8x vs 10x vs 12x Binoculars

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi everyone! Happy New Year to you all. A topic that always interests us is the discussion about 8x vs 10x vs 12x binoculars. Some hunters swear by higher magnification no matter where they hunt. In the eastern hardwoods, for example, would you prefer magnification over field of view? Or is a wider FOV your key to seeing more deer?
On the flip side, is the highest magnification you can get your hands on always the best option for the expansive landscapes of the west? Is image stability an issue if you go too high?

As always, we appreciate any feedback and look forward to hearing about your experiences!

Firehawk

WKR
Hey JW!

I tried to go down the 10x all around, every day carry binocular route. I struggled to keep them steady and unless I used a tripod, or trekking pole or similar, I didn't get the view I should have. Eventually I went with 8x binos and it was significantly better for me, especially when hand holding the bino.

I only hunt out West, and mostly in the open sage/aspen type of habitat. I have not felt at disadvantage for only using an 8x versus a 10x. When I consider how hard it was for me to hold a 10x steady enough, I am really comfortable with less magnification.

I do carry either a spotter or 15x or both if long glassing sessions are in order in open country though. But they are always on a tripod.

nobody

WKR
Being a Western big game hunter, I feel a 10x binocular is the perfect compromise for anything and everything I would ever hunt. An 8x leaves me wanting just a bit more reach, and a 12x is too hard to hold still when I'm winded from hiking. If it needs to look like it's more than 10 times closer than it actually is, I'll walk a bit further or pull out a spotting scope and a tripod!

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I’m also in the 10x camp. I think 10s and a spotter or 10s and 15/18x on a tripod is the ideal setup for me. I think the difference between 10-12 is less than the difference between 12-15 and if I’m going for big magnification I’d rather step up to a spotting scope or larger binos. That being said I do have a set of 8x I use mostly archery elk hunting in some of the more heavily timbered areas. I bought those because I got a good deal on them and I like binoculars, I’m not sure if they really are a big advantage over my 10s. I live/hunt in wyoming

Assuming that you can only afford one pair of quality binoculars...
* If you hunt in thick stuff, then go with 8s or smaller.
* If you hunt primarily in thick stuff with somewhat regular hunts in open spaces, go with 10s.
* If you hunt primarily in open spaces, go with 12s or 15s.

No matter what route you go, there will be compromises if you use them outside your primary hunting area.

If you go out west, put whatever binocular you have on a tripod. Take two people with the same skill level and binoculars; one handholds the binoculars and the other uses a tripod. The tripod user will find more game than the one handholding his binoculars. More power to the those that glass with a spotter; tried that and it was not for me. I'll stick with my SLC 10s or 15s and pull out the STX when needed.

The clarity of glass has a greater impact on your ability to find game than magnification. I'd rather take my SLC 10s in the field to glass than a pair of 12x/15x Wal-Mart specials. Here are two real life examples:

1) Hunting axis deer in Hawaii. Could not see the herd with my Viper HD 8s. But I could see the herd very clearly with the guide's EL 8s. Same magnification but significantly different optical clarity.

2) Looked at a full moon with an old Vortex Nomad spotting scope. Saw enough detail to like what I saw (ignorance is bliss). Looked at the same moon (in order) with my Viper 8s, SLC 10s, and SLC 15s. Despite significantly less magnification than the Nomad, I saw a lot more detail due to better optical clarity. On a related note, my SLC 10s blew away the Vipers and the SLC 15s (thanks to additional magnification but same optical clarity) were better than the SLC 10s. On a more comparable magnification comparison, my STX 65 blew away the Nomad. The optical clarity was not even close. Then for grins I looked at the same moon with my STX 95. It was impressive.

BangNasty

FNG
I have a 6x rangefinder, so i feel an 8x bino might be a bit of an overlap so I decided to only look at 10x's. is this sound philosphy?

Firehawk

WKR
Adding to what I said earlier, if I could have held the 10x steady with just my hands, I would have just stayed with the 10x as my primary bino. 8x I could handhold, so they won. But...when making my primary bino selection a few years ago, I had a Leica Duovid 8-12 and I liked it alot. I was looking at something with a tripod adapter, a little lighter, better warranty and really just to spend some extra money I had kicking around. I was learning more and more about Maven who was bursting into the scene (and soon after Tract did as well). I connected well with them prior to the Hunt Expo and then met them personally there and confirmed how I was feeling.

Maven didn't make an 8x in the B2 and I liked the B2 better than the B1 so upon making my decision, my primary binocular is a 9x45 Maven B2 and it is terrific. If I am particularly tired or winded, I do still see some shake when handheld, but not a significant amount and if I really need to carefully scrutinize and pick apart the area I am glassing, I sit down and brace on my knees or use my tripod.

I have a 6x rangefinder, so i feel an 8x bino might be a bit of an overlap so I decided to only look at 10x's. is this sound philosphy?
If you use your rangefinder only for quick looks, then it works just fine. If it is more than a quick peak, then the answer is likely "no". I regularly grab my rangefinder when closing the distance on an animal in order to take a shot or if I need a quick peak for something "relatively" close and I am moving. Unless I suffer a catastrophic failure on my binoculars and spotter, I will not use my rangefinder to glass.

