A Giraffe with a 6UM

SDHNTR

WKR
Dude what happened to you?

You used to seem like a reasonable dude but now you seem angry about everyone/ everything.
No, Not at all. I’m a happy centrist kind of guy. I see value on both sides of most arguments. Yet this place has just lately gone off the deep end, too extreme on one side, on a few matters in my view. This is an example. I just happen to be speaking out against some of the group think around here.

We used to talk about backcountry hunting of wild animals on this website. Now it’s come to this…

I’m not mad. I just killed a beautiful 6pt bull in the WY wilderness last week. Got a weekend full of watching my kids excel at sports ahead of me. Life is good. I just have a differing viewpoint on this video. Doesn’t mean I’m angry.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
No, Not at all. I’m a happy centrist kind of guy. I see value on both sides of most arguments. Yet this place has just lately gone off the deep end, too extreme on one side, on a few matters in my view. This is an example. I just happen to be speaking out against some of the group think around here.

We used to talk about backcountry hunting of wild animals on this website. Now it’s come to this…

I’m not mad. I just killed a beautiful 6pt bull in the WY wilderness last week. Got a weekend full of watching my kids excel at sports ahead of me. Life is good. I just have a differing viewpoint on this video. Doesn’t mean I’m angry.
Maybe it’s a reflection of the threads you choose to click on and engage with? Plenty of others to choose from.

atmat

WKR
this is a video that should never have seen the light of day. Lame af.

lYet this place has just lately gone off the deep end, too extreme on one side, on a few matters in my view. This is an example. I just happen to be speaking out against some of the group think around here.

So you’re speaking out against the group think and extremism of… the legal hunting of African animals?

I dunno, man. It just comes off as shouting into the wind.

Congrats on the bull and the weekend ahead.

Shraggs

WKR
Wow

I got a couple of pages in and was all could tolerate. Talk about ignorance…

Use enough gun, “I shot one in the neck with a 375 and it still needed 2 more shots”. Hmm shitty bullet and bad shooting. (Pretty unethical there imo). I might as well attack the silly croc wearing hippy who shot and killed a giraffe in one shot with an inappropriate small bore that died in a minute or less and zero tracking.

SCI fuddism at its best.

Wow

Use enough gun, “I shot one in the neck with a 375 and it still needed 2 more shots”. Hmm shitty bullet and bad shooting. (Pretty unethical there imo). I might as well attack the silly croc wearing hippy who shot and killed a giraffe in one shot with an inappropriate small bore that died in a minute or less and zero tracking.

I think you missed the guy's point on that one. Said he shot it in the neck, it dropped, and he put 2 more in the vitals to reduce the time to death.

It's kind of the same argument as all the people that say "but you needed to shoot it more times with a small cartridge"- no, could shoot it more times and it was still alive so it got shot more times.

ElPollo

WKR
Wow

SCI fuddism at its best.
I gotta admit. Calling Ryan Avery a croc-wearing hippie is pretty damned funny.

atmat

WKR
I think you missed the guy's point on that one. Said he shot it in the neck, it dropped, and he put 2 more in the vitals to reduce the time to death.

It's kind of the same argument as all the people that say "but you needed to shoot it more times with a small cartridge"- no, could shoot it more times and it was still alive so it got shot more times.
Totally on board with that. But it’s the argument people use against small cartridges. So it does seem hypocritical to some degree.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

What is "this"? An animal was shot and died <60sec which is a data point in validation a caliber some have questions about. What exactly is lame af about it?

I get it if you don't like the way wild african animals are hunted but not sure why that translates to a video should have never seen the light of day vs just not being your cup of tea as they say?

SDHNTR

WKR
So you’re speaking out against the group think and extremism of… the legal hunting of African animals?

I dunno, man. It just comes off as shouting into the wind.

Congrats on the bull and the weekend ahead.
I have no problem with the legal hunting of African animals, I’ve been there myself. I do have a problem against shooting animals where there is little challenge, especially when it’s just to prove a point, and then posting a bad look for all hunters on the WWW.

I have no problem with the legal hunting of African animals, I’ve been there myself. I do have a problem against shooting animals where there is little challenge, especially when it’s just to prove a point, and then posting a bad look for all hunters on the WWW.

Would it be a better look for hunters if he dumped 3 rounds of 375 into it and it died in the same duration? I feel like you're worrying about the impression from the same type of people who think a 556 is a cannon that blows limbs clear off.

SDHNTR

WKR
What is "this"? An animal was shot and died <60sec which is a data point in validation a caliber some have questions about. What exactly is lame af about it?

I get it if you don't like the way wild african animals are hunted but not sure why that translates to a video should have never seen the light of day vs just not being your cup of tea as they say?
An elk or deer hunt or some animal shot in a fair chase manner while unaware, and without vehicles, in the background would have been a better choice for content. Why is it so wrong to call this what it obviously is? It’s a sensationalised and polarizing clip, intentionally posted to create controversy, and generate clicks. Because hey, the golden rule in showbiz is “no publicity is bad publicity”, right? That kind of stuff is off putting to me.

You guys don’t have to agree. It’s just my opinion. I don’t know Avery from Adam, he could be a great guy. I just think better judgement could’ve been used here. And I don’t think I’m the only one who feels this way.

SDHNTR

WKR
Would it be a better look for hunters if he dumped 3 rounds of 375 into it and it died in the same duration? I feel like you're worrying about the impression from the same type of people who think a 556 is a cannon that blows limbs clear off.
Nope. That would be a bad look too.

atmat

WKR
I do have a problem against shooting animals where there is little challenge,.
Everyone I’ve talked to, including my own family, who have hunted Africa have said it’s all “little challenge.” In fact, none plan on going back until they’re too old to still climb mountains.