90lb Hoyt Ultra?

I have shot 80# limbs for over ten years and will never go back. Speed equals forgiveness in yardage estimates. When it comes to the fluid situations elk hunting yields, the extra speed without sacrificing arrow weight is huge!

Beendare

WKR
Years back I met an orthopedist that was an avid bowhunter. He stated that he pulled 53# because the shoulder joint is not designed to pull high weights and many of those who chose to do so would eventually be faced with shoulder issues. Based on the number of threads I have read about guys who were plenty strong enough to comfortably pull heavy bow weight but still ended up going under the knife for repairs due to long-term damage, I have come to the conclusion the juice is not worth the squeeze.
Yeah, exactly.

I shot 80# for over 2 decades when I was young .......and I wouldn't listen to anybody either. <face palm>

Sometimes we just have to learn the hard way...and that what all of these heavy bow threads turn into....not sure why I bother.

Reactions: Zac
Yeah, exactly.

I shot 80# for over 2 decades when I was young .......and I wouldn't listen to anybody either. <face palm>

Sometimes we just have to learn the hard way...and that what all of these heavy bow threads turn into....not sure why I bother.
What happened? Genuinely curious. You and Zac appear to be hostile towards the idea of 80# bows, and I'm curious why? I find it hard to believe that an extra 10#'s of pull will make a big difference on my shoulder, but it does tighten up my pins considerably. If I shot thousands of arrows every year and did a lot of shoots I could see it. I just go out and shoot a half dozen arrows most evenings in August & July then go hunting. I'm a hunter not a shooter. Been bow hunting since 1999, and don't need to shoot more than that anymore. Why not pull 80#'s?

Zac

WKR
What happened? Genuinely curious. You and Zac appear to be hostile towards the idea of 80# bows, and I'm curious why? I find it hard to believe that an extra 10#'s of pull will make a big difference on my shoulder, but it does tighten up my pins considerably. If I shot thousands of arrows every year and did a lot of shoots I could see it. I just go out and shoot a half dozen arrows most evenings in August & July then go hunting. I'm a hunter not a shooter. Been bow hunting since 1999, and don't need to shoot more than that anymore. Why not pull 80#'s?
I started with an 83 lb Hoyt Defiant. I have chronic shoulder and neck pain, and continual sensation problems with my left arm. Also I bench, squat, and deadlift over 300. I have also obtained a shoulder injury that took forever to heal with my 58lb target bow with low let off.

Beendare

WKR

The short version;
Equipment has improved a lit since the 80’s and 90’s…..I know a lot more about what works and the “Why” behind it vs back then when I thought more KE matters- .….in a nutshell, I’m smarter about it and focus on what does matter- like skillset.

OR Archer

WKR
I started with an 83 lb Hoyt Defiant. I have chronic shoulder and neck pain, and continual sensation problems with my left arm. Also I bench, squat, and deadlift over 300. I have also obtained a shoulder injury that took forever to heal with my 58lb target bow with low let off.
And that honestly has ZERO to do with anyone else. Your experience with injuries is not someone else’s and shouldn’t be projected on them as if what they are doing is wrong. The forefathers of bow hunting used to shoot 70+ pound longbows and recurves. Were they wrong too? Stop trying to shame people for what they choose to shoot. It helps no one.

Zac

WKR
And that honestly has ZERO to do with anyone else. Your experience with injuries is not someone else’s and shouldn’t be projected on them as if what they are doing is wrong. The forefathers of bow hunting used to shoot 70+ pound longbows and recurves. Were they wrong too? Stop trying to shame people for what they choose to shoot. It helps no one.
I was asked what my personal experience was with it. I didn’t intend for it to have anything to do with anyone else. There are plenty of valid reasons to not shoot 80, or 90 lbs that have nothing to do with physical stresses on the body. There obviously are reasons to shoot higher poundage as well. I will be happy to continue to shame anyone that thinks that their dead lift number qualifies them to shoot the same poundage that Josh Bowmar handles.