7mm Rem Mag elk rifle

One of the newer Tikka options with a threaded muzzle would fit the bill.

So 2 clients show up to camp
Fud 1 has a 300 rum shooting 180 core lokts, he is minute of paper plate at 100 yards but beyond that
He has 2 boxes of factory ammo with 9 rounds missing. He clearly doesn't like shooting this rifle
His wife, being a dainty wee lass brought a 6.5 cr you know cuz she's a lady. She can drop that weak little 143 grain pill on demand wherever you tell her out to 400 yards. You going to make her shoot the fud cannon or make the fud shoot the cm?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
This is a very biased argument
You're basing this example on the assumption that people with magnums cant shoot like those who go with light recoiling rounds.
And that little ladies can't handle a 300 mag..
I put 200 or more rounds a year through my magnums, and recoil is very much controlled with a brake or suppressor.
I have a video of my 130 lb wife smacking a 12" plate at 1/2 mile shooting 220s through my 7 lb suppressed 30 nos

amassi

WKR
This is a very biased argument
You're basing this example on the assumption that people with magnums cant shoot like those who go with light recoiling rounds.
And that little ladies can't handle a 300 mag..
I put 200 or more rounds a year through my magnums, and recoil is very much controlled with a brake or suppressor.
I have a video of my 130 lb wife smacking a 12" plate at 1/2 mile shooting 220s through my 7 lb suppressed 30 nos
No, I was making a joke at the guide saying they don't cm due to wounding. Nothing more. I thought I laid the sarcasm on pretty thick. I'll preface further sarcastic posts with ***sarcasm***

I'm shopping for a new rifle to hunt elk that my skills can "grow" into. My wife has become interested in hunting elk/deer with me and so I've got the nod to add to our collection. In a previous post I asked for input on Christensen vs Tikka but in hindsight I should've asked for input on the chambering as well. I have decided to purchase a Tikka T3X. I currently own a 6.5 cm and a .308. I don't reload and probably won't anytime soon. I'm leaning towards a 7mm Rem Mag from what I have read. Seems like it has plenty of energy for when my skills allow me to take longer shots and has decent availability of ammo. Barrel life sounds like a concern but I think I'm comfortable with needing to make that investment when the time comes. In my Tikka vs Christensen post there were some comments regarding barrel twist rate (Chistensen is 1:9 and Tikka 1:9.5), how seriously should I be considering this and how will it affect the performance of the rifle for my purpose (I realize this may be obvious to some but I'm still peering over the edge of the rabbit hole at this point)? Is there another cartridge I should be considering? Thank you for your help
If you want to do longer range with a 7 rm I would also suggest going with a true long action and faster twist barrel.
Check out the seekins PH2, it really is about the best deal out there with its match grade 8.5 twist barrel and custom components.
You'd be able to shoot 168 Bergers or 175 ELDX

amassi

WKR
If you want to do longer range with a 7 rm I would also suggest going with a true long action and faster twist barrel.
Check out the seekins PH2, it really is about the best deal out there with its match grade 8.5 twist barrel and custom components.
You'd be able to shoot 168 Bergers or 175 ELDX
Did you read the op? Dude is shooting factory ammo at elk out to 400 yards. Wants to increase his range(confidence) at killing slightly longer distances.
You can shoot both of those(168 berger and 175 eld) with tikkas 1:9.5 at factory length with factory ammo. The seeking twist won't come in handy until he gets over 180grains, which would require reloading or buying custom ammo
Which won't be of any benefit until we'll past his intended range

CHansen

FNG
Are you set on 7mag? Hard to go wrong with the 300win, lots of factory and custom options for ammo. And is a capable long range cartridge. Not to say the 7mag isn’t either.

CB1

FNG
I'm shopping for a new rifle to hunt elk that my skills can "grow" into. My wife has become interested in hunting elk/deer with me and so I've got the nod to add to our collection. In a previous post I asked for input on Christensen vs Tikka but in hindsight I should've asked for input on the chambering as well. I have decided to purchase a Tikka T3X. I currently own a 6.5 cm and a .308. I don't reload and probably won't anytime soon. I'm leaning towards a 7mm Rem Mag from what I have read. Seems like it has plenty of energy for when my skills allow me to take longer shots and has decent availability of ammo. Barrel life sounds like a concern but I think I'm comfortable with needing to make that investment when the time comes. In my Tikka vs Christensen post there were some comments regarding barrel twist rate (Chistensen is 1:9 and Tikka 1:9.5), how seriously should I be considering this and how will it affect the performance of the rifle for my purpose (I realize this may be obvious to some but I'm still peering over the edge of the rabbit hole at this point)? Is there another cartridge I should be considering? Thank you for your help
I have the tikka t3x lite in 7 mag. Bought it for a do it all rifle. I think either option would work well for you. I really like the tikka setup and shoots well for me. If you shoot a non lead then you can shoot lighter bullets and the twist may not be a factor. Can always add a limbsaver recoil of and break if needed. I don’t find it too bad to shoot but it is noticeable but may see how a new recoil pad changes things.

