A health revolution brewing?

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
You and everyone else.
The problem with all these chronic diseases due to diet is that you die a long, slow, miserable death, unable to do the physical things you love, including jumping off a 486’ bridge, for many years before you finally croak. Count me out on that.
Hitting the ground at terminal velocity is far from a slow miserable death.

CorbLand

WKR
Same with Coke Zero, That said, my wife bought a case at the beginning of the year and there are still about 18 of them left. Problem with diet sodas is they still spike an insulin response just like the sugared stuff. Your body doesn't know the difference. The artificial sweetener basically does the same thing. But hey man I feel your pain, I still crave the sugary stuff. Its as bad an addiction as drugs, or alcohol, but societally accepted. Sounds like however there may be rustlings of change brewing.

FWIW, Mankind started to decline from a physical perspective 10K years ago when agriculture was developed...IMO.
I don’t drink diet because I think it’s any better for me. I drink it because I think it tastes better. A regular Pepsi is too sweet and gives me heart burn. Diet has a harder “bite” and doesn’t give me heart burn.

I am a firm believer that society has been declining since man stepped foot on this earth.

Last edited:

KsRancher

WKR
The best way for me to eat and drink healthy is keep busy doing things I like to do. I am currently an equipment operator and truck driver for a construction company. Get really bored so I get hungry. Going to be going to a full time self employed logger in 4 months. When logging I am a one meal a day guy. I don't eat breakfast. When I am busting ass cutting trees I don't care to eat lunch. Just water and tea is all I need. Then a good healthy supper and I am good to go. Same when I am hunting or fishing. Don't need to eat. Running equipment, driving truck and sitting around the house I eat and drink a pile of garbage. I am currently the heaviest I have ever been I my life and it sucks. All self induced. Hopefully get that changed in the near future

SharkDog

FNG
Learning to read labels has helped me discover the incredible number of unhealthy products created by our food system. Everything, even what should be natural food and healthy for you in a package deserves a quick label review. I like to use the coloring in farm raised salmon as an example, coloring is added to turn the farm raised salmon orange rather than it's normal grey color in an attempt to simulate wild caught salmon as an example of food that is marketed as a healthy food, but could be as toxic as Cheetos.
I'd much prefer to eat cheetos than farm raised salmon.

The best way for me to eat and drink healthy is keep busy doing things I like to do. I am currently an equipment operator and truck driver for a construction company. Get really bored so I get hungry. Going to be going to a full time self employed logger in 4 months. When logging I am a one meal a day guy. I don't eat breakfast. When I am busting ass cutting trees I don't care to eat lunch. Just water and tea is all I need. Then a good healthy supper and I am good to go. Same when I am hunting or fishing. Don't need to eat. Running equipment, driving truck and sitting around the house I eat and drink a pile of garbage. I am currently the heaviest I have ever been I my life and it sucks. All self induced. Hopefully get that changed in the near future
It’s so much harder when the house is stocked up with the junk food. When it’s not around I don’t even think about it. My wife doesn’t eat the same way I do and she brings stuff home all the time…I try to stay out of it but am not always successful.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Great reply. I'd love to see that study. And I'm sure that study didn't "find" anything, perhaps apart with identifying an association.

Has anyone ever had their doctor mention there is at least one study that found an association between high LDL-C and CVD mortality that suggests the higher the LDL, the longer you live (at least after certain ages) - and then told you to increase your cholesterol numbers?
Back in the late 70’s or early 80’s when cholesterol became a “thing” my grandmother had hers tested. I recall her “number” was 384. What exactly that was measuring I don’t know other than it was astronomically high. She ignored it. Lived to about 85. Died of hepatitis if I recall correctly. I know she grew up eating all the “wrong” foods according to today’s brainiacs. Lard spread on toast was a favorite. My mother in law is 99. How did they ever live so long standing the exalted food triangle on its head? Maybe Fauci can explain it.

It’s so much harder when the house is stocked up with the junk food. When it’s not around I don’t even think about it. My wife doesn’t eat the same way I do and she brings stuff home all the time…I try to stay out of it but am not always successful.
Yep, same. If I bought all the groceries, we'd do better. Unfortunately she beats me to the punch and is a junk food addict. As much as I try and train her, her family was raised on sugary stuff and I can't get her to stop that crap.

My wife will buy some garbage, and I'll see it and eat it thinking if I eat it then 1) I'm not wasting it, and 2) I'm protecting the family from it. Then she'll be like "oh he loves this garbage" and buys more.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Back in the late 70’s or early 80’s when cholesterol became a “thing” my grandmother had hers tested. I recall her “number” was 384. What exactly that was measuring I don’t know other than it was astronomically high. She ignored it. Lived to about 85.
I saw an article several months ago that said they studied and tested people that were over 100. The average cholesterol level for 100yo+ folks was somewhere right around your grandmother's number......high 300's.

S.Clancy

WKR
Same with Coke Zero, That said, my wife bought a case at the beginning of the year and there are still about 18 of them left. Problem with diet sodas is they still spike an insulin response just like the sugared stuff. Your body doesn't know the difference. The artificial sweetener basically does the same thing. But hey man I feel your pain, I still crave the sugary stuff. Its as bad an addiction as drugs, or alcohol, but societally accepted. Sounds like however there may be rustlings of change brewing.

FWIW, Mankind started to decline from a physical perspective 10K years ago when agriculture was developed...IMO.
You realize if you drink a protein shake it "spikes" your insulin? Also, what is the problem of spiking insulin if it doesn't store anything (there are no calories in diet soda).

I have no problem drinking diet soda. The toxicity studies are out there in animal models and they don't alarm me. I'd rather have the mental break of drinking that tasty drink and not have the sugar calories onboard.

IMO, most of the problem with US is the way our economy transitioned in the last 30 years. Pre 90's a lot of people were working physical jobs (aka a lot of exercise). Today, most people (including myself) sit in front of a computer all day, then sit in front of a TV the rest of the day (not me). It's pretty easy to mindlessly eat all day if you aren't careful. Couple that with 0 physical exercise and you get a country of hogs. Pretty simple.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Lots of good stuff in this thread. I went down the rabbit hole of carnivore/keto and it was pretty mind blowing how much suppressed information is out there. If you type in the general questions the search engines will give you nothing but studies from Universities that essentially tell you the food guide pyramid is still the healthiest end of the spectrum, but in other publications the analysis ran by scientists matches up almost perfectly by ratio to a fattening concoction used by a big name cattle rancher before graining angus beef out? That should raise question..

My wife (35) and I (34) have been low carb for a couple years now and recently had blood work done, everything came back optimal. She switched to a new Dr so that panel was starting from scratch. He explained everything and asked if she had a primarily red meat diet when he got to cholesterol, she told him about our diet and that we primarily eat game meat with some ribeyes as a treat. He said "fantastic, keep doing exactly that" and went off about public health and how healthcare isn't advocating for a proper diet. So I do believe there are a few good ones that do care and aren't afraid to go against the grain out there.

Interesting read.

I plan to read this when I have time, but I already have a bit of a bias because it's from apple.news, lol.

Weldor

WKR
What was that quote" just live" Lots of worrying going on here, like a few posts people live to be a 100 doing whatever they like. You can't beat genetics or mother nature. Not saying don't try to be healthy, but worrying about every little thing is not going to help.JMHO

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moderation and a balance is key to so many things in life including what we eat. The difficulty is staying within that balance.

1724857520460.jpeg

8d111849-572f-4f91-bd3f-6c993e12b0b7_text.gif

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Up here in Canada we have the "free" healthcare system where they will just offer you medical assistance in dying instead of trying to help you unless you are an illegal Canadian then you get access to all the services you never paid for.

Basically in Canada you wanna save your money and stay healthy and if you do need something you wanna go private.

My cousin and her husband go down to Kailspel like twice a year to buy all the "good American food you can't get up here" and my wife and I are like "well there's a reason it's not sold up here" but yeah my cousin and her husband are 100% obese. I feel for their kids as they are eating that crap and the Canadian crap. Large soft drinks to celebrate the end of swimming lessons. Yeah, that's what those kids need.