7PRC vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Well if exact barrel length, throating and twist rate don’t matter, a Proof would work. Hopefully what you want would be a factory option from them. It wasn’t for me when I was first building my new gun, originally in 6.5. Then do a search on how many of us have switched from Carbon to Steel barrels and the reasons why. If you like the looks of Carbon, tell me this steel barrel doesn’t look badass 💁🏻‍♂️

Zero kills with the 6 CM yet. I switched after the last hunt of the season in ‘23.

View attachment 729995
That does look legit.

I know all the reasons why guys switch from carbon. The twist rates/barrel lengths are usually good enough for me. But I like thick barrels and the damascus-like look of the proof barrels. Are they more expensive? sure. Do they shoot better? no. Is this rational? also, no.

but now i might have to get a heavy palma barrel from PVA to add to the collection.

gtriple

WKR
Yeah.
Recoil is actually less. It's noticeable in spotting impacts with the 6 over the 6.5, despite what comparing numbers will indicate.

The Wind Number is actually better with something like the 112 Match Burner, 115 DTAC or 109 ELD-M., unless you are shooting hot 147's or similar, which then increases the recoil even more, reducing hit rates and lessening ability to spot impacts.

You don't really need better factory ammo choices when the 108 ELD-M's are awesome. Hand loading for the 6 CM really gets you into the increased performance. You can buy cheap Hornady Black 105 ammo for low $30's.

The 22 CM does all of this even a little bit better than the 6, if you are using say the 88 ELD-M. Even less recoil, better wind number and further effective range for expansion, due to the higher velocity and great B.C.
Thank you for that info.

My biggest hesitation in going to the 22CM is that I hunt plan to hunt Colorado and Wyoming in the next couple of years and both have caliber restrictions. The 6 would be allowed though, so I may consider that one.

AnTi X, Geissele Super 700 trigger, HNT 26 Arca/Folder.
20" Patriot Valley Arms 6 CM, 1/7 Light Palma. 51 oz. - H4350 w/ Barnes Match Burner 112's @ 2940 fps
18" PVA, 6 CM, 1/7 twist, .750 taperless contour. 39 oz. Brand new and unfired as of today.

Don't buy a Proof. Buy a Patriot Valley Arms prefit in whatever length you like, fast twist, threaded and in the .750 Taperless contour. You'll save money, have a barrel that is throated better for heavy 6 mm bullets, have a less finicky barrel most likely and be more durable.
Sweet. Thanks. What’s your total rifle weight? If you only had one barrel, would you go 18 or 20”?

Sweet. Thanks. What’s your total rifle weight? If you only had one barrel, would you go 18 or 20”?
With the lighter contour 18” barrel it weighs 7.5 lbs, topped with the RS 1.2.
The 18” is definitely the way to go for myself. Plenty of velocity if you hand load. If you want a long range gun and only shoot factory, I’d probably go 20”.

199p

FNG
I have both,
16" 6.5cm for 80% of my hunting factory 143eldx at 2432fps kills awesome to 300y so far

Have just build a 7prc for when the weather is showing more wind or i am likely to be shooting 500y plus 175eldx federal factory @ 2840

Building a 6prc currently looking to split the difference and buck the wind better then both and still stay short looking at 17" lots of the creeks and ridgeline in my hunting area are quite thick.
108eldm at 3100+ or so will be hard to beat on everything except barrel life but least they are still making them.

Hunting in NZ the wind is the biggest factor can blow 3 directions at the sametime