7prc vs 6mm creedmoor

Eating some humble pie and trying to be honest and objective with myself on what the most effective cartridge I should be shooting given my goals. I drank the marketing cool aid before and always thought bigger was better and “energy” was king.
So to be clear, I hunt out west and after trial/error/ and much practice I’ve decided 500 yards will be my max limit on game ( given a solid rest, angle of animal, and minimal wind ). I currently am shooting a 7mm prc and I have developed a pretty good flinch, can’t view where my shots hit, with it and struggle to stay in site picture. Soooo I’m considering switching to a 6mm creed or 6.5 prc. Sounds like given the minimum bullet expansion of 1800 fps a 6mm creed would be effective on elk to 500 yards. Before I commit to the switch I just wanted to get some final input from fellow members here With some objective opinions on 6mm creed vs 6.5 prc for an all around hunting rifle to a max of 500 yards. Thanks all!

LightFoot

WKR
There are a whole lot of people using 6mm for elk. The guys in the Rolling Bones podcast are all about it for the ability to spot impacts and fast follow-ups.

A good brake or suppressor and stock geometry could make the 7PRC more manageable.

No doubt the 6 Creed will do what you want it to do. I tend to lean toward 0.284 or bigger for the “big” stuff. Also consider 7SAW if you reload.

Get most reliable optics and rifle you can afford. Shoot premium ammunition. Practice and get perfect DOPE. Take only shots where you have confidence.

>>>——JAKE——>

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot both calibers and have the rifles both set up very similar. Like said above I’d put a good 4 port + brake on that thing before I’d pay the money to switch, if you have other guns maybe set one up the same in 223 or similar to practice with?

Boltgun

Lil-Rokslider
Eating some humble pie and trying to be honest and objective with myself on what the most effective cartridge I should be shooting given my goals. I drank the marketing cool aid before and always thought bigger was better and “energy” was king.
So to be clear, I hunt out west and after trial/error/ and much practice I’ve decided 500 yards will be my max limit on game ( given a solid rest, angle of animal, and minimal wind ). I currently am shooting a 7mm prc and I have developed a pretty good flinch, can’t view where my shots hit, with it and struggle to stay in site picture. Soooo I’m considering switching to a 6mm creed or 6.5 prc. Sounds like given the minimum bullet expansion of 1800 fps a 6mm creed would be effective on elk to 500 yards. Before I commit to the switch I just wanted to get some final input from fellow members here With some objective opinions on 6mm creed vs 6.5 prc for an all around hunting rifle to a max of 500 yards. Thanks all!
Are you already running a suppressor? Because that makes a world of difference.

TaperPin

WKR
A smaller trainer/plinker/deer/antelope/coyote cartridge is a highly recommended addition to a larger caliber. Nobody does well shooting a large volume of a big kicking gun, but most people that practice with a smaller rifle, shoot something larger just fine in the field, but everyone has a limit - you need to get over the flinch as priority #1. The stereotypical light gun in our family has been a 243 - it still has a little pop to it so it helps keep a guy used to recoil, but most people shoot it well. A 6 Creed would do the same.

Many guys will try to sell you on a creed for everything, but the ballistics of the 7PRC/7Rem mag is very very well proven with over half a century of great results.

Last edited:

Duh

WKR
Recently made the switch from a 300 win mag to a 6 creed and I’ve got no worries about it at all. Shot the 300 well but spotting impacts inside of 400-500 yards was hard.

I might do a 6 PRC primal or 6UM if I want more performance down the road but for now I’ll set forth and kill with the creed.

Boltgun

Lil-Rokslider
I have found 6.5 PRC suppressed to be very manageable, but if you are overcoming a flinch the smaller caliber might help you get there faster.

Another consideration: I cut a tikka 6.5 Creedmoor to 18”, and still have velocity for ELDX performance past 500 yards. If you just want a 500 yard elk rifle, that would fit the bill with more factory available options than 6mm CM. And if you decide that it’s more than enough or you want more range later on, when you wear out the barrel you can rebarrel to 6mm.

