7SAW Bullet

ruger35

FNG
I recently built a 6.5PRC on a Lone Peak Razor Ti in a long action and have been enjoying that gun, but after running across the 7SAW I really liked the cartridge. Especially running on a short action 308 bolt, which I have 3 of. Had an order in at Straight Jacket for one of their Sig Cross rifles, and decided to get it done in 7SAW.

At home it’s mostly whitetail within a couple hundred yards, but I plan on starting at least one guided hunt out west next year. Will probably start with Mule Deer. What would you experienced Western hunters recommend for a 20” SAW? I will be running suppressed so I was hoping if I ran maybe up to 175 Bergers at 2650 I’d be good. Due to this forum I have been looking at the TGK rounds as well.

180ls1

WKR
Its fun to nerd out about that stuff but the 6.5prc is a fine western caliber and your thoughts/effort/$$$ is better spend elsewhere I'm betting.

OP
R

ruger35

FNG
Its fun to nerd out about that stuff but the 6.5prc is a fine western caliber and your thoughts/effort/$$$ is better spend elsewhere I'm betting.
I don’t disagree, I had already ordered the Cross in 6.5CM as a truck/range toy and got the 7SAW itch. It was minimal money to add that barrel. I really just like building guns if I’m being honest lol, my short action collection far outweighs my long actions. Scopes are just too darn expensive lol.

LightFoot

WKR
My understanding is the 7SAW performs extremely well with the 162 ELDX. I would think the 168 Berger would be great, too.

For reference, my 20” 7PRC spits a 180 ELDM a little under 2700.

I think the 162 will get you out as far as you want to shoot. That’s what I’d load for a 7SAW.

>>>——JAKE——>

TxLite

WKR
175 Berger would work but I’d probably pick the 162 eldm for that set up. Velocity would be great for a good ways out and they’ve performed well on game for a lot of folks.
This is pretty slow for a 7prc unless you’re shooting Hornady factory ammo. With the right powder combo you should be able to push it quite a bit faster. My 18” is sending 180 hybrids at 2850 with N570.

LightFoot

WKR
175 Berger would work but I’d probably pick the 162 eldm for that set up. Velocity would be great for a good ways out and they’ve performed well on game for a lot of folks.

This is pretty slow for a 7prc unless you’re shooting Hornady factory ammo. With the right powder combo you should be able to push it quite a bit faster. My 18” is sending 180 hybrids at 2850 with N570.

Yes… factory hornady

>>>——JAKE——>

OP
R

ruger35

FNG
Thanks for the recs and I know inside of 600 yards ELD-M’s fly well, but I got tired of sorting them by length for our local 600 yard FPR competitions. I’ll look again at the 162 ELD-X as well.

OP
R

ruger35

FNG
My understanding is the 7SAW performs extremely well with the 162 ELDX. I would think the 168 Berger would be great, too.

I think the 162 will get you out as far as you want to shoot. That’s what I’d load for a 7SAW.

>>>——JAKE——>
I really want to build a short 7PRC, but feel like you need some weight for the recoil and spotting shots. My 7PRC now is a comp style build and shooting suppressed it’s a nice recoil, but not unmanageable. What weight are you running for the rifle?

My favorite 7mm bullet is the 162gr ELD-M. They are MEAN and critters die fast. You can read my post about the animals I have killed and seen killed with them on this thread.