7PRC vs 6.5 Creedmoor

CJ31

FNG
After reading the 223 discussion and listening to the Experience project podcast with "Form" , about terminal ballistics seeming to be more about bullet selection than caliber, I am second guessing my preconceived ideas and my decision on a 7PRC for a lightweight backpack hunting rifle and wondering if it has any real world advantages over a 6.5 Creedmoor?

I do not reload so factory ammo is a must and I am currently looking at a Bergara MgLite as the rifle. Any insight would be appreciated as I am sure the information is buried somewhere in the site but I didn't see any direct comparisons (knowing they are apples to oranges) but basically am looking for something for big game up to 500 yards.

Thanks in advance for your time and insight

genther12

FNG
I personally like the 7 PRC. I recently attended a long range class through Barbour Creek. I highly recommend James' YouTube videos as well.

- Mike

BKM

FNG
It’s really a preference thing but there is no reason a 6.5cm won’t get it done at 500 and it will be much more pleasant to shoot. Plus ammo is cheap and plentiful.

I got a tikka 6.5cm this year, dropped it in a Bravo and plan on chopping it to 18” and adding a suppressor by the end of the year. 500 yards is further than I can comfortably shoot at a animal but the gun is more than capable. It will be on my next elk hunt in a couple years.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
The 108 ELDM from a 6CM is what I’d recommend for a general purpose backpacking rifle.

Tikka T3x, 20” 1:7 twist threaded for and equipped with a suppressor, RokStok, UM rings, Maven 1.2 2.5-15x44 with SHR-MIL reticle.

It’ll offer a tremendously effective success rate due to the bullet (terminal performance at >1800 fps and wind bracket based on the G1 BC of .531), delivery system (safe and functional rifle and trigger in all weather; simple rings that lock the scope to the receiver; scope that holds zero, returns to zero, dials precisely, passed drop testing) and low recoil (~10 ft lbs).

If you’re looking for a 500 yard big game rifle there’s no advantage to the 7 PRC. 140, 147 eld ms, and 140 Bergers will all have adequate wound channels in factory ammo.

jonpall

Lil-Rokslider
The 108 ELDM from a 6CM is what I’d recommend for a general purpose backpacking rifle.

Tikka T3x, 20” 1:7 twist threaded for and equipped with a suppressor, RokStok, UM rings, Maven 1.2 2.5-15x44 with SHR-MIL reticle.

It’ll offer a tremendously effective success rate due to the bullet (terminal performance at >1800 fps and wind bracket based on the G1 BC of .531), delivery system (safe and functional rifle and trigger in all weather; simple rings that lock the scope to the receiver; scope that holds zero, returns to zero, dials precisely, passed drop testing) and low recoil (~10 ft lbs).
Not 77 TMKs?

Hnthrdr

WKR
It’s really a preference thing but there is no reason a 6.5cm won’t get it done at 500 and it will be much more pleasant to shoot. Plus ammo is cheap and plentiful.

I got a tikka 6.5cm this year, dropped it in a Bravo and plan on chopping it to 18” and adding a suppressor by the end of the year. 500 yards is further than I can comfortably shoot at a animal but the gun is more than capable. It will be on my next elk hunt in a couple years.
Chopped mine to 16” since 140/147’s will take me past my self imposed limit if 500 yards while keep velocities above 1800. 6.5cm really is the easy button, next rifle I buy will be a 6mm cm though

I'm with PNWGATOR. I came from using a 6.5 CM for a decade on big game, and now that I have moved to a
6 CM, my only regret is that I did not do it sooner. My other regret is that I didn't just go all the way down to a 22 CM.

Rifle choice: If you are looking at the Bergara MG Lite, there are better choices. A Rem 700 based custom or Tikka action with a prefit barrel in the exact barrel length, twist rate and contour in a HNT 26 would make a better compact and light setup.

OP
C

CJ31

FNG
Thanks everyone. I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I should have mentioned I would be running it suppressed though not sure how much that cuts the recoil of the 7PRC and presume the 6.5 will be negligible with/without it from a recoil standpoint. Just wondering if the recoil penalty gains any forgiveness with calling the wind as I am just starting this long(er) range shooting adventure

gtriple

WKR
I'm with PNWGATOR. I came from using a 6.5 CM for a decade on big game, and now that I have moved to a
6 CM, my only regret is that I did not do it sooner. My other regret is that I didn't just go all the way down to a 22 CM.

Rifle choice: If you are looking at the Bergara MG Lite, there are better choices. A Rem 700 based custom or Tikka action with a prefit barrel in the exact barrel length, twist rate and contour in a HNT 26 would make a better compact and light setup.
Mind giving some more explanation on 6CM or 22CM over the 6.5CM?

I've made the comparison a lot of times myself and just don't see much of a difference between 6.5CM and 6CM.

With factory Hornady Precision Hunter, they have nearly the same recoil and max range (to 1800fps). The 6.5 drifts less in the wind, has much better factory ammo offerings if they ever lost your ammo, and has some very cheap ammo too. I don't reload - I buy loaded ammo from Unknown, so the price is the same for all 3.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved

I've made the comparison a lot of times myself and just don't see much of a difference between 6.5CM and 6CM.
They dont have the same recoil IMO. The 6 recoils less than the 6.5, and the 22 recoils less than the six.

And inside 700 yards, the wind drift is exactly the same

With factory Hornady Precision Hunter, they have nearly the same recoil and max range (to 1800fps). The 6.5 drifts less in the wind, has much better factory ammo offerings if they ever lost your ammo, and has some very cheap ammo too. I don't reload - I buy loaded ammo from Unknown, so the price is the same for all 3.
Yeah.
Recoil is actually less. It's noticeable in spotting impacts with the 6 over the 6.5, despite what comparing numbers will indicate.

The Wind Number is actually better with something like the 112 Match Burner, 115 DTAC or 109 ELD-M., unless you are shooting hot 147's or similar, which then increases the recoil even more, reducing hit rates and lessening ability to spot impacts.

You don't really need better factory ammo choices when the 108 ELD-M's are awesome. Hand loading for the 6 CM really gets you into the increased performance. You can buy cheap Hornady Black 105 ammo for low $30's.

The 22 CM does all of this even a little bit better than the 6, if you are using say the 88 ELD-M. Even less recoil, better wind number and further effective range for expansion, due to the higher velocity and great B.C.

Yeah.
Recoil is actually less. It's noticeable in spotting impacts with the 6 over the 6.5, despite what comparing numbers will indicate.

The Wind Number is actually better with something like the 112 Match Burner, 115 DTAC or 109 ELD-M., unless you are shooting hot 147's or similar, which then increases the recoil even more, reducing hit rates and lessening ability to spot impacts.

You don't really need better factory ammo choices when the 108 ELD-M's are awesome. Hand loading for the 6 CM really gets you into the increased performance. You can buy cheap Hornady Black 105 ammo for low $30's.

The 22 CM does all of this even a little bit better than the 6, if you are using say the 88 ELD-M. Even less recoil, better wind number and further effective range for expansion, due to the higher velocity and great B.C.
Can you share more about your 6CM builds? Looking at doing an MDT HNT26, Defiance AntiX, proof barrel build soon, I believe you run something similar. What barrel and length are you running? And what velocity are you getting from the 6CM?

Can you share more about your 6CM builds? Looking at doing an MDT HNT26, Defiance AntiX, proof barrel build soon, I believe you run something similar. What barrel and length are you running? And what velocity are you getting from the 6CM?
AnTi X, Geissele Super 700 trigger, HNT 26 Arca/Folder.
20" Patriot Valley Arms 6 CM, 1/7 Light Palma. 51 oz. - H4350 w/ Barnes Match Burner 112's @ 2940 fps
18" PVA, 6 CM, 1/7 twist, .750 taperless contour. 39 oz. Brand new and unfired as of today.

Don't buy a Proof. Buy a Patriot Valley Arms prefit in whatever length you like, fast twist, threaded and in the .750 Taperless contour. You'll save money, have a barrel that is throated better for heavy 6 mm bullets, have a less finicky barrel most likely and be more durable.

Don't buy a Proof.
Blasphemy.

How many animals are you up to on the 6cm? and what animals/ranges?

My 6.5 prc barrel is a few hundred rounds away from being toast. Thinking of going 6.5cm for the next one, but now you got me thinking about a 6 cm. (with a proof barrel, of course)

Blasphemy.

How many animals are you up to on the 6cm? and what animals/ranges?

My 6.5 prc barrel is a few hundred rounds away from being toast. Thinking of going 6.5cm for the next one, but now you got me thinking about a 6 cm. (with a proof barrel, of course)
Well if exact barrel length, throating and twist rate don’t matter, a Proof would work. Hopefully what you want would be a factory option from them. It wasn’t for me when I was first building my new gun, originally in 6.5. Then do a search on how many of us have switched from Carbon to Steel barrels and the reasons why. If you like the looks of Carbon, tell me this steel barrel doesn’t look badass 💁🏻‍♂️

Zero kills with the 6 CM yet. I switched after the last hunt of the season in ‘23.

IMG_3643.jpeg

Last edited: