90lb Hoyt Ultra?

Aerosith

FNG
Actually most speed bows at 70 are outdoing most 80 lb bows. 80 is almost always unnecessary unless someone’s a very short draw, and 90 is driven purely by ego. I’m not judging, if pulling ridiculous poundage is a goal then it is achievable with a few platforms. Arrow selection is also sparse, but there are a few options out there. I’m fairly disgusted by the whole idea, and would prefer someone get better at archery rather than focusing on an arbitrary meaningless number.
My goal in shooting high poundage is to ensure as much penetration/performance as possible, not ego. Pulling 82lbs is very easy for me and not an issue. You never know when you might make a bad shot and I'd rather have as much going for me as possible. As for arrow spine, I had some 250 spine arrows built for my 82lb, 31.5 draw bow and it was not stiff enough. I had to go with 200 spine, but very very few companies make 200 spine 4mm carbon arrows. The finished product is an SIrius Archery 200 spine 4mm Orion arrow with the complete Iron Will Snyder Core system. These arrows tune great and I managed to achieve 15%FOC, i'm not sure how much better it can get than that. I accidentally shot a rock @35yds a couple months ago and the arrow did not show any kind of damage.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
My goal in shooting high poundage is to ensure as much penetration/performance as possible, not ego. Pulling 82lbs is very easy for me and not an issue. You never know when you might make a bad shot and I'd rather have as much going for me as possible. As for arrow spine, I had some 250 spine arrows built for my 82lb, 31.5 draw bow and it was not stiff enough. I had to go with 200 spine, but very very few companies make 200 spine 4mm carbon arrows. The finished product is an SIrius Archery 200 spine 4mm Orion arrow with the complete Iron Will Snyder Core system. These arrows tunesgreat and I managed to achieve 15%FOC, i'm not sure how much better it can get than that. I accidentally shot a rock @35yds a couple months ago and the arrow did not show any kind of damage.
That is what I said, you are shooting a boutique shaft, that can not be found in a shop. From a functionality standpoint that is just fine. However there is a learning curve that comes along with that kind of system. One that people should be aware of before they venture down that rabbit hole. For most it will simply not be worth the expense as well as the wear and tear on their joints.

Zac

WKR
Why is 70 the metric and 80 and 90 are ego? Is it because most people can handle 70?

I’ve never understood that.
Well the metric itself is subjective. If you look where most people fall in draw length, and average arrow weight 70 lbs is definitely the most appropriate poundage for the majority of North America. Also if you look at who is actually shooting 90 you pretty much have Rogan, and Bowmar.

Beendare

WKR
My goal in shooting high poundage is to ensure as much penetration/performance as possible, not ego.
There are 1,000 experienced guys here will tell you, “You don’t need it”

A 70# bow is a monster of Kinetic Energy…so is a 60# compound…..its all about how you manage it.

Perfect arrow flight with an average arrow works. If you want more penetration you can either put an efficient BH on there ( read; a tapered COC 2 or 3 blade design) …or add arrow weight- or both…its that simple.

My recurve doesn’t make 40ke…..and I just blow arrows through almost everything including 2 arrows through a broadside 800# moose Using a 2 blade- like a hot knife through butter. Arrow flight and BH efficiency matter.

Beendare

WKR
Funny, but there is a Youtube guy that has problems shooting through critters with big inefficient heads. He uses lighted noks…and if you watch his vids on slo mo his arrows are wagging side to side on the way to the critter- its no wonder he doesn’t get pass thrus- that wobble kills your arrows energy.

Aerosith

FNG
There are 1,000 experienced guys here will tell you, “You don’t need it”

A 70# bow is a monster of Kinetic Energy…so is a 60# compound…..its all about how you manage it.

Perfect arrow flight with an average arrow works. If you want more penetration you can either put an efficient BH on there ( read; a tapered COC 2 or 3 blade design) …or add arrow weight- or both…its that simple.

My recurve doesn’t make 40ke…..and I just blow arrows through almost everything including 2 arrows through a broadside 800# moose Using a 2 blade- like a hot knife through butter. Arrow flight and BH efficiency matter.
Would you rather use a 308 WIN or a 300 Win Mag to kill an elk? Of course a 308 can kill an elk, heck thats what I use for elk. But a 300 Win Mag will always out perform a 308. Bullet selection and ballistics are what matter in terms of performance on game. I use an Iron Will s135 Snyder Core broadhead and these arrows shoot straight. I've had arrows shoot out the back of my targets. Momentum is more important for penetration than KE, my arrow has 103lbs of KE and .710 Slugs of Momentum, that can just about kill anything on the planet. Archery IMO is far more sketchy than hunting with a gun, the shot forgiveness using a rifle is no where close to a bow. That is why I run this setup.

Zac

WKR
Would you rather use a 308 WIN or a 300 Win Mag to kill an elk? Of course a 308 can kill an elk, heck thats what I use for elk. But a 300 Win Mag will always out perform a 308. Bullet selection and ballistics are what matter in terms of performance on game. I use an Iron Will s135 Snyder Core broadhead and these arrows shoot straight. I've had arrows shoot out the back of my targets. Momentum is more important for penetration than KE, my arrow has 103lbs of KE and .710 Slugs of Momentum, that can just about kill anything on the planet. Archery IMO is far more sketchy than hunting with a gun, the shot forgiveness using a rifle is no where close to a bow. That is why I run this setup.
Can it blow through a knuckle on an elk? If not than it doesn’t have any more penetration than a 70lb bow. You don’t get credit for how far your shaft buries in the dirt.

