7mm PRC Build

Harvey_NW

WKR
That was my immediate thought along with "dude better make sure he's actually getting a 7 PRC and not some wildcat".
I'm honestly thinking his Smith isn't on the same page and isn't aware of the actual SAAMI 7 PRC yet or something. I'm not the most experienced but even I know that's not even feasible to attempt fireforming, and I'm curious how he's got the correct dies already coming. I've seen them added to pages, but nothing in stock. Bold move, lets see how this plays out.

Ucsdryder

WKR
like I inferred at the beginning. Id slow way down on the 7PRC. It’s coming, but it’s not here yet.

OP
mfllood3800
Yes
And if anyone is wrong is me.
He knows what he's doing.

We discussed the 7mm PRC the day it launched and he took several orders that same day.

He said he ordered his reamers for it and was good to go.
I asked about components.
He mentioned fire firming some of his brass and I obviously missed some of his info.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
I'm honestly thinking his Smith isn't on the same page and isn't aware of the actual SAAMI 7 PRC yet or something. I'm not the most experienced but even I know that's not even feasible to attempt fireforming, and I'm curious how he's got the correct dies already coming. I've seen them added to pages, but nothing in stock. Bold move, lets see how this plays out.
It appears Precision reloading has a die set for this

OP
mfllood3800
like I inferred at the beginning. Id slow way down on the 7PRC. It’s coming, but it’s not here yet.
Yes you are right. I talked to the Smith and he said the right brass could be fire formed, but he doesn't have it, I assumed he did.
I have all the parts I need other than the cases.
That is assuming the dies I ordered from Precision reloading are what they claim they are.

Again as stated originally, I am not a builder, just gonna assemble parts. Clearly I am excited. I hope no one looks upon the Smith in negative light as I was the one in the dark on ignorance and excitement.

I am glad everyone chimed in who did. Thank you guys. I appreciate it.
Now Come on Hornaday (and Lapua) lol

B23

WKR
I mean no disrespect but I think you need to get absolute confirmation with your gunsmith, before, he ever sticks a reamer in your barrel because one of you seems a little confused.

The new, actual, 7 PRC IS NOT the same as a necked up 7-6.5PRC. The 6.5 PRC case is substantially shorter and no amount of fireforming will, safely, stretch a 6.5PRC case to make 7 PRC brass.

Now, if your smith is talking about building you a 7-6.5PRC well that is an entirely different cartridge then a actual 7 PRC. The 7-6.5PRC is just a necked up 6.5 PRC case to 7mm.

You really need to have a discussion with your gunsmith before you proceed with anything and find out if he's talking about building you a actual 7 PRC or a 7-6.5PRC because they are far from the same and the brass is not interchangeable.

He's a pic of how much different the length of a 6.5 PRC is to the new 7 PRC.

OP
mfllood3800
I mean no disrespect but I think you need to get absolute confirmation with your gunsmith, before, he ever sticks a reamer in your barrel because one of you seems a little confused.

The new, actual, 7 PRC IS NOT the same as a necked up 7-6.5PRC. The 6.5 PRC case is substantially shorter and no amount of fireforming will, safely, stretch a 6.5PRC case to make 7 PRC brass.

Now, if your smith is talking about building you a 7-6.5PRC well that is an entirely different cartridge then a actual 7 PRC. The 7-6.5PRC is just a necked up 6.5 PRC case to 7mm.

You really need to have a discussion with your gunsmith before you proceed with anything and find out if he's talking about building you a actual 7 PRC or a 7-6.5PRC because they are far from the same and the brass is not interchangeable.

He's a pic of how much different the length of a 6.5 PRC is to the new 7 PRC.
As I stated It is a 7mm PRC. Please disregard the 6.5 PRC brass garbage I wrote, that was ME being confused. The rifle is clearly a 7mm PRC.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Obviously there's a bunch of people on here trying to throw shade on an established builder. Boring rifles does excellent work, I know several people with his rifles. Before y'all go running your mouth about the smith, you may want to do a little research on his background. It's been established, and obviously glossed over by many in this thread, that the OP was the one who was confusing things.

