80's winchester 670 30/06 for elk

H

HappyHuntr

Hey folks, I'm 15 and have a hand-me-down 670 (winchesters bolt action 670, not the rem. pump) 30/06 that i'm thinking about using for deer and elk. Needs a new scope and a gunsmiths look over. Should i fix it up or just get me a savage axis/ ruger american or other inexpensive rifle in 7mm mag, 308, or 30/06?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I shot a lot of elk, mule deer and pronghorn with an old Remington 700 adl (blind mag box, plastic stock, rubbed off bluing). It was the only gun I had for many years.

I like nice guns as much as anybody but I also think the rifle is not even in the top 5 things guys should worry about. Boots, packs, raingear, sleep systems, optics etc are all more important. You can kill elk with a 200 dollar budget rifle just as well as with a 7000 dollar custom.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
The 670 will treat you very well. As mentioned above, spend your money on hunting gear, ammo and a new scope.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Those can be sweet old guns 196?-1979, the trigger is better than the axis for sure, what kinda safety does it have?
the -06 is a great elk and deer round
any 165-180gr ammunition off the shelf should be fine for hunting out to 350-400 yards
good luck in the field

Last edited:

CCH

WKR
It is way better than any rifle you mentioned, and the .30-06 is all you'll ever need. You may want something else, but you won't need it. I bought a Winchester 70 Ranger (sort of the last iteration of the 670) when I was 18 and it remains one of the most accurate rifles I've owned. Putting money into optics is a way better priority. Personally, I put binos first, then scope.

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
Spend your money on solid optics and rings. If it doesn't shoot well for you as is, bed the action, free float the barrel, adjust the trigger, and maybe add a new recoil pad. 670s are good rifles. You won't regret it over a newer budget rifle.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Decided to put a nice scope and possibly a Boyd’s stock on there