A Giraffe with a 6UM

a few of the guys on the african hunting forum have some very valid points. if you know, you know. I know where they are coming from. I personally would have used my 470 Nitro, 458 Lott or 505 Gibbs...just because that's the way I feel about African hunting. It's not about having to prove anything, just taking part in the mysterious experiences you read about as a kid. I don't remember reading about any 6mm acrobatics. At any rate, he did what he set out to do....good for him and I hope he had a good time. Hard not to in Africa.

PaulDogs

FNG
a few of the guys on the african hunting forum have some very valid points.

I’m genuinely curious—which points did you see that were valid?

To me, it just seems like Ryan did something that goes against their view on cartridge selection and it spurred hysteria on their forum. A lot of the comments repeat the same old anecdotal evidence in support of minimum cartridge requirements and/or act like Ryan’s kill was some kind fluke.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
"Besides, shooter in video is not even dressed as hunter. No dress code, no ethics with inappropriate calibers, etc... This video has no educational value to any true hunter"

That's probably my favorite quote from that dumpster fire of a thread. Lol a dress code? What type of uppity weirdos believe in a dress code? Lol

Fudds will be fudds...

ElPollo

WKR
a few of the guys on the african hunting forum have some very valid points. if you know, you know. I know where they are coming from. I personally would have used my 470 Nitro, 458 Lott or 505 Gibbs...just because that's the way I feel about African hunting. It's not about having to prove anything, just taking part in the mysterious experiences you read about as a kid. I don't remember reading about any 6mm acrobatics. At any rate, he did what he set out to do....good for him and I hope he had a good time. Hard not to in Africa.
In all that reading, I guess you missed the part about WDM Bell killing 23 buffalo with a 22 High Power, and that he killed most of his elephants with a 7x57. One of his favorite rifles was… Eegads… a 6.5x54… Don’t think he wore crocs though.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
In all that reading, I guess you missed the part about WDM Bell killing 23 buffalo with a 22 High Power, and that he killed most of his elephants with a 7x57. One of his favorite rifles was… Eegads… a 6.5x54… Don’t think he wore crocs though.
I'm sorry sir, there's no room for mouse guns in fuddlore... FOOT POUNDS OF ENERGY!

Lol.

He wore a shirt and his skivies with bare legs. Left his pants in camp because they hung up on briars and impeded his chase. Probably would’ve worn crocs if he could get some. Great reading!

"Besides, shooter in video is not even dressed as hunter. No dress code, no ethics with inappropriate calibers, etc... This video has no educational value to any true hunter"

That's probably my favorite quote from that dumpster fire of a thread. Lol a dress code? What type of uppity weirdos believe in a dress code? Lol

Fudds will be fudds...

I swear a lot of these africa guys are just LARPers with more money. "Dress code", gun choice because thats what some dude did 100 years ago. Anything that makes them feel more like they are some adventurous man from 1920 as they shoot the stocked animals with their big bores after the PH estimates size and trophy fee for pulling the trigger..

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I swear a lot of these africa guys are just LARPers with more money. "Dress code", gun choice because thats what some dude did 100 years ago. Anything that makes them feel more like they are some adventurous man from 1920 as they shoot the stocked animals with their big bores after the PH estimates size and trophy fee for pulling the trigger..

"I only shoot when my PH tells me to shoot" (paraphrased)... But apparently when a PH tells someone else not to shoot a rapidly dying animal to avoid the animal running away upon the second shot its unethical. :unsure: Maybe the fact it wasn't a fenced in game farm (as claimed) was the reason for not wanting to spook away the animal??? Lol.

Wonder how many of those LARPers would still be picking up their safari hat that got blown off with their big bore shot in the timeframe this giraffe died.

Wapiti1

WKR
Stocked animals is a South Africa thing. Unfortunately, that taints most views of the how the other countries conduct hunts. It's night and day different in other countries that don't commercially farm game or areas in SA that are truly free range (there are a few).

Otherwise, I agree with your comment. Lots of words like traditional and "proper" used.

But tradition sets the laws, and shooting dangerous game with a 6mm is not likely to happen. But it would be wholly appropriate for leopard and lion.

Jeremy

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Ain’t this the damn truth!

And when PH says “we’ve seen a lot of giraffes take off running after the second shot, so don’t shoot again” OP gets ridiculed because “the animal needed a couple more rounds in him”.

They act like they know, but then clearly do not.

cmahoney

WKR
It’s a good time of year for you traditional Africa huntsman to gear up. Spirit has the kit in stock.

06a129c605594ebb0357e22fc6388639.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk