7PRC Idaho cow

Lemhi

FNG
Had some success with the 7PRC I built this summer during my December cow hunt figured there was enough interest to warrant a post.

Tagged this large cow at 400 yards. My 7 is currently shooting factory hornady precision hunter ammo which leaves the muzzle of my 22” proof prefit at 2880fps.

Shot placement is a little far back due to the cow facing up a steep hill with her front legs back pretty far and since I was purely meat hunting I probably was overly conservative. Either way she walked about 15 steps and went down.

Bullet was recovered in the offside hide (I haven’t weighed it) but I did notice I split the ribs going in and wasted the rear 1/2 of the lungs. The core was very loose in the jacket and when I pulled the bullet out they separated.

Overall happy with the performance of this setup. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_2550.jpeg
    IMG_2550.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2554.jpeg
    IMG_2554.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 106

Zjgood

FNG
Thanks for posting, I started hunting with a 7prc this year and was interested to see how the bullets would hold up.

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
I had very similar results on a mule deer buck this year. 400 yards, quartering away. Bullet was also recovered on the offside hide and looked very much like this, but the core and jacket were still tight together. Very happy with this bullet so far!

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
My wife shot a cow with the same ammo at 460 yards. Nearly the same muzzle velocity.

Terminal performance was similar except the bullet exited.