8x vs 10x

mthayr

WKR
Have you considered the Kowa 6.5x32 BD II XD? Compact, excellent optics (not Swaro or Leica, but waaay better than Vortex DB - and yes, I own all four brands mentioned), and great value. For brushy woods/archery, they're what I personally use. They make great truck binos too!

kthomas

FNG
In your terrain, 8x for sure. Looks similar to where I primarily hunt.

In terms of make/model, I’d suggest you look at the Leupold BX-4 8x42. I carry those most of the time for my whitetail hunting. I Love the open hinge design, they are very compact and great glass for the price.

Priced above the Leupold’s you could look at used Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 or Zeiss conquest 8x32. Both are better, but I’d say not by much. The Kowa genesis 8x33 would be an interesting option as well, but I’ve never looked through those.

The Kowa Genesis' give nothing up to Swaro's in glass quality, perhaps some small nuances that matter to some folks. Once you get to this level it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

I'm not sure if the Kowa Genesis are in the budget, but they are an excellent value for their quality, especially if you can get a deal. CameralandNY regularly has open box specials, I would look there.

I've been extremely pleased with my 10's.

grfox92

WKR
Life long New Yorker here who now lives in WY.

I can tell you without any doubt in my mind that exactly what you want is these right here in 8x.

I wouldn't spend anymore money for binoculars for the Northeast Hardwoods, you just won't gain anything for the distances you will be glassing.

I used them in 10x before moving and 8s would have been a better fit.

Edit: I saw someone mention the b3 in 8x. Those would be a great option as well.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
If your farthest shot is 150-200 yards an 8x would be a much better choice, bigger FOW, lighter and not as much shake when your trying to free hand them. As others have said-Mavens are highly recommended.

8's in as wide of FOV as you can find. The Nikon HG's have a great FOV vs the razors at the same price point. It's really nice to roll the focus to look through the brush. It's surprising how much more comes into view when you focus past the closer stuff. I started with a pair of diamondbacks years ago as well, even at 8x it's amazing what you'll realize you were missing when you upgrade to that $1k price point.

Have you considered the Kowa 6.5x32 BD II XD? Compact, excellent optics (not Swaro or Leica, but waaay better than Vortex DB - and yes, I own all four brands mentioned), and great value. For brushy woods/archery, they're what I personally use. They make great truck binos too!
What's your experience with the depth of field on those? I had the 8x32's for closer woodsy type stuff and sold them because it was a pain to scan between 0-200y. It was tack sharp in the middle when you got there on the focus wheel but it seemed like even out in the open it had a vary shallow sweet spot.

If higher magnification was better in all applications we’d see a lot of 15x56s hauled around the woods. Higher powered optics are extremely useful for picking apart distant landscapes or aging a ram at 400 yards, but not so much for locating and identifying game in the eastern woods.

It’s generally best to choose an optic based on its primary intended use. For eastern hardwoods a light, easy-handling 8x42 with at least an average FOV is pretty much on target = very good in low light, handy enough for still-hunting and one-handed use, easy to find the subject in very busy environments.

I’ve also used 8x32s and find them very good, but some of today’s 8x42s are very compact with great handling. Although the optical advantages of a 42mm are always there they are really apparent as daylight fades.

Would definitely recommend saving a few $ and getting into the $1k class, if possible. Personally favor either a Nikon Monarch HG or Maven B1.2 for a woods-hunting glass in that price range.

BLJ

WKR
I’m in WV. Similar terrain. I’ve been using Leupold Yosemite 6x for 2 years. They work for me. I prefer them over 8x for FOV. They’re out of production now but very affordable on the used market. I believe Kowa makes a model that is comparable.

That being said, in my research with a similar budget, Maven keeps being mentioned. IMO.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
I've recently bought a pair of Kowa 6.5x32 BDIIs and they are rather excellent.
For hunting within 200yards I wouldn't go for 10x, 8x maximum and strongly consider less.

I have a pair of Althon Cronus 10x42s which have quite a wide FOV for a 10x and find them annoying to use inside of 300yards. Out past 600yards the extra magnification is nice but closer than that scanning for targets is a real pain.
I also tend to use them on a tripod as the wobble you get really limits the detail you can see.

The 6.5x by contrast are a delight to hand hold and scan for targets/animals.

