$80.00 dollars to save 11oz?

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
What are you guys willing to pay to save on weight? I'm new gathering gear 2 sleeping bags, same manufacter compress to same size, same cold rating,but 11 oz in weight. That 80 bucks could be used on optics, boots ect.

Where is the line?

yes!
i feel under $100/lb is good savings. sleeping bag is an item where price almost directly effects weight...
of course, this is the wrong place to ask, anyone at AA want a beer?

I will not spend $20 to save 1 oz on an already owned piece of gear, if it's something I need then I'll spend more up front. I think to upgrade a piece just for weight I'll spend $150 per lb for most areas of gear.

OP
K

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
The item is kelty sleeping bag, the new trail logic 20 800 fill 2.1 oz 299.99 vs
dri down 20 2.12 oz 219.00 last years flag ship bag.

OP
K

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
Made from a more technical material is what they told me, fabric wise.

OP
K

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
One has 800 fill down vs 600 what's that mean? Weight or warmth? Or both

OP
K

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I think I will just spend the extra and buy right the 1st time.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Without a doubt, get the lighter one!

Here is some info on down fill rating.

Fill power is the most frequently used measure of down quality. It involves measurements taken of a one ounce sample of down in a plexiglas cylinder with a weighted piston compressing the down. The test requires controlled temperature, humidity, and preparation of the sample. All other things being equal a parka (duvet or sleeping bag) made with high fill power is lighter and more compressible than an equally warm one made with lower quality down. Fill power is expressed as cubic inches per ounce (in³/oz)—a lofting power of 400–450 is considered medium quality, 500-550 is considered good, 550–750 is considered very good, and 750+ is considered excellent.

750+ fill is quite different from 400 fills. Almost all down commercially available is a secondary product of geese raised for consumption. It would be prohibitively expensive to raise geese for down alone. The geese that are the source for lower fill down are about four months old when they are "harvested" for food. Down from these geese can be carefully sorted, washed, and blended, but it will never loft like really mature down. The 700+ down fill comes from a small number of birds kept for breeding purposes throughout the year. These geese molt naturally in the spring. While their down is loose it is collected by hand. It is very rare and, of course, expensive. The larger individual plumules are what gives the greater loft. The only way to get down of this quality is by careful hand selection which is the major factor in its scarcity.

charvey9

WKR
Are you kidding me? Where do I sign up? Here, take my credit card info.....

Ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain. 11 for $80 seems cheap to me. Of course, that is only if you can afford it. It isn't neccessary, and not likely to make a difference in your hunt but might make each step easier and allow you go farther/longer when you add it all up.

charvey9

WKR
Without a doubt, get the lighter one!

Here is some info on down fill rating.

Fill power is the most frequently used measure of down quality. It involves measurements taken of a one ounce sample of down in a plexiglas cylinder with a weighted piston compressing the down. The test requires controlled temperature, humidity, and preparation of the sample. All other things being equal a parka (duvet or sleeping bag) made with high fill power is lighter and more compressible than an equally warm one made with lower quality down. Fill power is expressed as cubic inches per ounce (in³/oz)—a lofting power of 400–450 is considered medium quality, 500-550 is considered good, 550–750 is considered very good, and 750+ is considered excellent.

750+ fill is quite different from 400 fills. Almost all down commercially available is a secondary product of geese raised for consumption. It would be prohibitively expensive to raise geese for down alone. The geese that are the source for lower fill down are about four months old when they are "harvested" for food. Down from these geese can be carefully sorted, washed, and blended, but it will never loft like really mature down. The 700+ down fill comes from a small number of birds kept for breeding purposes throughout the year. These geese molt naturally in the spring. While their down is loose it is collected by hand. It is very rare and, of course, expensive. The larger individual plumules are what gives the greater loft. The only way to get down of this quality is by careful hand selection which is the major factor in its scarcity.

Thats pretty interesting. Amazing what you learn trolling the forums.

russ_outdoors

Lil-Rokslider
I would pay the extra to save weight. $80 for 11 oz to me is a good trade off. Especially for a long term investment like a sleeping bag.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I just paid $180 extra on my bivy shelter to go from 21 oz to 14 oz on my bivy/solo shelter. So $80 is a bargain at this point. :D

idig4au

WKR
Heck yes, I would spend 80$ to save 11 oz....that is a good $/oz saving ratio for sure. I'm now spending a stupid amount to save an oz or two from my gear list. I wish I could find a way to save 11 oz for only $80!!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me if I can't shave the weight elsewhere ie around the belt line and it is replacing something that is inferior or needs replacing then I would go for it. We all like gear just be careful placing to much emphasis on gear when other items on the list may help you fill you tag better than saving 11oz:) there are so many options today which is great but sometimes I say to myself will this help me fill my tag any better than what I have currently? These decisions can be tough and for each of us there is a different answer.