A health revolution brewing?

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
My doctor keeps pushing the Mediterranean diet. A lot of greens, fish and chicken from what I can tell.
Anyone tried it - pros - cons?

180ls1

WKR
My doctor keeps pushing the Mediterranean diet. A lot of greens, fish and chicken from what I can tell.

It's probably as good as any other diet, as long as it works for you and is something you can sustain.

CorbLand

WKR
Kind of done it for about a year. We dont specifically eat it every day but my wife has started to make more Mediterranean meals two to three times a week.

Honestly, havent noticed a huge difference in the before and after but we eat pretty good overall. As our income has increased, we have moved to healthy alternatives. I would like to be able to eat more fish but damn, its pricy.

Some of the salads she has made are pretty damn good.

My doc suggested it due to my families risk of heart problems. Heart attacks have whacked about 50% of my dads side of the family around the age of 40.

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone should watch that interview at least even if you do not read the book also realize that over 90% of what has been added to our foods was approved using this regulation - GRAS (generally recognized as safe).

What the interview really highlights is how the "science" and regulation has been captured and controlled by the industries. Almost all med schools are majority funded by the pharmaceutical corps and the FDA and other government agencies as well. Basically "the science", in many cases is just part of goalseeking process to prove whatever additive or chemical is safe and the bar is extremely low since all it has to be is "generally-regarded-as-safe".

I am 57 and it amazes me what people look like now compared to when I was in my 20s and early 30s. Not only is it the obesity, but just their overall mobility, many struggle just to walk in and out of stores. This has become much to prevalent to just be consuming too much food, it is what is in it to a large degree.

It would behoove people to understand that the government does not care about you or your health. They don't even think that they work for you.

The government (or more aptly, the individuals that make up government) are much more concerned about the donor class - i.e. the corporations.

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider
Doctors give them "whatever they want" because they either have a financial incentive to prescribed something or they received little actual training/instruction on dietetics.

Another factor is that the overarching doctor associations are completely corrupted and co-opted by corporate interests.

Just look at the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics). They state that childhood obesity is not a lifestyle disease, and should be corrected with a lifetime prescription and application of Ozempic.

fwafwow

WKR
What exactly qualifies one as an “expert” anyway? Learning to regurgitate the official narrative, getting some letters by your name and receiving the official permits and licenses to do your job accordingly; and if you deviate from that official narrative you risk losing your license/credentials and livelihood. F*** Expert Status. It’s virtually meaningless in today’s world.
Now pass me the bacon and grab me another beer! 👍
I agree. I think it’s human nature. And has happened for so long and so many times. The earth is flat. The earth is the center of the universe. If you can’t speak Latin…. If you have a heart attack, six weeks of bed rest is the appropriate convalescence.

fwafwow

WKR
It's probably as good as any other diet, as long as it works for you and is something you can sustain.
I’m not saying it’s good or bad (I’m not an expert), but I’ve read that there is no substantive basis for the “Mediterranean Diet” because the diets in even just Italy vary dramatically, so there is really not a “Mediterranean Diet” and there at best only epidemiological studies that would support it. (An admitted failing of almost all diet studies.)

The “French Diet” (it doesn’t exist) would probably have just as good of a epidemiological basis of being healthy - a country that was curiously omitted from the Ancel Keys study that is the foundation of all subsequent US Dietary Guidelines diets.

Personally - again as not an expert - if a diet doesn’t have red meat and fat as at least a component, it’s suspect.

I’ve seen the biggest change by trying to cut back and/or eliminate dairy (except for hard cheeses), processed sugar, commercial breads, and alcohol.

Exercise 5-6 days a week. I had a physical and blood panel done a couple of years ago for a life insurance policy and got the best health rating/lowest risk pricing for my age group despite the fact I chewed for years when I was younger.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Curious, how old and how healthy and active is your doctor?
As an aside: it’s interesting to me to hear how commercials assume you “have a doctor”. Like “my lawyer”. I don’t have either.

Thx for posting. I had a feeling when reading it, but decided to not rock the boat.
In fairness, I think the article had a valid point. Not all “processed” food is created equal and it’s important to maintain some context in the push to cut back and /or eliminate “processed” foods.

There is a lot of truth to the fact it is more expensive to buy a lot of fresh produce and foods and is also less convenient to prepare them. Does this affect folks of lower economic class more? I’m sure it does.

Not everyone is lazy and some folks are trying to do the best they can with what they have.

All this is not specifically directed at you but rather the conversation in general. I kind of get the vibe Dr Means wants to be offended by the SJW stance of the author.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Personally - again as not an expert - if a diet doesn’t have red meat and fat as at least a component, it’s suspect.
^^^this^^^^. Fat is brain food. Of course no government wants a smart populace.

My wife had followed the official narrative all her life. Had weight issues her entire life. Got so she couldn’t hardly negotiate stairs due to pain. She started researching the internet and decided to go keto. She’s not total keto or carnivore but she started eating a lot of bacon, beef fat, red meat (elk) and ditched the carbs, breads, fruits, most veggies. She has no problem with stairs, loads her kayak on top of her old Audi and goes kayaking and camping by her self. She’s actually thinking more critically. She said “ I’m so angry that I’ve been lied to all my life and have paid a terrible price for listening to the so-called experts”. It really is a crime, a crime that absolutely no one will ever accountable for.

180ls1

WKR
I’m not saying it’s good or bad (I’m not an expert), but I’ve read that there is no substantive basis for the “Mediterranean Diet” because the diets in even just Italy vary dramatically, so there is really not a “Mediterranean Diet” and there at best only epidemiological studies that would support it. (An admitted failing of almost all diet studies.)

The “French Diet” (it doesn’t exist) would probably have just as good of a epidemiological basis of being healthy - a country that was curiously omitted from the Ancel Keys study that is the foundation of all subsequent US Dietary Guidelines diets.

Yeah, I dont disagree.

With the time a doctor has to consult a patient, a diet like this checks most of the major boxes for the majority of people and would move their health in the correct direction compared to the average American diet. The average American has way too much over processed calorie laden food. Any diet that significantly reduces that and isn't too hard to adhere to is well worth looking at.

Rokbar

WKR
There was a good documentary on PBS called "In Defense of Food." Very eye opening. If I were more tech savvy I would post a link.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
Curious, how old and how healthy and active is your doctor?
As an aside: it’s interesting to me to hear how commercials assume you “have a doctor”. Like “my lawyer”. I don’t have either.
I don't have a lawyer either, but have been going to the same General Practitioner for almost 30 years - sadly he is retiring soon. The doctor who is encouraging the the Mediterranean Diet is a cardiologist I've been seeing for a couple years - he is trim and fit - I'd guess about 40-45 years old.

wesfromky

WKR
You can't take diet in isolation from the rest of your life. For instance, focusing on the what foods to eat in something like the "Mediterranean diet" misses the bigger picture of the lifestyle those people live. Food is only part of what is going on. Same with exercise. Do you work 50+ hours at a high stress job and try to balance work with family commitments/events, along with finding time to train, hunt, shoot, etc? It might be that the reason people in a certain region of the world live longer and are healthier might have more to do with working shorter hours, less stress, a solid social life outside of work/family, enjoy a glass of wine outside at a local cafe in the evening with friends, etc.

Weldor

WKR
Doctor's are like call centers. Just reading the script. Diet of the day or decade, statins, etc. A good one is super hard to find unless your loaded. People used to prepare their own food, now the excuse is I have no time to cook a dinner. Remember when they came out with TV dinners? The younger generation never had a chance to learn how to cook from their parents or grandparents, and that's a bummer.