6mm prc

TaperPin

WKR
I don’t have any experience, but I’m waiting on a 16.5” 6 PRC barrel from PBB then I got an itch to read all of P.O. Ackley’s books and I now want to build a 6mm-06AI or 6mm-270AI. I hope you share your results from your barrel!!
I really like the look of the Ackley cartridges - I haven’t yet actually seen a 243 Super Rockchucker case or even a good drawing of the dimensions, so I’m not sure how close it is to the Ackley. One person said it’s very close to an Ackley, but with not quite as much of a blunt shoulder. Carosafe has been picked up to cast the chamber and I’m excited to see the dimensions. Rounding up reloading dies for a decent price seems to be the biggest challenge - hopefully a 280AI bushing die will work for neck sizing. 243 Super RC dies do come up for sale from time to time, but nothing on EBay since having the barrel.

As you probably know, velocities for these vary all over the place - 200 extra fps over a 243 seems reasonable, but I won’t complain if it goes 300+ fps more with the extra 6” of barrel. There isn’t much information on the newer powders with this dinosaur, but there is probably a better choice than H4831.

What books do you recommend? I've been very interested in him since I got my 280ai which I still think is a really badass cartridge. But I have a model 70 that's begging for a new barrel and the 6.5 or 6-06 has been high on my list for a while.
The ones I have read Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders (Volume 1) by Parker O. Ackley, Handbook for Shooters and Reloaded (Illustrated) - Loading Data - Theory Practice - Wildcat Cartridges by Parker O. Ackley, and P.O. Ackley - America’s Gunsmith - Wildcat Cartridges and Designs that Changed History by Fred Zeglin. I found all of these on Amazon. It is quite interesting to read all of these in today’s day and age.

If you have any other questions, let me know and I hope I was some help!

I really like the look of the Ackley cartridges - I haven’t yet actually seen a 243 Super Rockchucker case or even a good drawing of the dimensions, so I’m not sure how close it is to the Ackley. One person said it’s very close to an Ackley, but with not quite as much of a blunt shoulder. Carosafe has been picked up to cast the chamber and I’m excited to see the dimensions. Rounding up reloading dies for a decent price seems to be the biggest challenge - hopefully a 280AI bushing die will work for neck sizing. 243 Super RC dies do come up for sale from time to time, but nothing on EBay since having the barrel.

As you probably know, velocities for these vary all over the place - 200 extra fps over a 243 seems reasonable, but I won’t complain if it goes 300+ fps more with the extra 6” of barrel. There isn’t much information on the newer powders with this dinosaur, but there is probably a better choice than H4831.
So I have done a bit of research on the 243 SRC and have found out that it is built off of the 25-06 then improved. There is a thread with a bit of information on the LRHF. I hope that it helps you figure out what you may need for your project!

Also, I am going to create a thread named 6mm-06 Cartridge Variants and I hope you share your load development and experience on there! Thanks!

khuber84

WKR
I don’t have any experience, but I’m waiting on a 16.5” 6 PRC barrel from PBB then I got an itch to read all of P.O. Ackley’s books and I now want to build a 6mm-06AI or 6mm-270AI. I hope you share your results from your barrel!!
So I have done a bit of research on the 243 SRC and have found out that it is built off of the 25-06 then improved. There is a thread with a bit of information on the LRHF. I hope that it helps you figure out what you may need for your project!

Also, I am going to create a thread named 6mm-06 Cartridge Variants and I hope you share your load development and experience on there! Thanks!

A 6x284, 6prc, 6-06 imp will all be 68-70gr capacity. Assuming lapua/Peterson brass. That means at equal psi, there will be likely a 50-75fps spread between em. Pick what cartridge fits your action best or you're most set on components for reloading. I mean a top end load in 6cm with high performance powders like rl26 or N560 will be right on these guys heels but using 10gr less powder. I have a 6saum, 6 PRC in the works, but also 4 different 6cm barrels. They're all great cartridges!

TaperPin

WKR

Thanks for the info - whichever variant someone has seems like a solid cartridge. I’ve always thought if Remington hadn’t introduced the 25-06, a 6mm-06 of some sort would have been brought out as a factory loading. There was a lot of demand, at least in Wyoming, for a fast light deer/antelope cartridge between 243 win and 270 win.

Last edited:
A 6x284, 6prc, 6-06 imp will all be 68-70gr capacity. Assuming lapua/Peterson brass. That means at equal psi, there will be likely a 50-75fps spread between em. Pick what cartridge fits your action best or you're most set on components for reloading. I mean a top end load in 6cm with high performance powders like rl26 or N560 will be right on these guys heels but using 10gr less powder. I have a 6saum, 6 PRC in the works, but also 4 different 6cm barrels. They're all great cartridges
I know the 6 Creedmoor does pretty good, but the velocities out of a 16-20” barrel isn’t optimal with 100-115 gr. projectiles for long range shots.