2five7

WKR
Did you read the op? Dude is shooting factory ammo at elk out to 400 yards. Wants to increase his range(confidence) at killing slightly longer distances.
You can shoot both of those(168 berger and 175 eld) with tikkas 1:9.5 at factory length with factory ammo. The seeking twist won't come in handy until he gets over 180grains, which would require reloading or buying custom ammo

175 ELD-X will not be fully stable in a 9.5 twist. 8.5 MINIMUM recommended by Hornady.

Not sure who pissed in your cheerios this morning but after reading the OPs 2nd post it really looks like he may want to spread his wings and fly at some point 😉

Quote:

"My limited understanding is that the rifles I currently own limit the shots available to me on elk due to energy carried, for example hitting a shoulder at 500 yards. I consistently shoot steel at 600 yards and am working towards extending that over the next 10 months. I have no intention at this point of shooting at an animal beyond 400 yards but my goal is to reach farther by next season."

amassi

WKR
Not sure who pissed in your cheerios this morning but after reading the OPs 2nd post it really looks like he may want to spread his wings and fly at some point

Quote:

"My limited understanding is that the rifles I currently own limit the shots available to me on elk due to energy carried, for example hitting a shoulder at 500 yards. I consistently shoot steel at 600 yards and am working towards extending that over the next 10 months. I have no intention at this point of shooting at an animal beyond 400 yards but my goal is to reach farther by next season."
Cool
How far out will a slow twist tikka lose lethality with factory ammo and require a fast twist and handloads or special order ammo like unknown munitions or the like where a 3.7" mag box will be beneficial

OP, what would be the maximum distance you could potentially shoot an animal where are you hunt?

As has been shared, don't go down the bullet energy rabbit hole. There needs to be enough velocity to expand reliably at the distance you shoot the animal. Heavier bullets carry more momentum at the same velocity and will provide more reliable penetration all else equal. Energy does not cause penetration, unfortunately.

If there is any question of getting the job done with a 140-160-ish gr. aerodynamic bullet out of a 7mm Rem Mg with factory ammo, a person might want to think if it needs done in the first place. Lol.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
my Only rifle has been a 7mm since I started elk hunting in1980 and fathers group of 5-7 all shoot 7mms…I acquired my tikka in 2003 and have shot a couple bulls with it….if you go down the 7mm route there are plenty of factory ammo options for you to become proficient out to 600-700 yds or more if desired but that is not my game past that….i shoot a 154 gr sst which has done well at 7 yds and close to 600 yds…good times when the magnum barks🤙

Do you see what you started here? 😆🤣😆
Yeah there's a lot of truth in that!

What amassi said in post #17 pretty much says it all. Wish I didn't feel the need to always chime in. Sometimes it's okay to let it go at the best answer.

OP
W

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Dang I really stirred the pot. I appreciate all of the wisdom shared. Allow me to be more clear to make sure I get the best information

I have no plan to begin reloading. If I do I'll have an excuse to get a new rifle

My goal is to be comfortable shooting at an animal up to 600 yards by this coming season under calm conditions. My ego would like to be able to extend that (800 yards seems way out there) but that seems like a multi year goal with a lot to learn. I will certainly be extending that distance at the range but at this early point in my hunting experience I have been able to generally get at least that close. I'll be hunting in the Oregon Cascades, central Idaho and I have a hunt planned for Montana this coming year where I was told that if I'm comfortable shooting out to 600 yards it would make me much more likely to harvest an animal.

I also considered a 300wm but the added recoil made me lean towards the 7mm.

For what its worth I'm looking at the Christensen Mesa again as they're only a difference of a $100 for the model Tikka I like and I'd prefer something built in the US. Also seems like much of the Christensen quality issues surround their carbon barrels and I've had good luck with the one I own. Hopefully this doesn't derail the conversation into a CA vs Tikka argument

Thanks again for the willingness to share your knowledge.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
I'd check out the Bergara line of rifles too if your willing to spend the $$ on a CA Mesa . The Premier Highlander or the B-14 in the Wilderness Hunter or Wilderness Ridge may interest you. Then there's the new Weatherby Mark V Hunter and the Weatherby Vanguard line of rifles that offer 7 mag. I haven't got to look at the new Mark V Hunter, but Weatherby always likes to add freebore to their chambers which would facilitate seating a bullet out a little longer than standard spec if the magazine allows. That may allow you to 'grow' into some long range bullet offerings.

Weatherby always likes to add freebore to their chambers which would facilitate seating a bullet out a little longer than standard spec if the magazine allows. That may allow you to 'grow' into some long range bullet offerings.
Damnit man I thought we covered this already!
Anything longer than 3.35" or faster than a 9.5 twist is useless for LR, didnt you read post #17 🥴😉

My goal is to be comfortable shooting at an animal up to 600 yards by this coming season under calm conditions.
ROOKIE ADVICE ALERT

You can absolutely achieve this goal. I'm a 1st year rifle shooter who dropped an elk at 650 yards using someone else's 7mm rem mag that I have never shot - largely because I didn't trust my 30-06 to reach that far without compensating for a lot of bullet drop. The 7mm can get it done for long range.

It was a calm day (which helped tremendously), and honestly, the technique for shooting that elk at 650 yards was the EXACT same technique that I drilled over and over shooting steel targets at 100, 200, 300, 400 yards or even dry firing. Once I had the scope dialed up and a decently solid position, It was all in the breathing and the squeeze - and tricking my mind into thinking that I was shooting a steel target like I have hundreds of times before.

Also, don't underestimate the utility of dry firing. Again - the breathing and trigger squeeze technique is the exact same for dry firing as it is for shooting at 600 yards. Obviously no recoil involved, but everything up to the trigger break should be identical, and it's practice that doesn't cost you a penny. This is a great way to find a rotation of shooting positions that you are comfortable with, and also practice the setup for those positions. This includes improvising - prone with bipod, prone with no support, prone off pack. Sitting off of upright pack, sitting off of knees, etc. Also - don't underestimate the power of a sling as a shooting aid. You would be surprised how a full or partial wrap of the sling in certain positions gives you a major increase in stability.

My last piece of rookie advice - unless you are narrowing down a specific technique or are required because of range rules - get off the bench. You'll likely never shoot an animal from a bench.

amassi

WKR
Damnit man I thought we covered this already!
Anything longer than 3.35" or faster than a 9.5 twist is useless for LR, didnt you read post #17
What range does it make a difference?