For Eastern deer hunting stick with a higher quality 8x bino like the Vortex Razor. If you decide to get into the Western game go 10x42.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
it's really a personal preference. Some guys swear by 8's while others 10's. If the majority of my hunting was in thick/close bush, I personally opt for 8x with at least a 40 mm on lenses. (To me) seem to be brighter than some of the more compact options and the image is steadier in hand. Saying that, brightness is probably the most important consideration as it can be downright dark in some of the thick costal blacktail bush I hunt.

I used 8x out west elk, deer, and bear hunting for years and it wasn't until recently changed to 10x for my open country stuff. That decision had more to do with my eyesight changing then my 8x not getting the job done in the more open country. (but I still prefer the 8x in the thick stuff)

I recommend trying to borrow a set of a different power and trying them out and determining for yourself. My only comment on brand/quality this. Don't think I'd ever recommend a pair of $60 tasco's but not everyone needs alpha glass. Determin your requirement and buy what meets that need.

In the end, comes down to what works best for your eyes, your hunting areas/style, and your expectations and how you use them.

Last edited:

tony

WKR
I just bought a set of these to go along with a set of BD2 10x40s. Yeah I really don't care for china made. But they are damn fine binos for the money. Stuck a Rick Young harness on them as well.
Still playing around with them and hope to do an amateur review soon.

I’m a pure north east woods hunter. I’d love to get out west sometime but life doesn’t allow for that at the moment. I’ve currently got a pair of Vortex Diamondback 10 x 50 (non HD) and there’s nothing wrong with them per say. There were just more occasions this year where I wished I had better quality glass (low light, slight fog, more chromatic aberrations scanning in sunny woods etc) than I have noticed in the past several years combined.

This has made me want to upgrade to a higher tier of glass. I’m not biased towards any brand and I’d like to keep it in the 6-8 hundred range if possible but I’ve got time to save up a little extra if need be. I’m wondering what you guys suggest for typical North East woods (western NY/souther tier to be specific)?

Edit: I should also add that I really primarily do hunt woods and very little open field. There’s only one field that I have access to that’s open and that’s in a loose sense as only half of it is open and the rest is grape vineyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive got some 8x42 GPO Passion HD that Im lookin to part with. They are incredible glass but I just bought some Zeiss. Msrp is 850-1000 but Id take $650. https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/gpo-passion-hd-10x42.244583/A0D23D13-6757-41D1-8B8D-3A4D3F93E2CF.jpeg0B2C0A19-635B-4360-ADE0-229DB979032B.jpeg

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a pair of Maven B1.2 8x42 and was very impressed with the low light, steadiness, color and focus. I hunt the Oregon coast a lot so I wanted those features. Good glass for just above your price range.
I also have the C1 10x42 and the b6 10x50 and like them too.
The 10x42’s are staying as a back up pair, and the 10x50’s are dedicated open country tripod glass.
IMO the maven demo plan is a good option for the cost of shipping. I’ve been impressed by their stuff. Good customer service too.
Sorry but that’s a long winded way of saying 8’s are probably what you’re looking for.
T2F

OP
F

ffiivvee

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a pair of Maven B1.2 8x42 and was very impressed with the low light, steadiness, color and focus. I hunt the Oregon coast a lot so I wanted those features. Good glass for just above your price range.
I also have the C1 10x42 and the b6 10x50 and like them too.
The 10x42’s are staying as a back up pair, and the 10x50’s are dedicated open country tripod glass.
IMO the maven demo plan is a good option for the cost of shipping. I’ve been impressed by their stuff. Good customer service too.
Sorry but that’s a long winded way of saying 8’s are probably what you’re looking for.
T2F

Yeah I am definitely going to be getting 8x with whatever I go with next. I was at Cabelas today and looked at the vortex stuff because they had everything from Diamondback to Razor UHD and I loved the view and clarity that the 8x gave. I could definitely tell the difference in brightness between the 8x and 10x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trevor96

Lil-Rokslider
Another option is keep your eyes open for older Swarovski SLCs. I've seen those in the classifieds for around $700 a few times

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
I was at Cabelas today and looked at the vortex stuff because they had everything from Diamondback to Razor UHD and I loved the view and clarity that the 8x gave.
How was the difference between the Diamondback and Razor models? Pretty noticeable or not so much?

How was the difference between the Diamondback and Razor models? Pretty noticeable or not so much?
Massive upgrade to the Razor HD, minor upgrade from Razor HD to UHD. Quite a bit of CA and edge falloff on the DB-HD's. The Razor HD's have the APO lenses that control CA really well, and crisp image right up close to the edge. They're not the greatest image in the $1K price range but they compete fairly well overall.