7mm PRC RRB discussion

This is my first dealing with Preferred, and it has been great so far.
I have read on here a couple posts about a few barrels and issues, and before I ordered I asked Marshal Sip directly how many barrels have come back. The answer was 2, and they immediately made it right and provided a new barrel. Given the thousands of barrels these guys are producing, 2 is not a significant number to me.
As far as the rumor mill and or stories that seem to grow on the internet, you have been around long enough on here to know how that can be.
I pressed further about this issue, and was made aware that Preferred Barrel sells blanks to all types of customers-individuals that want to thread and chamber their own, and gunsmiths-good and bad. If a person uses a poor gunsmith, or makes a mistake on their own, it would be easy to blame the blank. In this situation, they have had several barrels come back after being butchered by a smith. I was told they won’t name names and still helped make it right.
As far as the change I referenced in my initial posting, it was how they began making all their own blanks in house. This was because consistency was not there, even from the same sources. They now control every variable in the process and it has exploded their business. They are turning out way more barrels than I had thought, and to and for big names in the industry.
If you or anyone has any questions or concerns, I encourage you to call them. I was inundated with so much technical info that it went well past my end user/shooter brain.
These guys are machinist at heart, and don’t have any biased on caliber, action or manufacturer. I like that. However, I reserve final judgement on accuracy.

Seems everyone lets a turd get through every once in a while and some barrels just don't shoot so I'm not sure I would trust someone who said they'd never had a bad barrel come back if they'd done a bunch of them. That said, unless multiple people are lying on one 'Hide thread, they've had more than 2 come back for legitimate reasons. I saw that @762 ULTRAMAGA had sent at least one back to them.

Maybe there is some different context to his only 2 comment? I wouldn't be surprised if more than 1 in 100 barrels are duds even from the most esteemed blank makers and gunsmiths.

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Seems everyone lets a turd get through every once in a while and some barrels just don't shoot so I'm not sure I would trust someone who said they'd never had a bad barrel come back if they'd done a bunch of them. That said, unless multiple people are lying on one 'Hide thread, they've had more than 2 come back for legitimate reasons. I saw that @762 ULTRAMAGA had sent at least one back to them.

Maybe there is some different context to his only 2 comment? I wouldn't be surprised if more than 1 in 100 barrels are duds even from the most esteemed blank makers and gunsmiths.
Can’t say I disagree with some barrels don’t shoot, but I can’t comment on your assumptions. I’d recommend calling them and asking directly.

Harvey_NW

WKR
This is my first dealing with Preferred, and it has been great so far.
This aligns with my experience. They responded quickly to my questions, and delivered exactly what I wanted within their estimated timeline. I sent my barreled action in for them to time straight flutes, install, and check headspace. Shot a quick OCW and all groups were sub 1" with no notable POI shift. Rifle just shoots.

+1 for Preferred, will be a returning customer.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Here is a picture someone posted in one of the 7prc groups on FB of their Preferred barrel they just received

I know it is only cosmetic but the crooked etching would drive me crazy if that was my barrel.
I'm guessing that was requested.

264 MHC

FNG
My Preferred Barrel is stamped that way as well, and in 2 places around the diameter of the shank. Mine is a savage style prefit on my Shilen DGR Action with a barrel nut so it made sense for that application, because they would have no way of knowing where it would end up in relation to the stock. I imagine that is just their standard way of doing it.

trolson90

FNG
I'm interested to see how your build goes. I've started one on a Tikka action and will also be using Preferred. I head down there this weekend to check out the shop and start the order. They've been very accommodating of all my phone calls and I saw enough positive reviews online that I decided to go with them. Though I have a few proof barrels and can't say I'm not nervous to be using a different option. My proof barrels are great so I'm hoping Preferred doesn't let me down.

bmeudy

FNG
This aligns with my experience. They responded quickly to my questions, and delivered exactly what I wanted within their estimated timeline. I sent my barreled action in for them to time straight flutes, install, and check headspace. Shot a quick OCW and all groups were sub 1" with no notable POI shift. Rifle just shoots.

+1 for Preferred, will be a returning customer.
I’ve had great experiences with Preferred.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
My Proof pre-fit chambering ID is covered by the stock, Proof states in their marketing that the barrel may not index with the receiver in such a way as to make the ID visible. I will eventually have the 308 W designation inscribed on the barrel but it really doesn't matter to me. My second Proof barrel, just installed, indexed perfectly. I do like Preferred's way of doing, there's a good chance the ID will index where it can be seen.

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I've updated the build thread here:

I received the barreled action back, and really dig the nickel plated carbon fiber wrap Preferred Barrels did.

trolson90

FNG
I've updated the build thread here:

I received the barreled action back, and really dig the nickel plated carbon fiber wrap Preferred Barrels did.
Looks really good! Is this the full nickel plated barrel or their 50/50 option? I went with the 50/50, just trying to get an idea how it might look when it finally shows up.