B23

WKR
As I stated It is a 7mm PRC. Please disregard the 6.5 PRC brass garbage I wrote, that was ME being confused. The rifle is clearly a 7mm PRC.
That's great but how and what is your gunsmith using to make 7 PRC brass for you?

If he's making it from 300 PRC brass then that makes sense but if he's using anything else then that's a concern. At the least, I'd talk to him so you 100% know!

B23

WKR
Obviously there's a bunch of people on here trying to throw shade on an established builder. Boring rifles does excellent work, I know several people with his rifles. Before y'all go running your mouth about the smith, you may want to do a little research on his background. It's been established, and obviously glossed over by many in this thread, that the OP was the one who was confusing things.
I don't think anyone was throwing shade on anyone, but, there was obviously some confusion going on with what the OP was talking about and people were trying to help clear up that confusion and make suggestions to help the OP clear things up or better understand. That's kind of the whole purpose of forums like this.

OP
mfllood3800
That's great but how and what is your gunsmith using to make 7 PRC brass for you?

If he's making it from 300 PRC brass then that makes sense but if he's using anything else then that's a concern. At the least, I'd talk to him so you 100% know!
As stated - he is NOT making the brass. I will wait like all of you who will acquire this rifle for brass to come out.

Reactions: B23
OP
mfllood3800
I don't think anyone was throwing shade on anyone, but, there was obviously some confusion going on with what the OP was talking about and people were trying to help clear up that confusion and make suggestions to help the OP clear things up or better understand. That's kind of the whole purpose of forums like this.
I owned the confusion and went back thru the earlier posts, and edited them to avoid new readers from suffering thru the same OH MY GOSH MOMENTS. It came about, by us talking about the build and he didnt have the reamers but he would call his supplier the next day, and I said I saw a guy who used some variant of 6.5 prc brass to fire form. He said really, lets llok into that. I just read that as a let's do it, where he was simply saying, lets look into that more. I remembered watching a vid where FClass John was calling the 7-6.5PRC his 7PRC and thats where I got confused. I also believe FClass John made another vid later on clearing that up and quit calling it the that with the new release of the 7PRC.
Any way, again thx to all who chimed in.

And yep I am still excited and am glad I will have the rifle before I have the brass. Cause when the brass does finally come out, many will get it, and then struggle to find a rifle. While I am in load development...... lol.

Reactions: B23
OP
mfllood3800
Karston builds a great Rifle. I have one of his 6.5PRC. He spun up a barrelled action for me on a defiant AntiX. It is really great shooter and super super tight groups. Took a deer on the General tag this year with it. He always has 30-50 rifles in progress with a dozen or so going out every time I go there.
I thought I made it clear it was ME who got confused with the 7-6.5 prc video I saw and it had nothing to do with him. I have gone back and corrected the early posts so if this happens again, it's just guys wanting to soap box and chest beat.

Harvey_NW

WKR

As @sneaky mentioned, the “piling on” is unnecessary, and misleading. OP cleared it up, several times.

Great components OP, look forward to hearing how it shoots 👍

No one is throwing shade or piling anything on. All of the discrepancies were brought up in context that was posted before being edited, and everyone was pointing out that something was misunderstood in an attempt to save him frustration. There is nothing unnecessary or misleading about warning someone fireforming 6.5 PRC brass to 7 PRC is not safe or feasible, regardless of how established whoever is that potentially told him so.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Glad you got it all figured out, hope the build goes well and looking forward to feedback. I'll probably be following suit once components are available.

OP
mfllood3800
As @sneaky mentioned, the “piling on” is unnecessary, and misleading. OP cleared it up, several times.

Great components OP, look forward to hearing how it shoots 👍
Thank you sir. It don't matter to me about the guys who feel the need to chest pound, they are on every social media site there is. Some of these guys are good guys. I could care less about the ones who are not. I can own my mistakes.

With that all behind, hopefully, back to the excitement...................
I picked up the XLR Chassis.
I'll get pics up in a bit.

NF Scope Rings also arrived.
Smith told me the barrels arrive tomorrow and the reamers and gauges are already there, I got to touch them.
He also said a lot of the Efile silencers from my group are being released and showing up.

Could be a good Christmas.