7prc vs 6mm creedmoor

A suppressed 7prc and you have a flinch from it? My 7PRC is only 6 lbs scoped and loaded and with just the factory brake its like a normal weight 7-08. How is a 6 Creed going to be much lighter recoil than that?
In a 6 pound rifle...

A 175 grain 7PRC at 2900fps (24") is delivering around 38ft. lbs of recoil.
- 26.6ft. lbs with a generous 30% reduction from can or brake
A 150 grain 7-08 at 2700fps (24") is delivering around 19ft. lbs of recoil.
- 13.3ft. lbs with 30% reduction from can or brake
A 105 grain 6CM at 3000fps (24") is delivering around 15ft lbs of recoil.
-10.5ft. lbs with a 30% reduction from can or brake

The 7PRC has punishing recoil and is uncomfortable for average shooters even braked or suppressed, especially in a lightweight setup.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Not belittling your decision at all, because the 6 PRC is awesome, but here is a reference for people.

600 yards, 10 mph full value wind.
5000 DA, 112 Match Burner

6 CM at 2950 fps: 16.7 “ wind drift.
6 PRC at 3150 fps: 15.4”
Delta of 1.3”

1800 fps
6 CM: 975
6 PRC: 1100
For the record, building a 6 PRC cause my 7 thumps too much, and I have a custom mag bolt face, otherwise 100% with you here. I’m going to pretend like I didn’t read the sanity presented in this post though…..you HAVE got me thinking 18” over 20” now though, since suppressed.

For the record, building a 6 PRC cause my 7 thumps too much, and I have a custom mag bolt face, otherwise 100% with you here. I’m going to pretend like I didn’t read the sanity presented in this post though…..you HAVE got me thinking 18” over 20” now though, since suppressed.
Since sanity is out the window.. I think you should just build an 18” 22 PRC.IMG_3884.jpeg

199p

Lil-Rokslider
Nice man, i am going 17" suppressed and planning on shooting the 108s.
Should be a sweet set up and will replace my 16" 6.5cm bit more horsepower and smash the wind.
Many of the spots i hunt in are quite tight creek heads and i mostly built the 7prc to run good on factory ammo. the 6 will be the main go too.

Whats the specs on your the 22prc mate? looks epic

Should be a sweet set up and will replace my 16" 6.5cm bit more horsepower and smash the wind.
Many of the spots i hunt in are quite tight creek heads and i mostly built the 7prc to run good on factory ammo. the 6 will be the main go too.

Photo stolen from the 22 CM thread. I believe it was just a mock up.

OP
Oregonhuntrboi

I like your plan. I’m planning on buying a seekins ph2 in 6 creed and have straight jacket armory install a pre fit 16.5 inch proof barrel and shoot the 108 gr eldm.

199p

Lil-Rokslider
I like your plan. I’m planning on buying a seekins ph2 in 6 creed and have straight jacket armory install a pre fit 16.5 inch proof barrel and shoot the 108 gr eldm.
Nice man, im buiding a sister to the 7prc,
Pierce shadow
bartlein 2b
trigger tech trigger
Stockies Vertical hunter stock

IMO, 7 prc is a good do all big game hunting cartridge. 6mm creedmoor for smaller game is about as much overlap as you get.

I switched from a 300 win to 6.5 saum for my primary elk rifle. No break or suppressor and I couldn’t be happier. Very fun gun to shoot with enough bc to carry good energy to 500 yds. I think your thoughts on a 6.5 prc would be good. Little more options for heavier bullets. Best wishes

MT_Wyatt

WKR

I have pretty similar reasoning - it’s a 6mm, 22 PRC is a step too far for me, ha. I’m spinning my 7 PRC barrel off but keeping it, it’s a carbon six 20” sendero. Build based on custom from last year, Lone Peak Fuzion TI action w/alpine port, TT special trigger. New barrel will be steel Ace, 1:8 6 PRC, threaded for suppressor, likely spiral fluted. Was using a McMillan GW2.0 but struggled with trigger reach, trying out a folding XLR Mg chassis now, so far accuracy difference is negligible. Waiting on a poly MDT mag to use with the chassis, the aics metal ones are so silly heavy.

I have pretty similar reasoning - it’s a 6mm, 22 PRC is a step too far for me, ha. I’m spinning my 7 PRC barrel off but keeping it, it’s a carbon six 20” sendero. Build based on custom from last year, Lone Peak Fuzion TI action w/alpine port, TT special trigger. New barrel will be steel Ace, 1:8 6 PRC, threaded for suppressor, likely spiral fluted. Was using a McMillan GW2.0 but struggled with trigger reach, trying out a folding XLR Mg chassis now, so far accuracy difference is negligible. Waiting on a poly MDT mag to use with the chassis, the aics metal ones are so silly heavy.
Will the poly 7PRC mag work with the XLR?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Will the poly 7PRC mag work with the XLR?
I do not 100% know that for sure, it is AICs pattern but have learned mags have a lot of variances and styles. It’s a 3.85 mag well and the mag is that length. I might drop a line to XLR today and see if they’ve tried that specific mag.

They make a 7 PRC specific one and say the 300 WM version won’t feed it, but this product listing addressed other chassis brands besides MDT on fitment.

I actually asked Hawkins if they were looking at a hunter DBM chassis mag in LA like they offer in SA but haven’t heard back.

IMO, 7 prc is a good do all big game hunting cartridge. 6mm creedmoor for smaller game is about as much overlap as you get.
You're new here, and I recommend reading the 6mm/.243 success on big game thread when you have some time. Your mind may be opened. With the right bullets and fast twist barrels, the 6 creed and .243 are more than capable of killing big game.

I do not 100% know that for sure, it is AICs pattern but have learned mags have a lot of variances and styles. It’s a 3.85 mag well and the mag is that length. I might drop a line to XLR today and see if they’ve tried that specific mag.

They make a 7 PRC specific one and say the 300 WM version won’t feed it, but this product listing addressed other chassis brands besides MDT on fitment.

I actually asked Hawkins if they were looking at a hunter DBM chassis mag in LA like they offer in SA but haven’t heard back.
I asked Hawkins that exact question last year and was told a very firm no. It’s so weird to me the only option are these shitty heavy metal AICS mags.

Also, let me know what you hear from XLR.

You're new here, and I recommend reading the 6mm/.243 success on big game thread when you have some time. Your mind may be opened. With the right bullets and fast twist barrels, the 6 creed and .243 are more than capable of killing big game.

For your reading pleasure ;)

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Also, let me know what you hear from XLR.
@XLR said they look like they will work fine, but has not specifically tested the MDT 3-round polys, just got an email back from them. They were interested to hear what my experience was but mentioned that the pattern/dims all looked like they'd check out. I backordered a 7 PRC specific one to use, but "8-10 weeks" is backorder right now...

Hawkins never got back to me on the chassis LA Hunter DBM, but I'd be pretty jazzed with this lighter poly option.