230 gr eldx adequate for bear country?

Wolfy180

FNG
I just started shooting 230 gr eldx this season out of my 338 win mag and they shoot great! This year I was lucky enough to take a nice Muley with them. The shot was 200 yards sharply quartered away it entered through the ribs and was caught up in the far side shoulder. When I recovered the bullet hardly anything was left. Entry hole was also bigger than anything I’ve ever seen from my 338. The rest of the bullet was scattered throughout the animal’s vital cavity. The deer died instantly so no doubt it works. But the bullets performance has me worried now. I live in southern bc and run into grizzlies every year out there. My question is does this bullet have any chance of penetrating enough to stop an angry g bear or is packing these bullets downright irresponsible in bear country? I have the tiny piece I recovered sitting in the garage I’ll snap a pic for reference. Unfortunately it was pitch black by the time I recovered the deer so no pics of the entry wound but it was fist sized. Here’s the only pic I got of the buck before dark IMG_4294.jpeg

gerry35

WKR
Fellow BC hunter here so can relate to what you have to deal with concerning grizzlies. I think you'll do just fine with the 230 gr ELD-X. It's going to do a lot of damage on a bear and penetrate far enough if you need to defend yourself. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though. Congrats on the deer!

OP
Wolfy180

Wolfy180

FNG
Fellow BC hunter here so can relate to what you have to deal with concerning grizzlies. I think you'll do just fine with the 230 gr ELD-X. It's going to do a lot of damage on a bear and penetrate far enough if you need to defend yourself. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though. Congrats on the deer!
Thanks for the input! As you know grizzlies are everywhere here now and only getting worse so it’s always on the front of my mind. I probably should’ve added that I wouldn’t personally choose an eldx but 338 win mag ammo is non existent in Canada for the past 3 years now except for the eldx

gerry35

WKR
Yep they are everywhere and can be aggressive. There is a push to get the season back but we probably need to get rid of the NDP to do it.. My hunting partner bought a 338 too and that was all that could be found for ammo here too. It's not a bad choice to be honest. I carry a 35 Whelen as one of my guns and like the lighter to medium weight bullets. The really heavy bullets in the 338 or 35 don't expand well so they don't kill that great at longer ranges. If you don't handload yet you might wish to save up your brass and get into it. Then you will have a lot more options.

OP
Wolfy180

Wolfy180

FNG
Yep they are everywhere and can be aggressive. There is a push to get the season back but we probably need to get rid of the NDP to do it.. My hunting partner bought a 338 too and that was all that could be found for ammo here too. It's not a bad choice to be honest. I carry a 35 Whelen as one of my guns and like the lighter to medium weight bullets. The really heavy bullets in the 338 or 35 don't expand well so they don't kill that great at longer ranges. If you don't handload yet you might wish to save up your brass and get into it. Then you will have a lot more options.
I’ve got all my brass that I’ve ever shot outta my gun in a drawer at home as well as lots of 225 ttsx bullets, primers and powder all sitting at home as well. I just need to buy some reloading equipment and get in the game it’s really our only option in Canada now unfortunately. Might just buy a 300 win mag now because ammo is always available over the shelf. Sad because I love my 338

OP
Wolfy180

Wolfy180

FNG
I’ve got all my brass that I’ve ever shot outta my gun in a drawer at home as well as lots of 225 ttsx bullets, primers and powder all sitting at home as well. I just need to buy some reloading equipment and get in the game it’s really our only option in Canada now unfortunately. Might just buy a 300 win mag now because ammo is always available over the shelf. Sad because I love my 338
And fingers crossed on opening the season again! I missed a nice grizzly years ago on a leh tag and it haunts me to this day. 35 Whelen is a classic I’ve always wanted one

gerry35

WKR
Since you have brass you should be good to go. There are some good kits available from Redding and RCBS or maybe you can find an old timer who is selling off his equipment. If the ammo companies would stop making 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 ammo we would be good. You see piles of it not moving here and others that we need are always sold out.

Sucks on missing the grizzly, took me a bunch of times till I finally got one, for some reason it was hard for me to get one while my buddies shot multiple bears. It will come eventually, even the natives are pushing hard for the season since they know how hard bears are on moose and caribou calves.

gerry35

WKR
The 185 gr TTSX is supposed to be an awesome all around bullet in the 338. A different partner used the 200 gr E Tip. Lots of good choices though in the 338 for you to use.

OP
Wolfy180

Wolfy180

FNG
Since you have brass you should be good to go. There are some good kits available from Redding and RCBS or maybe you can find an old timer who is selling off his equipment. If the ammo companies would stop making 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 ammo we would be good. You see piles of it not moving here and others that we need are always sold out.

Sucks on missing the grizzly, took me a bunch of times till I finally got one, for some reason it was hard for me to get one while my buddies shot multiple bears. It will come eventually, even the natives are pushing hard for the season since they know how hard bears are on moose and caribou calves.
Might just be a rumour but I’ve heard there a bands of fn’s up north with a $1500 bounty out for a grizzly. Government might listen to them so let’s hope they might be our only saving grace

OP
Wolfy180

Wolfy180

FNG
I’ve got some 185 gr cx’s and they would sizzle out of the 338 never shot anything with them though also seen lots of 200gr sst's locally but I’m a little reluctant on them as well any experience with those?

gerry35

WKR
I’ve got some 185 gr cx’s and they would sizzle out of the 338 never shot anything with them though also seen lots of 200gr sst's locally but I’m a little reluctant on them as well any experience with those?
No experience with either of those I would bet that CX would work great though. Not sure about the SST but maybe someone will see this who has experience with them.