6mm prc

Not gonna happen at 16.5” with either the prc or 06ai.
An improved saum (6UM) won’t either
Maybe a 6-7PRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I know it won’t but I’m still gonna try to see what I get.

I probably will end up doing a longer barrel on the 06AI probably 24-26”

Deere_Man

FNG
I would think that a 6mm-06 would be advantageous over a 6mm-PRC for a couple reasons. Cartridge taper and easy feeding, plenty of brass everywhere, and a plethora of used 30-06 rifles for a decent price.

khuber84

WKR
I would think that a 6mm-06 would be advantageous over a 6mm-PRC for a couple reasons. Cartridge taper and easy feeding, plenty of brass everywhere, and a plethora of used 30-06 rifles for a decent price.
PRC has slightly more capacity, magnum case head to better hold pressure. Lapua, Peterson and ADG brass available. The only performance advantage the -06 parent has is if you ackley improve it. Oh plus you need a long action.

B23

WKR
Had a 6-06AI built about eight or so years ago and kind of lost interest nearly before it was built and has been sitting in the safe since. If any of you are looking for one it's built on a LA Stiller with fluted Broughton 5R 8tw threaded and finished at right around 28in. It's essentially new with the barrel barely broke in fireforming some brass. Kevin Cram w/Montour County Rifles built it. Feel free to PM me if anyone is interested or looking for one.

A 6-6.5PRC, 6-284, 240 WBY and 6-06 all have basically the exact same case capacity. Depending on the brand of brass they're all right at 66-68gr H2O. The 6-06AI has a little boiler room then those others and would be a ballistic twin to a 6 RSAUM. My formed 6-06AI brass using Lapua 30-06 as the parent case measures 72gr H2O and the ADG 6.5 SAUM brass I have holds 73gr so necked down to 6mm they'd pretty much be twins.

As for which one handles pressure better a mag case head VS standard bolt face I recall reading something Kirby Allen wrote on LRH some years back on how the smaller case head has less bolt thrust then a larger one.

Deere_Man

FNG
PRC has slightly more capacity, magnum case head to better hold pressure. Lapua, Peterson and ADG brass available. The only performance advantage the -06 parent has is if you ackley improve it. Oh plus you need a long action.

Capacity difference isn’t and issue, pressure on a 270 case isn’t an issue, and building a hunting rifle onto a long action also isn’t an issue.

BBob

WKR
smaller case head has less bolt thrust then a larger one
True

Side note: The calculation can vary depending on the brass used . The internal diameter at the web of the case is used, not the external case-head size. For a general idea or for comparison sake (but not truly correct) the external dimension could be used.

06 estimated bolt thrust @ SAAMI max 60K psi ~10.5K lb ft
PPC estimated bolt thrust @ SAAMI 65K max psi ~15K lb ft

Last edited: