients-and-planet

They are still pushing the bullshit that red meat causes cardiovascular disease - a misconception that was created when the sugar lobby paid off a couple of Harvard scientists in the 1960's to fabricate studies that shifted the blame of cardiovascular disease from sugar to saturated fats. The AMA and its doctors are still getting this wrong, ~80 years later!

I don't typically like to use anecdotal evidence to make a point, but think about any vegan you know. All the vegans I personally know are incredibly unhealthy - that diet requires a lot of ultra-processed foods to fill the voids, and typically vegans are not getting a lot of nutrients they need in their diet. You can do a vegan diet properly, but its incredibly consuming of effort and time, and money.

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider
Most traditional barbecue is full of sugar. Darn near candy really.

Sugar is the devil.

BBQ food is full of it. It's not the meat that's presenting issues (though the shear volume of it can in certain cases). It's the sauces and the sugars in them.

BBQ sauces, store bought salad dressings, ketchup and other condiments, drinks, etc are all chock full of sugar in our western society. Grams and grams and grams full of it. The average American allegedly consumes about ~3/4 cup of sugar a day.

Dietary speaking, the single best thing any individual can do to improve their diet is removing all, or at least a large percentage of the sugars in their daily food intake. Easy to do if you make your own meals, not so much if you rely on restaurants/fast foods or prepared store bought meals.

180ls1

WKR
Honestly, a lot of people would probably be best served by not using the healthcare system, unless they absolutely have to.

The healthcare system wants to create life-long customers and if you value your health, its best to avoid that.

Possibly but lets not lose the forest through the trees. It's best to understand and use it to your advantage. No doubt our system is flawed but also does tremendous good.

I am glad Dr's were able to reattach my hamstring.
I am glad they saved my dad from presumptive colon cancer and death by removing polyps.
I am glad I was born in a hospital. Same for my daughter.
I could go on but you get the point.

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider
Possibly but lets not lose the forest through the trees. It's best to understand and use it to your advantage. No doubt our system is flawed but also does tremendous good.

I am glad Dr's were able to reattach my hamstring.
I am glad they saved my dad from presumptive colon cancer and death by removing polyps.
I am glad I was born in a hospital. Same for my daughter.
I could go on but you get the point.

For sure. Perhaps my comments were a bit too hyperbolic.

It serves its purpose. Use it when you need it. Just don't become one of their many customers for life.

ETA: Also, always get a second opinion before having anything invasive performed on your body, like surgery (if you have the opportunity to do so). This is something my wife always says. She says it because she says the work of surgeons every day in her job in pathology, and she has hundreds of horror stories.

Last edited:

Weldor

WKR
Meat is the most nutrient rich/dense food on the planet (for humans).

Vegetables and fruits typically have little nutrients (for humans), especially in comparison to meat. And I say this as someone that enjoys eating fruits and vegetables.

The current push for plant based diets is so full of BS. But yet, here we have doctors promoting this ideologically based nonsense. Even the AMA is pushing plant based diets. Here is one such article from the AMA that is full of utter bullshit: https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering...stainable-diet-means-your-patients-and-planet

They are still pushing the bullshit that red meat causes cardiovascular disease - a misconception that was created when the sugar lobby paid off a couple of Harvard scientists in the 1960's to fabricate studies that shifted the blame of cardiovascular disease from sugar to saturated fats. The AMA and its doctors are still getting this wrong, ~80 years later!

I don't typically like to use anecdotal evidence to make a point, but think about any vegan you know. All the vegans I personally know are incredibly unhealthy - that diet requires a lot of ultra-processed foods to fill the voids, and typically vegans are not getting a lot of nutrients they need in their diet. You can do a vegan diet properly, but its incredibly consuming of effort and time, and money.
Neighbors are vegan, they look like stick people. I try to avoid them at all cost. They are the only people my hounds don't like.

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider
Neighbors are vegan, they look like stick people. I try to avoid them at all cost. They are the only people my hounds don't like.

I'm sure healthy and happy vegans exist. I've just personally never met one.

CorbLand

WKR
I'm sure healthy and happy vegans exist. I've just personally never met one.
My old boss is one. She is super active and really has the food she eats dialed. Not a ton of processed stuff either. You wouldnt even know if she didnt tell you. (She also wasnt the type that goes out of her way to tell you either)

fwafwow

WKR
I wish I could grow my own - just not feasible due to time and space.

