7mm Rem Mag elk rifle

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I'm shopping for a new rifle to hunt elk that my skills can "grow" into. My wife has become interested in hunting elk/deer with me and so I've got the nod to add to our collection. In a previous post I asked for input on Christensen vs Tikka but in hindsight I should've asked for input on the chambering as well. I have decided to purchase a Tikka T3X. I currently own a 6.5 cm and a .308. I don't reload and probably won't anytime soon. I'm leaning towards a 7mm Rem Mag from what I have read. Seems like it has plenty of energy for when my skills allow me to take longer shots and has decent availability of ammo. Barrel life sounds like a concern but I think I'm comfortable with needing to make that investment when the time comes. In my Tikka vs Christensen post there were some comments regarding barrel twist rate (Chistensen is 1:9 and Tikka 1:9.5), how seriously should I be considering this and how will it affect the performance of the rifle for my purpose (I realize this may be obvious to some but I'm still peering over the edge of the rabbit hole at this point)? Is there another cartridge I should be considering? Thank you for your help

h2so4

WKR
How long range? Why won't the 6.5 or .308 work? I'm all about adding rifles, but figure out what the current ones don't do. Why not out grow your current rifles and then find something that suits you perfectly versus buying a rifle that you have to accommodate while you grow into IT.

OP
W

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
My limited understanding is that the rifles I currently own limit the shots available to me on elk due to energy carried, for example hitting a shoulder at 500 yards. I consistently shoot steel at 600 yards and am working towards extending that over the next 10 months. I have no intention at this point of shooting at an animal beyond 400 yards but my goal is to reach farther by next season. I'm well aware of the skills needed and concerns around injuring an animal, I'm a bow hunter first and feel that I have sound shot judgement. Perhaps I shouldn't be questioning the effective range of the rifles I currently own?

amassi

WKR
Don't worry about energy worry about bullet design and the velocity required for that bullet to upset an elks vitals. If you compare the eld-x out of both the cm and 7 mag you need to get quite a ways out there before the 7 mag outshines the cm. Same goes for bergers et el.
If you get the t3x factor in getting the barrel threaded and muzzle break Installed. 6pound magnums aren't that fun to practice with

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
Personally I don't like that Tikka for long action magnum chamberings, the slower barrel twist and short magazine length will limit your ability to shoot long, heavy, high BC bullets. The Christensen is the better option in this scenario.

amassi

WKR
Personally I don't like that Tikka for long action magnum chamberings, the slower barrel twist and short magazine length will limit your ability to shoot long, heavy, high BC bullets. The Christensen is the better option in this scenario.
But you can shoot every factory available option which is plenty for his intended use of increasing his range past 400 yards

2five7

WKR
But you can shoot every factory available option which is plenty for his intended use of increasing his range past 400 yards

That still limits his options, which I would not recommend. Sounds like he is wanting a rifle he can grow into, which will possibly include getting in to reloading.

Vandy321

WKR
Dude doesn't reload...that said the Tikka will fit
any factory long action offerings and most custom loaded (unknown munitions) 7RM as well.

And for those saying energy doesn't matter, come on now, are you really trying to push a 6.5cm over a 7RM for an elk rifle?

Energy is king.

amassi

WKR
That still limits his options, which I would not recommend. Sounds like he is wanting a rifle he can grow into, which will possibly include getting in to reloading.
How is it limiting? I see quite a few factory options that will get to 1k. Not everyone needs to launch 3.7" 195 bergers. Those short saami length 168s are quite capable as well as a dozen other factory loads.

Overdrive

WKR
7mm are great calibers and very versatile for many game species. IMO it has many advantages over a 6.5 cr, I'm not a fan of a CR for Elk in fact both the outfitters I guide for and some others I know have now banded 6.5 cr on their hunts due to, to many wounded elk. At least with a 7mm you can go heavy bullets 168-180 grain. 7mm bullets tend to be long in length so I would go with a gun with the highest twist rate I could get to stabilize the bullet.
I have a 6.5-300 wthby and highly doubt I'll use if for Elk either, I built it for deer, sheep, antelope and bear just because it's lighter wieght rifle than my 7 rem mag or 300 wthby.

