7mm PRC Build

OP
mfllood3800
No one is throwing shade or piling anything on. All of the discrepancies were brought up in context that was posted before being edited, and everyone was pointing out that something was misunderstood in an attempt to save him frustration. There is nothing unnecessary or misleading about warning someone fireforming 6.5 PRC brass to 7 PRC is not safe or feasible, regardless of how established whoever is that potentially told him so.
Actually I edited the early posts and still had guys adding content based on what others mentioned prior to me editing. I continued to repeat myself that I was confused and still saw guys posting / piling on. The reloading community is intense, and focused and let's be honest very eager to jump into anything. Thats usually a great thing, but we also have varying opinions that create huge divisions(barrel break in, cleaning, etc) it does get nast at times. But it's all good. I appreciate the input. As stated early on, I wasn't the one gonna be doing the fire forming any way, and as it turns out the Smith was only gonna fire form with the correct brass if we could locate it, so there never was any chance of harm. OTHER THAN- ME being a stupid idot and posting it here for others to read and maybe going, "Hmmm maybe I will try that". For which I feel stupid. But its over and done. Thx again for the input Harvey. Hopefully we can get back to the fun of the build, I mean assembly, cause I definitely am not a Smith

OP
mfllood3800
The Scope Rings finally arrived.
I am from the old way of lapping the rings and getting a good fit. Then I discovered what good rigngs were like. I have not used my scope lap equipment in years. Thankyou NightForce.

I think I may have been able to go with the medium set but wasnt sure, and for what these cost I didnt want to be wrong. Plus with the ATACR, and 130 MOA ELEV TURRET, and adj cheek riser, that extra 1/8" doesn't matter to me at all.
NFrings.jpg

OP
mfllood3800
Picked up the XLR Element 4.0 M.
This time I opted for the folder to keep size reduced due to the suppressor application.
And again as I keep repeating this statement, I am ok adding an Oz here or there to help recoil management in this 7PRC over the 6.5 PRC I just finished. It is just under 8 lbs.

I really like that this Chassis has the new Hunter DBM upgrade. I wasn't expecting that. If this were a SA I would maybe look at the new flush Mag systems too, but whoa, at $125 each, hmmmm.
This is so light/xlr3.jpg

Attachments

• xlr1.jpg
    xlr1.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 28
  • xlr2.jpg
    xlr2.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 27

MT_Wyatt

WKR
So I’m not following the it’s not here comments - I’ve got two boxes of eldm factory ammo I got from ga precision last week - and I backordered 4 boxes of eldx from Midway…..ammo is certainly coming. I’d snap up some, even though you’ll just have Hornady brass, to at least get going with if handloading. Brass is coming. I haven’t confirmed but was told you can even preorder Hornady stuff.

OP I’ve got a build going but a tad different approach…but using a 20” barrel length like you for full time suppressed rig. Jury is still out on scope selection. I like your setup/components you’ve got going though!

OP
mfllood3800
So I’m not following the it’s not here comments - I’ve got two boxes of eldm factory ammo I got from ga precision last week - and I backordered 4 boxes of eldx from Midway…..ammo is certainly coming. I’d snap up some, even though you’ll just have Hornady brass, to at least get going with if handloading. Brass is coming. I haven’t confirmed but was told you can even preorder Hornady stuff.

OP I’ve got a build going but a tad different approach…but using a 20” barrel length like you for full time suppressed rig. Jury is still out on scope selection. I like your setup/components you’ve got going though!
I have been searching for ammo. I must not be too observant- dang it.

Thx and I would love to see your set up. I am hoping to get at 2950 or even higher, with 175.

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
Got a chance to weight the chassis today- real world weight is- 2lbs 2 1/3 oz. Keep in mind this is a folder and the longer element version, not the atom which is even lighter.

Attachments

• xlr weight.jpg
    xlr weight.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
I just ordered 2 boxes
From Midway.
I did find brass tp pre order as well so I grabbed 50 of those
All Hornady
We'll see what gets here first.
I have 1 die here and the other due next week

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I have been searching for ammo. I must not be too observant- dang it.

Thx and I would love to see your set up. I am hoping to get at 29950 or even higher, with 175.
I'd love to see it too - afraid it will be a hot minute, stock order just went into McMillan yesterday......carbon six told me 3-months, smith has action/bottom metal/trigger. Suppressor in jail.

