7mm prc, how short is too short?

donrleonard

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot 3 deer at 981 and 997 and 860, and one bear at 990. Coyotes not so much never can get them to stop running and screwing around. 1k is prob my max limit on living animals and conditions need to be right. I have passed on a bull elk and a bear that were at 1100, I felt it was too far and the envelope of a quick humane kill was too narrow.
That’s really remarkable, Mattman. You should be proud of your marksmanship. I’m not half the shooter as most of these guys who bombed the Backfire challenge.

For most of us mortals, 600 is something to aspire to. For that, a 16inch PRC sounds like the perfect do all rifle.

Chase723

FNG
If I didn’t only shoot suppressed, I’d run longer barrels too…but I don’t, so I don’t. Personally, it’s just a lot more enjoyable to shoot with a suppressor, animals react completely differently to them than a braked or unbraked rifle, I don’t worry about ear when out in the field, and from a handling perspective the package is hard to beat. With the can on, the overall barrel length is 24”, and even that though is pushing the overall length limit for me.

Mattman215

Lil-Rokslider
If I didn’t only shoot suppressed, I’d run longer barrels too…but I don’t, so I don’t. Personally, it’s just a lot more enjoyable to shoot with a suppressor, animals react completely differently to them than a braked or unbraked rifle, I don’t worry about ear when out in the field, and from a handling perspective the package is hard to beat. With the can on, the overall barrel length is 24”, and even that though is pushing the overall length limit for me.
I agree, I only shoot suppressed. If it’s not suppressed I prefer not to even shoot it at this point. The guns do get long so I understand the barrel length issue.