Here is a tongue-in-cheek way to see if relying on a rangefinder to find game works for you:

Have a co-worker hide a few items within X number of yards (based upon your typical line of site distances where you hunt). These items need to be dull colored, mostly obscured and barely visible; think the tip of an antler just being visible and nothing else. Your co-worker cannot tell you where he hid them. Go outside during your lunch break and only use your rangefinder to find them. Were you successful?

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey JW!

I tried to go down the 10x all around, every day carry binocular route. I struggled to keep them steady and unless I used a tripod, or trekking pole or similar, I didn't get the view I should have. Eventually I went with 8x binos and it was significantly better for me, especially when hand holding the bino.

I only hunt out West, and mostly in the open sage/aspen type of habitat. I have not felt at disadvantage for only using an 8x versus a 10x. When I consider how hard it was for me to hold a 10x steady enough, I am really comfortable with less magnification.

I do carry either a spotter or 15x or both if long glassing sessions are in order in open country though. But they are always on a tripod.
This is great insight, both what you wrote here and below. I live out West as well and know the difficulty the terrain can create in holding steady after an uphill climb. One of our founders taught me what he calls the "human tripod" several years ago where you anchor your elbows to your knees while seated, like what you do. When you're breathing hard the wide FOV plays a significant role. Thanks again for your feedback!

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Being a Western big game hunter, I feel a 10x binocular is the perfect compromise for anything and everything I would ever hunt. An 8x leaves me wanting just a bit more reach, and a 12x is too hard to hold still when I'm winded from hiking. If it needs to look like it's more than 10 times closer than it actually is, I'll walk a bit further or pull out a spotting scope and a tripod!
Great point. The 10x does provide a nice balance until the need for a more powerful optic and some stability are warranted. Thank you for your comment.

ChrisAU

WKR
Eastern hunting...8x. Always hand holding when walking around or sitting in a tree.

Western...10x or 12x for tripod.

BangNasty

FNG
If you use your rangefinder only for quick looks, then it works just fine. If it is more than a quick peak, then the answer is likely "no". I regularly grab my rangefinder when closing the distance on an animal in order to take a shot or if I need a quick peak for something "relatively" close and I am moving. Unless I suffer a catastrophic failure on my binoculars and spotter, I will not use my rangefinder to glass.

Here is a tongue-in-cheek way to see if relying on a rangefinder to find game works for you:

Have a co-worker hide a few items within X number of yards (based upon your typical line of site distances where you hunt). These items need to be dull colored, mostly obscured and barely visible; think the tip of an antler just being visible and nothing else. Your co-worker cannot tell you where he hid them. Go outside during your lunch break and only use your rangefinder to find them. Were you successful?
This sounds like a fun activity, I'll try it out. but yes, for quick looks, not trying to glass anything with them.

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m also in the 10x camp. I think 10s and a spotter or 10s and 15/18x on a tripod is the ideal setup for me. I think the difference between 10-12 is less than the difference between 12-15 and if I’m going for big magnification I’d rather step up to a spotting scope or larger binos. That being said I do have a set of 8x I use mostly archery elk hunting in some of the more heavily timbered areas. I bought those because I got a good deal on them and I like binoculars, I’m not sure if they really are a big advantage over my 10s. I live/hunt in wyoming
It sounds like you have your optics set up dialed in nicely. Thanks for the feedback!

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Eastern hunting...8x. Always hand holding when walking around or sitting in a tree.

Western...10x or 12x for tripod.
Great point indeed. That wide of FOV is important in the East. Based on your handle dare I say War Eagle? I'm an Auburn grad. Thanks for the feedback!

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Assuming that you can only afford one pair of quality binoculars...
* If you hunt in thick stuff, then go with 8s or smaller.
* If you hunt primarily in thick stuff with somewhat regular hunts in open spaces, go with 10s.
* If you hunt primarily in open spaces, go with 12s or 15s.

No matter what route you go, there will be compromises if you use them outside your primary hunting area.

If you go out west, put whatever binocular you have on a tripod. Take two people with the same skill level and binoculars; one handholds the binoculars and the other uses a tripod. The tripod user will find more game than the one handholding his binoculars. More power to the those that glass with a spotter; tried that and it was not for me. I'll stick with my SLC 10s or 15s and pull out the STX when needed.

The clarity of glass has a greater impact on your ability to find game than magnification. I'd rather take my SLC 10s in the field to glass than a pair of 12x/15x Wal-Mart specials. Here are two real life examples:

1) Hunting axis deer in Hawaii. Could not see the herd with my Viper HD 8s. But I could see the herd very clearly with the guide's EL 8s. Same magnification but significantly different optical clarity.

2) Looked at a full moon with an old Vortex Nomad spotting scope. Saw enough detail to like what I saw (ignorance is bliss). Looked at the same moon (in order) with my Viper 8s, SLC 10s, and SLC 15s. Despite significantly less magnification than the Nomad, I saw a lot more detail due to better optical clarity. On a related note, my SLC 10s blew away the Vipers and the SLC 15s (thanks to additional magnification but same optical clarity) were better than the SLC 10s. On a more comparable magnification comparison, my STX 65 blew away the Nomad. The optical clarity was not even close. Then for grins I looked at the same moon with my STX 95. It was impressive.
Excellent points. What's inside is always a critical factor in overall quality of the bino. That Hawaiian hunt sounds like quite the adventure. Thanks for your feedback!