90lb Hoyt Ultra?

Recluse

FNG
Just curious: On an 80# RX5 Ultra, with the tiller bolts bottomed out and several twists to the cable, how close can one get to 90?

wayoh22

WKR
I would imagine not close. Pretty sure there's a good chance you'd bust something on the bow trying to accomplish what you're after. 80lb limbs are made exactly for that: 80lbs. Of course there's some leeway, but I don't see it ending well pushing it to the limits.

OR Archer

WKR
I would imagine not close. Pretty sure there's a good chance you'd bust something on the bow trying to accomplish what you're after. 80lb limbs are made exactly for that: 80lbs. Of course there's some leeway, but I don't see it ending well pushing it to the limits.
It won’t break anything. You can get it close but it does cause some issues. One is it’ll increase the draw length while shortening the A2A and increasing the brace height. It can also over rotate the cams. Third it can bunch up the cables with too many twists.
You could probably add 4-5 twists with little issue and gain a few pounds but it’s honestly NOT going to gain you much in the way of performance

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
The best question is WHY? I can think of maybe 2 animals in the world that would warrant that kind of bow.

I mean the days of bows being slow and needing to yank 90lbs back is way gone. Im not understanding the need personally.

wayoh22

WKR
It won’t break anything. You can get it close but it does cause some issues. One is it’ll increase the draw length while shortening the A2A and increasing the brace height. It can also over rotate the cams. Third it can bunch up the cables with too many twists.
You could probably add 4-5 twists with little issue and gain a few pounds but it’s honestly NOT going to gain you much in the way of performance
That's good to know. I just figured if you're going to "push" the limbs, strings, and cables to their limits that there's a inherited risk that something will go wrong.

OP
Recluse

Recluse

FNG
My 80 limbs on the Ventum 33 ran at 83 pounds. My 31 inch draw had a ~600 grain arrow at 299 FPS. haven't blown anything up yet. haha.
Did you add twists or just bottom out the tiller bolts ?

AkRyan

WKR
So how do I get 75 from 70lb limbs...how does anyone get more than 70lbs with 70lb limbs.....twist the cables....you can twist the cables on your 40lb bow and get 50lb if you want to try it out 😉

Aerosith

FNG
My 80 limbs on the Ventum 33 ran at 83 pounds. My 31 inch draw had a ~600 grain arrow at 299 FPS. haven't blown anything up yet. haha.
I find this hard to believe.... can you please provide evidence of this? The discrepancy of 50 grains higher and 10fps faster on nearly the same cams doesn't make sense, they have nearly identical performance specs. I have an 80lb RX-7 ultra set at 82lbs, 31.5 draw, with a 552gr arrow @290fps.

Marble

WKR
I find this hard to believe.... can you please provide evidence of this? The discrepancy of 50 grains higher and 10fps faster on nearly the same cams doesn't make sense, they have nearly identical performance specs. I have an 80lb RX-7 ultra set at 82lbs, 31.5 draw, with a 552gr arrow @290fps.
IME, chronographs can vary quite a bit depending on a lot of factors. Just something to consider.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
I'd say based on your limited knowledge that you will not be able to tune an arrow for that setup if you are somehow able to get the poundage.

Aerosith

FNG
I'd say based on your limited knowledge that you will not be able to tune an arrow for that setup if you are somehow able to get the poundage.
How does tuning an arrow to a bow change make a big difference in speed? I thought speed was determined by draw weight, draw length, brace height, and arrow weight?

Zac

WKR
How does tuning an arrow to a bow change make a big difference in speed? I thought speed was determined by draw weight, draw length, brace height, and arrow weight?
Speed is a byproduct, dynamic spine is the issue. He’s not going to be able to walk into a shop and have an off the shelf arrow built that will work.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, you can go outside what the bow was engineered for ……I’ve seen guys shim their limbs and tweak their compounds, “ Frankenbows” and they are pretty proud of them…until they blow up.

It used to be that some of these 80# bows come with a limited warranty….is that still the case?

Nothing an 80# bow can’t do…or kill. …but for that matter one can say the same about 70# bows.

Zac

WKR
Actually most speed bows at 70 are outdoing most 80 lb bows. 80 is almost always unnecessary unless someone’s a very short draw, and 90 is driven purely by ego. I’m not judging, if pulling ridiculous poundage is a goal then it is achievable with a few platforms. Arrow selection is also sparse, but there are a few options out there. I’m fairly disgusted by the whole idea, and would prefer someone get better at archery rather than focusing on an arbitrary meaningless number.