A Giraffe with a 6UM

Shraggs

WKR
This site has WAY more difference of opinion than it does “like minded” opinions. That’s very easy to search and verify here. It’s not even close. The general “old school” or what folks call “fudd” echo chamber is still far louder on site than any other.

I personally also have zero desire to walk up to a fenced in big game animal and kill it. I also don’t film hunts personally as it’s not my cup of tea. Just this year I started filming some shooting stuff because of the cold bore challenge. Will that graduate into videoing kills? Maybe? I don’t know.

Simply because I “wouldn’t do” something hunting related doesn’t mean I think “it’s lame” or “off putting” in my opinion. I also think that sharing this is helpful in showing folks that their preconceived notions of “bigger is always better” may not always be the case.
When sdhnter noted the group think thing was a bit surprised. When I make a point to surf all the threads the vortex/leupold and 7/30 mag recommendations still carry a lot real estate here.

Unckebob

WKR
Over the past eight months, I've been criticized by numerous people who claim that a 6mm cannot kill a giraffe. They argued that it was unethical and that the giraffe may suffer for days or weeks before dying. One person even emailed me, insisting that a giraffe's hide is one inch thick and that the bullet would either bounce off or penetrate only a few inches. The professional hunter (a great human) was also very hesitant. However, two weeks after the giraffe was shot, several people contacted me to dispute my account. As a result, I will be sharing the unedited video below.

The professional hunter (PH) instructed me to take one shot and then wait to observe the giraffe's reaction. He explained that giraffes usually don't run far after one shot, but after a second shot, they tend to flee until they feel safe. The PH also mentioned that giraffes typically take one to three minutes to die, and more often than not, they require multiple shots. As a side note, this was the 15th animal my wife or I shot using the 6UM and the 115 NR Dtac. The results have been remarkable.

I have a question unrelated to your choice of bullet (I will never get to hunt giraffe).

Were you able to bring a trophy (Pelt? back?

Last edited:
OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Sorry, not a fan. For a multitude of reasons having nothing to do with bullet diameter, this is a video that should never have seen the light of day. Lame af.
Clickbait! If that were true, the video would have been edited, and I would have made the YT video public.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I have a question unrelated to your choice of bullet (I will never get to hunt giraffe).

Were you able to bring a trophy (Pelt? back?
The PH didn't want a second shot if the first was fatal. He claimed that after the second shot, they ran until they felt safe.

Yes, but the hide and skull takes around eighteen months to get to the States.

Grundy53

WKR
No, it’s not just giraffes, at least IMO. It’s the situation. Could have been Kudu, eland or anything else. The fact that this was a giraffe certainly doesn’t help in the eyes of many others though.

Your last paragraph nailed it!

The point, IMO, could have been much better made with an elk hunt in the Rockies, or a Brown Bear or Moose hunt in AK, or anything else depicting an actual hunt.

But that wouldn’t generate the buzz and clickbait now would it?

I think if many were truly honest with themselves, they would agree with me. If they were brave enough to go against the group think and admit it.
You're so brave! Thank you for your service.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
The PH didn't want a second shot if the first was fatal. He claimed that after the second shot, they ran until they felt safe.

Yes, but the hide and skull takes around eighteen months to get to the States.

Took right at 2 years for us. Just picked up last month from 2022. After the taxi and shipping bill I'm over africa taxidermy.