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm honestly thinking his Smith isn't on the same page and isn't aware of the actual SAAMI 7 PRC yet or something. I'm not the most experienced but even I know that's not even feasible to attempt fireforming, and I'm curious how he's got the correct dies already coming. I've seen them added to pages, but nothing in stock. Bold move, lets see how this plays out.
reamers were available prior to the actual release. Guys on LRO had several rifles built before it was announced. They're getting brass from RCC.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
reamers were available prior to the actual release. Guys on LRO had several rifles built before it was announced. They're getting brass from RCC.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I heard RCC has stopped shipping 7PRC brass for some reason. I looked at them early on, but at $6 a piece I declined and opted to wait.

Anyone even considering building a 7PRC should just save themselves the frustration and make sure to get the Alex Wheeler reamer version rather than SAAMI to avoid the PRC clicker issue.

I understand everyone wants to be in the bandwagon of the latest/greatest but now would be a terrible time to be building a 7PRC for multiple reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
mfllood3800
Anyone even considering building a 7PRC should just save themselves the frustration and make sure to get the Alex Wheeler reamer version rather than SAAMI to avoid the PRC clicker issue.

I understand everyone wants to be in the bandwagon of the latest/greatest but now would be a terrible time to be building a 7PRC for multiple reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What would those "multiple reasons" be?
PRC clickers were "mostly" ADG or other thicker type brass infringing on the tight precision chamber specs, certain actions built out of material that compromised the brass more creating premature clickers, Max powder loads, or 2x or 3x fired not fully sizing down to the web or base. Yet SAC modular dies some what help with that concern. I emailed them last night with a response they will have a modular die for the new PRC around March. I do not expect to have 2 firings on my cases by then let alone 3 due to weather and work.. I think I will have 130 cases in hand shortly. The brass will be Hornady, as it's all I can get, and most folks had little to no issues with clickers on the softer Hornady brass in the 6.5 PRC.
On my 2- 6.5PRC's I got clickers in my defiance but not my bergara, both with Lapua, also near 3rd powder node but still had 2 above it, but I decided to stay a full grain+ off pressure and still reached my 1000 yard goal for KE.
I did take my rifle to my smith who ran a new reamer thru it when I got my first clickers consistently. I honestly don't know who's reamer it was. It helped slightly, but reducing my OCW is what gave me the best results IMO but still had some heavy bolts. But again my Bergara had no clickers at all. I have 300 rounds thru it, blew out an extractor , replaced it and it has sat.
But even with all this said, this clicker is the only issue I can foresee, but still seems manageable.
Just curious what are these "multiple reasons"...

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
Dies showed up today.
Barrel is being chambered and special attention the rear section where PRC has issues is to be addressed. Will follow up on resolution and effect.700prc.jpg

OP
mfllood3800
I'd love to see it too - afraid it will be a hot minute, stock order just went into McMillan yesterday......carbon six told me 3-months, smith has action/bottom metal/trigger. Suppressor in jail.
Which Suppressor? I am using the Nomad Ti - 6"

1668304579390.png

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Which Suppressor? I am using the Nomad Ti - 6"
I pre-ordered the Backcountry Banish direct thread. Nomad Ti was the other model I was considering actually. Not 100% sure I won’t call Silencer Central and get switched to the nomad (my paperwork isn’t submitted yet). Honestly, that Gwerks 6+ looks like a pretty awesome setup, a ton like the Nomad Ti. Looking at the length and numbers, that backcountry model seemed like a pretty awesome option for hunting.

OP
mfllood3800
That’s because he declared bankruptcy. Good luck getting any brass from him.
Thats what I heard the other day. Glad I refused to pay $6 a case from this shop. Crazy stupid. I have 4 boxes of 175 due Thursday and 4 more of Friday, plus whenever Midway ships my back orders out. So I am all but set

OP
mfllood3800
OK UPDATE:

So I took the 6.5 PRC to my Smith to see if polishing the last 1/8" of the chamber area affecting the case base area would help with the clicker issue. He put the barrel in the lathe and polished .002" out of it and kept it trued up perfectly. He said it took about 15 minutes. I got the barreled action back and ran to the hills and shot 3 rounds with a huge improvement noticed. In fact I would say the "clicker" issue is all but gone. I feel a ever so slight resistance at the very end of the bolt lift, but not 100% sure thats the case/chamber anymore tolerance.
Either way I am satisfied with this as a fix for my rifle and my ammo.
I am on my 3rd firing/2nd sizing cycle and my Lapua brass base is at .532" at the base when resized thru my Redding full length sizer die.

I have several boxes of 7PRC coming tomorrow and he has the first 7PRC barrel and action done up and programed so I will take that out to test fire some brass, take dimensions, maybe reload real quick, and shoot again to see how the chamber reacts.
I will update again when that step is complete.