7 PRC help

BVG

FNG
Hey everyone - gone through the ballistics and I’m ready to pull the trigger on a 7 PRC. Want it for a 1 quiver round up to elk let’s say 500 yards or less (depending on how good I am with the rifle). Looks like there are a handful of options (unless Bergara and Tikka start producing).

- get a semi custom like Proof or Seekins

- get a stock like CA or Browning

- get a Tikka 7 Mag and throw a Proof 7 PRC barrel in there

What would everyone recommend of the options? I live in NV so suppressed is a real possibility. I like the idea of a browning x-bolt speed suppressed ready but unsure if a 20” barrel is enough to stabilize that projectile. Understanding that I will probably need to replace the x-bolt trigger with a Timney.

I’d rather save the $2k vs a Proof and use that delta for a NF or Trijicon scope but willing to spend the money if it’s going to be “my last rifle” (which won’t happen if we are being honest)

Help

Barrel length will not really affect bullet stability, stability comes from the spin of the bullet, i.e. twist rate.

A 20" 7 prc is more like a 1 gun for 1000+ yard and in hunting, using factory 180 eldm and 1800 fps minimum for bullet performance. Here's the 4 dof screenshot for that ammo, velocity adjusted for a 20" barrel and my current local environmentals
Screenshot_20230416_061154.jpg

500 yard effective terminal performance is easily accomplished with something like a 6 or 6.5 creedmoor, which are much cheaper and more pleasant to shoot than a 7 prc. IMO that makes them better choices for what you're hoping to accomplish.

Anyhow, you're on the right track by looking at nightforce and trijicon scopes.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
Seekins would be my first choice, and the Proof rifle I shot a number of years ago (7RM) shot great, would be #2.
I would skip the two stock options completely, and go for the rebarreling of the Tikka.
As mentioned, the 7PRC is more than capable out to 500 yards, but we want what we want, and there is nothing wrong with that.
In my mind, I couldn't go wrong with any of the three options, I listed above.
It just depends on what YOU want!

Sevens

WKR
I’d just build one. Buy an Origin, Atlas or other prefit capable action, get a prefit spun up on your desired barrel length, and then get the stock of your choosing that you like and fits you well.

CA gets some hate, but the ridgeline FFT I got this year (7 PRC) has been great so far... ~30 rounds is it admittedly, but no pressure, sticky bolt etc... and accuracy is already more than acceptable for a hunting rig. I'm happy with it.

Reactions: BVG
Barrel length will not really affect bullet stability, stability comes from the spin of the bullet, i.e. twist rate.

A 20" 7 prc is more like a 1 gun for 1000+ yard and in hunting, using factory 180 eldm and 1800 fps minimum for bullet performance. Here's the 4 dof screenshot for that ammo, velocity adjusted for a 20" barrel and my current local environmentals
View attachment 543236

500 yard effective terminal performance is easily accomplished with something like a 6 or 6.5 creedmoor, which are much cheaper and more pleasant to shoot than a 7 prc. IMO that makes them better choices for what you're hoping to accomplish.

Anyhow, you're on the right track by looking at nightforce and trijicon scopes.
Yea 7PRC won't come into it's own till much further out then 500 - if 500 and in is all you "want" it's more then enough.

Those speeds are a bit optimistic for Hornady factory from what I'm seeing and reading... my 180 ELD-M with a 22" pipe is averaging closer to 2850. ELD-X is slightly faster at around 2910.

New barrel so it will speed up a hair, but factory Hornady over the years for me tends to be ~75-100 FPS slower than box in a 22". With a 20" barrel I'd "plan" on about 110-140 FPS under box.

Reactions: BVG
I have a 7 PRC and I like it but if you are focused on an Elk cartridge hands down the 300 PRC.
Mine and a handful of others that belong to friends have all shot very well, it seems to be the Creedmore of the magnum world. It's an absolute hammer with the 225 ELDM.

I have a 7 PRC and I like it but if you are focused on an Elk cartridge hands down the 300 PRC.
Mine and a handful of others that belong to friends have all shot very well, it seems to be the Creedmore of the magnum world. It's an absolute hammer with the 225 ELDM.
I'd have to disagree here. My 7mm rem mag has been amazing. Plenty of power, shoots flat, but I understand the appeal of a 300 especially PRC. but I think for OP's use case the 7 PRC would be totally fine for elk. I'm actually in a similar boat, my only concern is finding ammo for the 7 PRC since right now it seems to be very limited.

I don't want to get off topic. I have also had a 7 Rem Mag that was incredible, that being said its great having modern cartridges that perform extremely well with factory ammo. I also have the advantage of owning both the 7 PRC and the 300 PRC and hands down the 300 is my choice for large mammals like Elk. Hope this is helpful to the OP.