7 PRC Velocities / FACTORY Ammo

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
Compared Hornadys ELDX and Federals ELDX (175gr) out of my 22” Seekins Element 7PRC.

The Federals were 120fps faster…

View attachment 604403
Is it a powder difference or seating depth difference between the Hornadys and federal?

I got 6.5 boxes of Hornadys 175s with same lot numbers that I plan on deconstructing due to over pressure issues. Seems like it might be worth it to try replicate the Federals

Reactions: CDD

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
I’d be interested to see a comparison of cartridge overall length between the two. That’s a significant jump in velocity
Federal on the left, Hornady on the right. Federal is seated deeper, surprisingly. Heard a lot of discussion of Hornady possibly backing off on powder loads…certainly seems possible.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.jpeg
    IMG_0050.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0051.jpeg
    IMG_0051.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 87
I got a 7 PRC 20” Preferred Barrel Blanks barrel in carbon fiber with about 45 rounds through it. I’m shooting 175 grain ELD-X. Velocity has been all over the place, but I am assuming this is mostly because of my chronograph which isn’t the greatest (Competition Electronics ProChrono). Highest velocity recorded was 2823 and the lowest was 2679. Removing some of the outliers, and I feel like the average is about 2750.

Interesting discussion on the different lot numbers producing different velocities. I however see variation in the same box (again, the chrono is probably largely to blame).

I ordered a bunch of the Federal - I hate hunting elk with the ELD-X but I'm stuck with it. The Hornady CX was all over the place and the Hornady ELDx was money with my lowly factory Browning X bolt- .6" groups. I am seeing signs of pressure with the Hornady though- primers punched in and stiff bolt lift as well as some bit of imprinting on the bolt face- very minor but there. Hornady ammo sux for sure--- Please Barnes please get the TTSX out!!!

I ordered a bunch of the Federal - I hate hunting elk with the ELD-X but I'm stuck with it. The Hornady CX was all over the place and the Hornady ELDx was money with my lowly factory Browning X bolt- .6" groups. I am seeing signs of pressure with the Hornady though- primers punched in and stiff bolt lift as well as some bit of imprinting on the bolt face- very minor but there. Hornady ammo sux for sure--- Please Barnes please get the TTSX out!!!

I've personally tried Hendershot and they are extremely consistent.

Flynhunt

FNG
24” proof carbon. Precision Hunter 175: Average 2934, Sd 25, ES 109, several rounds with heavy bolt lift. Precision Match 180: Average 2830, Sd 21, Es 51

I shot the Federal ELDX 175 today. Much better, every bit as accurate with a few 1.5” groups at 200. No heavy bolt lifts and no punched out primers.
I’ll check into the above- thanks. The Federal will have to be my elk medicine as it’s late in the game.

WYCFM1

WKR
I'm new to reloading, would the increase in velocity have something to do with the case fill and compressing the powder?

Yeah also the bullet bearing surface stays in the neck for more time which can contribute to more pressure before it exits the case neck and clears the freebore into the lands…it’s actually a tactic behind some company’s rifle designs when speed is the big seller I’ve heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah also the bullet bearing surface stays in the neck for more time which can contribute to more pressure before it exits the case neck and clears the freebore into the lands…it’s actually a tactic behind some company’s rifle designs when speed is the big seller I’ve heard

That's not how things work and nobody designs cartridges with the desire to stuff a bullet deep in the case to increase velocity to my knowledge.

It seems like you're confusing a chamber with long freebore for how deep a bullet is seated. Long freebore allows for more powder to be burned at the same pressure because it allows the bullet to be further forward when before reaching resistance from the lands of the rifling and thus has more volume behind it for the burning powder compared to if it had shorter freebore. It also allows you to seat longer bullets out of the powder space.

People seem to give way too much credit for seating depth on velocity/pressure. If youre not on the lands, it just isnt going to make that much difference until you're playing at the extreme ends.