A Giraffe with a 6UM

As I stated, I can see the african hunter forum guys point of views...many are traditionalist when it comes to african game hunting and it's all part of the dream of hunting there. Bell was a culling agent when he shot game by the dozens or hundreds so of course he wouldn't be using expensive big bore cartridges to do it but I assure you he was backed up by a big bore rifle when it came to dangerous game...he wasn't stupid. As you said...he did it with small cartridges but that don't make them suitable across the board either. Lots of small bores "can" kill about anything if you desire to push the envelope. Most don't. I don't see everyone selling their larger caliber rifles to hunt big game with a 223. Robert Ruark...use enough gun. BTW, most african hunters using traditional cartridges are not wealthy as some of you state....they are hunters that saved and scraped for years, sometimes decades to hunt there just the same as most sheep hunters do for their expensive hunts using expensive custom rifles. As I stated, he accomplished what he set out to do and I hope he had fun doing it. To each their own. Sorry if I pissed in your wheaties.

I guess members here poking the african forum hunters in the eye are no better than those guys poking members here in the eye...really? Yeah, thats exactly why hunting opportunities all around the world are shrinking more each year.....the ones taking it are happier for it.

cmahoney

WKR
I swear a lot of these africa guys are just LARPers with more money. "Dress code", gun choice because thats what some dude did 100 years ago. Anything that makes them feel more like they are some adventurous man from 1920 as they shoot the stocked animals with their big bores after the PH estimates size and trophy fee for pulling the trigger..

You called it, same as the Harley guys who dress up as pirates to ride their bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I guess members here poking the african forum hunters in the eye are no better than those guys poking members here in the eye...really? Yeah, thats exactly why hunting opportunities all around the world are shrinking more each year.....the ones taking it are happier for it.
One group is close-minded and gate keeping what hunting "should" be; from chamberings all the way to clothing. The other group actually goes out and attempts things for themselves and learns.

Which group do you think leads to more "shrinking"?

ElPollo

WKR
Opportunities aren’t shrinking because of hunters making fun of other hunter’s clothes. They are dwindling because there are more hunters vying for opportunities on less land every year. The comments you are hearing that are making light of African hunting fashion are coming from people who likely can’t afford guided hunts or canned hunts on stocked game. Most of them would also likely never consider the latter to be hunting.

Stocked animals is a South Africa thing. Unfortunately, that taints most views of the how the other countries conduct hunts. It's night and day different in other countries that don't commercially farm game or areas in SA that are truly free range (there are a few).

Otherwise, I agree with your comment. Lots of words like traditional and "proper" used.

But tradition sets the laws, and shooting dangerous game with a 6mm is not likely to happen. But it would be wholly appropriate for leopard and lion.

Jeremy

Yes, I intentionally said "a lot of" rather than all or most of because I'm not well versed in the wide range of situations over there.

Macintosh

WKR
The whole thing is super wierd. But very predictable. Most predictable: Those with tons of experience using item A, and zero experience using item B, almost universally denigrate item B and call that "relying on experience". I went to the africa hunting thread...it is almost entirely comprised of that^^. "I've used a 416 studwhomper on 767 giant african critters, and every one died the way they should...I would NEVER use anything different...and based on my experience never having tried the different item for this, and not having any idea of what went into it, I can unequivocally say that it is so insufficient as to be shockingly immoral. And CROCS for God's sake!!".
Haters gonna hate, closed minds gonna close, Fudds gonna fudd, etc. Yawn.