Vandy321

WKR
The Tikka bbl in 7RM can stabilize the 168gr Bergers, there isn't a factory option that it won't.

amassi

WKR
7mm are great calibers and very versatile for many game species. IMO it has many advantages over a 6.5 cr, I'm not a fan of a CR for Elk in fact both the outfitters I guide for and some others I know have now banded 6.5 cr on their hunts due to, to many wounded elk. At least with a 7mm you can go heavy bullets 168-180 grain. 7mm bullets tend to be long in length so I would go with a gun with the highest twist rate I could get to stabilize the bullet.
I have a 6.5-300 wthby and highly doubt I'll use if for Elk either, I built it for deer, sheep, antelope and bear just because it's lighter wieght rifle than my 7 rem mag or 300 wthby.
So 2 clients show up to camp
Fud 1 has a 300 rum shooting 180 core lokts, he is minute of paper plate at 100 yards but beyond that
He has 2 boxes of factory ammo with 9 rounds missing. He clearly doesn't like shooting this rifle
His wife, being a dainty wee lass brought a 6.5 cr you know cuz she's a lady. She can drop that weak little 143 grain pill on demand wherever you tell her out to 400 yards. You going to make her shoot the fud cannon or make the fud shoot the cm?

2five7

WKR
Dude doesn't reload...that said the Tikka will fit
any factory long action offerings and most custom loaded (unknown munitions) 7RM as well.

And for those saying energy doesn't matter, come on now, are you really trying to push a 6.5cm over a 7RM for an elk rifle?

Energy is king.
No, I'm recommending a rifle with a faster twist, and a longer max box if he wants a 7mm Rem Mag.

2five7

WKR
How is it limiting? I see quite a few factory options that will get to 1k. Not everyone needs to launch 3.7" 195 bergers. Those short saami length 168s are quite capable as well as a dozen other factory loads.

He clearly said we wants to grow into it, to me, that includes moving beyond factory ammo. Also, finding factory ammo is next to impossible right now, when he runs into that brick wall, reloading eventually becomes a good option. Yes, components are expensive right now, but you can at least find everything you need to get going.

Vandy321

WKR
He clearly said we wants to grow into it, to me, that includes moving beyond factory ammo. Also, finding factory ammo is next to impossible right now, when he runs into that brick wall, reloading eventually becomes a good option. Yes, components are expensive right now, but you can at least find everything you need to get going.
He literally said he doesn't reload and has no plans too

OP
W

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
What does the longer mag box accomplish for me?

Would the faster twist rate benefit factory ammo as well or only non factory loads?

Is there another cartridge I should be looking at?

amassi

WKR
What does the longer mag box accomplish for me?

Would the faster twist rate benefit factory ammo as well or only non factory loads?

Is there another cartridge I should be looking at?
Nothing
No
No
If you wanted a 1 and done north American cartridge it's tough to beat the old 7 rem mag.

Last edited:

Overdrive

WKR
So 2 clients show up to camp
Fud 1 has a 300 rum shooting 180 core lokts, he is minute of paper plate at 100 yards but beyond that
He has 2 boxes of factory ammo with 9 rounds missing. He clearly doesn't like shooting this rifle
His wife, being a dainty wee lass brought a 6.5 cr you know cuz she's a lady. She can drop that weak little 143 grain pill on demand wherever you tell her out to 400 yards. You going to make her shoot the fud cannon or make the fud shoot the cm?

In case you missed it I work for the Outfitter as a guide I don't set the rules, they are up front with their clients so they have time to prepare. All the women we've had in camp even before this change have been shooting 7rem mags or 300 win mags anyways, seems they didn't jump on the bandwagon.

h2so4

WKR
My limited understanding is that the rifles I currently own limit the shots available to me on elk due to energy carried, for example hitting a shoulder at 500 yards. I consistently shoot steel at 600 yards and am working towards extending that over the next 10 months. I have no intention at this point of shooting at an animal beyond 400 yards but my goal is to reach farther by next season. I'm well aware of the skills needed and concerns around injuring an animal, I'm a bow hunter first and feel that I have sound shot judgement. Perhaps I shouldn't be questioning the effective range of the rifles I currently own?
Sounds like you have a better start than you initially led on!
What optic are you running / plan to run?

OP
W

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
My plan is to mount a leupold vx5 3-15x44. I have that scope on my .308 and think it would be best to run similar systems on both so I can be on autopilot when needed