I’m shooting for 3200-3300 FPS with that weight of projectiles out of a 16.5” barrel.

Thanks for the info - whichever variant someone has seems like a solid cartridge. I’ve always thought if Remington hadn’t introduced the 25-06, a 6mm-06 of some sort would have been brought out as a factory loading. There was a lot of demand, at least in Wyoming, for a fast light deer/antelope cartridge between 243 win and 270 win.
I absolutely agree. I think that it is going to be a fun cartridge here in MT.

I am planning to post all of my results of my testing and hunts on the “6mm-06 Cartridge Variants” thread.

The Guide

WKR
I know the 6 Creedmoor does pretty good, but the velocities out of a 16-20” barrel isn’t optimal with 100-115 gr. projectiles for long range shots.

I’m shooting for 3200-3300 FPS with that weight of projectiles out of a 16.5” barrel.
What cartridge are you shooting?

Jay

khuber84

WKR

Then a 75+ gr capacity case will be needed, magnum case head. I have a long freebore 6saum(72gr capacity) and at 24" it'll top out over 3400 w/ dtacs, but at 16" I'd likely lose around 300fps at equal psi.

Odd1out

Lil-Rokslider
Just one step
I’m fairly certain with lapua brass I’m using a .271 bushing. Haven’t lost a piece yet. I started with Redding bushing dies and they worked great. Now I have the SAC universal prc die- same neck tension but it does a portion of the shoulder as well. They’re nice but not worth retail IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I'm looking at going down 6prc rabbit hole. I found the part number for the redding 6.5prc die #77487. What is the part number for the .271 bushing? Also just to make sure I understand correctly I take the expander ball out of the redding die and use a expander mandrel

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
So I'm looking at going down 6prc rabbit hole. I found the part number for the redding 6.5prc die #77487. What is the part number for the .271 bushing? Also just to make sure I understand correctly I take the expander ball out of the redding die and use a expander mandrel

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Correct on the mandrel

Odd1out

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 759402
That’s a 26” barrel with N570 and a 109 ELDM. I’m a grain below pressure. Sweet little cartridge.
That is impressive and from what I’m reading all over this site is this setup (6 creed mainly) with those bullets is definitely a deadly combo! I can only imagine what that bullet at that speed is able to do!

After reading the 243/ 6mm thread I shelved my 300wm (for now) and shoot my 6.5sst running the Berger 156 as my big gun and my 25 creed (my 2 sons will be shooting this for their cow hunts in a few weeks) as my main guns

I’m definitely excited for this cartridge!!!

SloppyJ

WKR

How far are you wanting to shoot this thing? I shoot one in PRS out to 1200yds. I think I'd limit it to 700 or so based on velocity but how much further you looking to go?

huntnful

WKR
That is impressive and from what I’m reading all over this site is this setup (6 creed mainly) with those bullets is definitely a deadly combo! I can only imagine what that bullet at that speed is able to do!

After reading the 243/ 6mm thread I shelved my 300wm (for now) and shoot my 6.5sst running the Berger 156 as my big gun and my 25 creed (my 2 sons will be shooting this for their cow hunts in a few weeks) as my main guns

I’m definitely excited for this cartridge!!!
I think it’s only maybe 150-200fps faster than a 6 creed with similar barrel length?

So it’s really just an extra 100 yards of performance. As much as I like hot rods and fast bullets, the actual real world abilities at sub 600 yard type ranges aren’t much different. It’s just fun to shoot a bullet fast, but the animal is going to die either way. You do gain a little ranging error forgiveness though, which is probably more of a benefit than anything terminally.

How far are you wanting to shoot this thing? I shoot one in PRS out to 1200yds. I think I'd limit it to 700 or so based on velocity but how much further you looking to go?
I’ll shoot it on steel out to at least 1600 yards if not farther. On game, I will probably limit myself to 800 in the perfect conditions. I much prefer 600 yards and in. The closer the better.

amassi

WKR
I am currently waiting on a 6 PRC barrel and will be ordering a 6-06 AI barrel on Black Friday. Both 16.5” 1-7.5 barrels. I’m going to try get 3200-3300 FPS. Only time will tell.

I am currently waiting on a 6 PRC barrel and will be ordering a 6-06 AI barrel on Black Friday. Both 16.5” 1-7.5 barrels. I’m going to try get 3200-3300 FPS. Only time will tell.

Not gonna happen at 16.5” with either the prc or 06ai.
An improved saum (6UM) won’t either
Maybe a 6-7PRC