Apologies to the OP if this isn't the right thread, but following up on the Metabolic Revolution movement that I linked to above. Below is a video presentation of Jess Apple at the Collaborative Science Conference (I believe introduced by Dave Feldman). Jess (along with others) is leading that charge. It's 15 minutes (less at higher speeds). Yes, it's anecdotal, but I found it riveting.

The description is "Jessica Apple, a writer, editor, and co-founder of a nonprofit magazine focusing on metabolic health and low-carb diabetes management, shares her journey through autoimmune issues and diabetes. Her narrative intertwines personal experiences, including her mother's illness, her own struggle with autoimmune diabetes, and her family's health challenges. Jessica's quest for understanding led her to question traditional dietary advice and explore the ketogenic diet, ultimately finding improved health and contributing to the broader conversation on metabolic health."

Jess Apple LADA speech

ODB

WKR
I felt dumber after reading this article.

One of the main arguments being used by this dietitian in support of ultra-processed foods is that it would "make people feel bad about their diets" if you talk badly about processed foods.

Lots of other incredibly idiotic and vapid nuggets in there as well.

That is an offshoot of social/emotional learning. As long as you feel good, it must be true. And feelings are paramount to facts.

Go to a doctor when you are overweight.

See how much time they spend trying to sell you on lifestyle changes that will actually address the root causes, versus them giving you statin and Ozempic prescriptions. 9 out of 10 doctors will spend more focus on the latter.

If they do talk about personal lifestyle changes, it will likely be delivered in some boilerplate template in a monotone delivery.

The American Association of Pediatrics doesn't even believe obesity is a lifestyle disease. That's incredibly troubling. The AMA treats obesity as a chronic illness that should be treated early with drugs that will require you to be on for a lifetime. And these drugs lose weight by reducing muscle and connective tissue - not fat. They do not treat the root cause, but rather mask the symptoms through pharmaceutical intervention (that conveniently makes corporations a lot of money).

My wife works in healthcare, in pathology. We know a decent amount of doctors (especially her). Doctors are just as fallible and corrupt as any other cross-section of society. They will uncritically follow any guidance from an association or institute (like the NIH or FDA) like religious sycophants. Those same associations and institutions are completely captured and co-opted by corporate interests, which seek to maximize profits to your detriment. The whole system is corrupted.

our society makes out doctors to be all-knowing entities that can do no wrong. The reality is that they are generally of fairly average intelligence, and are just as easily corrupted as anyone else. The vast majority of them will go along with the rest of the herd, unquestionably and uncritically following guidance from the leaders of their pack (doctor associations, FDA, NIH, etc).
There are a lot of problems within the system, no doubt. One of the bright spots though is emergency medicine. From firefighters/paramedics scrapping you up off the street to doctors in the ED keeping you from dying in a few minutes, now is the best time ever to have an acute medical emergency. There are other specialties that are doing great work as well, but…
All one has to do is look out their front door at the sea of fat, T2 diabetics to know that the system as a whole is failing, that is if health is the goal. Clearly it’s not. It’s a sickcare business and business is good. But business could not be nearly as good as it is if not for people being completely unwilling to take any responsibility for their own health.
Probably the fastest and best way start turning things around is to find a way to incentivize people to take charge and do what they can do…diet/lifestyle change. Right now all the incentives favor this Goliath system and not the patients.
I’m optimistic that at least there is some discussion happening that has the potential to wake people up to what’s possible in terms of improving their health.

GMax

FNG
Honestly, a lot of people would probably be best served by not using the healthcare system, unless they absolutely have to.

The healthcare system wants to create life-long customers and if you value your health, its best to avoid that.
Bingo. The system is designed to keep you unhealthy and on the pre$cription train.
Yes, good additives, all drugs including over the counter destroy your body.
The VAXX was the coup de grace. Heart attacks, blood clots and turbo cancers are skyrocketing among the jabbed.
The “System” is run by the most corrupt of the corrupt

NMJM

FNG
True, you could live on the dole your whole life like Europe.
He makes a good point that there is more to health than just diet. Working conditions is one other large factor. Just like the corporate processed food industry and big pharma do not have our best interests in mind, a lot of employers do not as well. We are not here because we were successful at eating processed foods and working in cubicles. To be healthy most of us need quality food and quality work.