Last edited:

Aerosith

FNG
Can it blow through a knuckle on an elk? If not than it doesn’t have any more penetration than a 70lb bow. You don’t get credit for how far your shaft buries in the dirt.
Next month If I can arrow a bull I'll post up the pics and the results.

Reactions: Zac

Beendare

WKR
Would you rather use a 308 WIN or a 300 Win Mag to kill an elk? Of course a 308 can kill an elk, heck thats what I use for elk.

Comparing bullets to Arrows is a bad analogy- misplaced logic.

I’ve seen over 60 elk killed with an arrow…..and hundreds of critters of all shapes and sizes shot with a wide variety of bows, arrows and BHs…..I’m sharing an experienced opinion and there are many experienced guys like myself here saying the same.

In fact, many - like myself-have moved from heavy bows to less poundage.

Its a learning curve…and if you aren’t going to learn from others I suppose you are destined to learn for yourself.

45# recurve bro- 2 arrows at 30y- pass thrus like a hot knife through butter, that bow doesn’t make 40ke ( drew a CO cow tag) she went maybe 5 steps
688B9FBE-65C3-45C5-A59C-6CBE1DFF3573.jpeg

Aerosith

FNG

I’ve seen over 60 elk killed with an arrow…..and hundreds of critters of all shapes and sizes shot with a wide variety of bows, arrows and BHs…..I’m sharing an experienced opinion and there are many experienced guys like myself here saying the same.

Its a learning curve…and if you aren’t going to learn from others I suppose you are destined to learn for yourself.

45# recurve bro- 2 arrows at 30y- pass thrus like a hot knife through butter, that bow doesn’t make 40ke ( drew a CO cow tag) she went maybe 5 steps
View attachment 588604
I think you misunderstand my point, and the gun analogy absolutely applies. There are two bull elk 700 yards away you have a 300prc and your buddy is shooting a 7mag. Both shots hit each elk right in the shoulder, which bullet caliber would you expect to penetrate better? I am not denying your experiences or success, but it stands as a fact that two arrows well tuned, one with 40lbs KE and 100lbs KE. Assuming arrow speed is the same, The 100lb KE arrow will always out perform the other arrow on penetration. One should never take a shot that they are not comfortable with, but people still make bad shots on animals. I want as much going for me as possible for penetration if a bad shot is made. That is the entire point.

Aerosith

FNG

View attachment 588604
IMG_4559.jpeg
My first bull shot at 22 yards, perfect double lung heart shot. 70lb bow, 530gr arrow @277fps. Full pass through, I found the arrow 20 yards past where the bull was standing.

65Grendel

Lil-Rokslider
Check out APA. They make bows up to 100lbs. I went to a 80lb RX7 ultra this year and cant imagine going back to a 70lb bow. I will be looking at 90 next year. Just because most Americans cant do a pull up or deadlift their own weight doesn't mean I cant. If you can do it and maintain your form go for it man. Nothing will replace a good shot so keep training and good luck this year!

Zac

WKR
Check out APA. They make bows up to 100lbs. I went to a 80lb RX7 ultra this year and cant imagine going back to a 70lb bow. I will be looking at 90 next year. Just because most Americans cant do a pull up or deadlift their own weight doesn't mean I cant. If you can do it and maintain your form go for it man. Nothing will replace a good shot so keep training and good luck this year!
Working out has nothing to do with how much weight someone can, or should draw. Gym weight does not translate to draw weight.

Beendare

WKR
Working out has nothing to do with how much weight someone can, or should draw. Gym weight does not translate to draw weight.
Yep. It's like driving a semi truck cab back and forth to work......BECAUSE I CAN! Grin

Its overkill. More static hysterisis, more noise.

MattB

WKR
Years back I met an orthopedist that was an avid bowhunter. He stated that he pulled 53# because the shoulder joint is not designed to pull high weights and many of those who chose to do so would eventually be faced with shoulder issues. Based on the number of threads I have read about guys who were plenty strong enough to comfortably pull heavy bow weight but still ended up going under the knife for repairs due to long-term damage, I have come to the conclusion the juice is not worth the squeeze.

Aerosith

FNG
Years back I met an orthopedist that was an avid bowhunter. He stated that he pulled 53# because the shoulder joint is not designed to pull high weights and many of those who chose to do so would eventually be faced with shoulder issues. Based on the number of threads I have read about guys who were plenty strong enough to comfortably pull heavy bow weight but still ended up going under the knife for repairs due to long-term damage, I have come to the conclusion the juice is not worth the squeeze.
It just depends on how often you are shooting and if you can actually handle the weight "not all shoulders are created equal" . I shoot maybe 500-700 arrows per year at 82lbs, I can't imagine that is worse than shooting 2500 arrows per year out of a 70lb bow. You also have to realize that modern 80lb bows pull like 60-70lb bows did 20 years ago.