A suppressed 7prc and you have a flinch from it? My 7PRC is only 6 lbs scoped and loaded and with just the factory brake its like a normal weight 7-08. How is a 6 Creed going to be much lighter recoil than that? I have zero interest in spotting shots inside 500 yards....never needed it for 50 years and its way over-rated. Much farther ranges, then it might be useful. If the dope is right and your hold is solid the animal is dead. Maybe a bit more range practice will cure that flinch and the lack of confidence. Lots of ways to cure a flinch.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
A suppressed 7prc and you have a flinch from it? My 7PRC is only 6 lbs scoped and loaded and with just the factory brake its like a normal weight 7-08. How is a 6 Creed going to be much lighter recoil than that? I have zero interest in spotting shots inside 500 yards....never needed it for 50 years and its way over-rated. Much farther ranges, then it might be useful. If the dope is right and your hold is solid the animal is dead. Maybe a bit more range practice will cure that flinch and the lack of confidence. Lots of ways to cure a flinch.
Just shot a box through and 8.5lb 7 PRC this AM, suppressed, and yes in fact it can actually cause pain. Entirely dependent on position, layers, body, stock geometry, and tolerance. I would say suppressed 7PRC is significantly more recoil than 6 creedmoor, have shot both side by side in similar weight platforms.

Nevermind the subjective opinions, but can you expound on how a 10 ft lb recoiling 6 CM is not going to be much lighter recoiling than a 38 ft lb recoiling 7 PRC?

IMG_3879.png

Duh

WKR
I’ll attach the trigger cam onto my 6 creed the next time I go shoot. Was my first time shooting one after I bought it the other week and I was very surprised I could spot my shots at 100 yards on paper with the magnification turned up.

I got the Seekins ph2, 24 inch barrel. Shooting with a NX8 and Tbac Ultra 9 attached.

I also have a factory Sig Cross 6.5 creed, 18inch barrel, and Howa 1500 6.5 creed, 24 inch barrel, in an aluminum XLR chassis to compare to the 6 creed. To me, there is a noticeable recoil difference between the 6 creed and 6.5 creed.

OP
Oregonhuntrboi
A suppressed 7prc and you have a flinch from it? My 7PRC is only 6 lbs scoped and loaded and with just the factory brake it’s like a normal weight 7-08. How is a 6 Creed going to be much lighter recoil than that? I have zero interest in spotting shots inside 500 yards....never needed it for 50 years and it’s way over-rated. Much farther ranges, then it might be useful. If the dope is right and your hold is solid the animal is dead. Maybe a bit more range practice will cure that flinch and the lack of confidence. Lots of ways to cure a

I’ll attach the trigger cam onto my 6 creed the next time I go shoot. Was my first time shooting one after I bought it the other week and I was very surprised I could spot my shots at 100 yards on paper with the magnification turned up.

I got the Seekins ph2, 24 inch barrel. Shooting with a NX8 and Tbac Ultra 9 attached.

I also have a factory Sig Cross 6.5 creed, 18inch barrel, and Howa 1500 6.5 creed, 24 inch barrel, in an aluminum XLR chassis to compare to the 6 creed. To me, there is a noticeable recoil difference between the 6 creed and 6.5 creed.
That would be great to see the recoil through your trigger cam. Thank you!

199p

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 7prc and love it, but im currently building a 6prc

I went for the prc over the cm for more wind beating ability maybe get 200-250fps more and it will make a good difference in wind holds.

I have a 7prc and love it, but im currently building a 6prc

I went for the prc over the cm for more wind beating ability maybe get 200-250fps more and it will make a good difference in wind holds.

Not belittling your decision at all, because the 6 PRC is awesome, but here is a reference for people.

600 yards, 10 mph full value wind.
5000 DA, 112 Match Burner

6 CM at 2950 fps: 16.7 “ wind drift.
6 PRC at 3150 fps: 15.4”
Delta of 1.3”

1800 fps
6 CM: 975
6 PRC: 1100

OP
Oregonhuntrboi
Not belittling your decision at all, because the 6 PRC is awesome, but here is a reference for people.

600 yards, 10 mph full value wind.
5000 DA, 112 Match Burner

6 CM at 2950 fps: 16.7 “ wind drift.
6 PRC at 3150 fps: 15.4”
Delta of 1.3”

1800 fps
6 CM: 975
6 PRC: 1100
What ammo are you comparing and what barrel length is this data coming from?

What ammo are you comparing and what barrel length is this data coming from?
6 CM
Hand loaded Barnes Match Burner 112’s,
Alpha LRP brass, Fed 210 Primers, 42.8g H4350. 18” barrel. 2950 fps verified.

6 PRC
Estimate of velocity with the same bullet from 18” bbl, based on loads several members here on Rokslide have achieved.
3150 fps estimated.

You cannot buy 6 PRC factory ammo, so you have to compare hand loads for both.
With 6 CM, you also have the option for buying cost effective factory ammo for training, such as the Hornady Black 105 BTHP for around $1.30 per round, as opposed to my appx $1.90 per for hand loads.

Last edited: