6mm and .223/5.56 ILLEGAL for big game in Alaska!

Exactly. Also OP why redact the name of the proposer. Seems pointless.

I redacted the proposal authors name because it's irrelevant. I'm interested in making people aware of the proposal, not blasting the author.

Last edited:
I looked really hard but I didn't see anything about arrows......

Randy

Why does this tired old argument persist?

Bullets and arrows kill entirely differently. Arrow’s doesn’t rely on velocity and tissue crushing/destruction like bullets do.

Ultimately the end result is the same but they are not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Why does this tired old argument persist?

Bullets and arrows kill entirely differently. Arrow’s doesn’t rely on velocity and tissue crushing/destruction like bullets do.

Ultimately the end result is the same but they are not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Because even the small calibers do much more damage than an arrow. Yes the mechanics are different, but ultimately sufficient cutting of vital organs is what both of them do to result in death.

So if arrows are legal/ethical, pretty much all bullets should be as well.

I would bet, a .223 with 77 TMK would be more effective, but illegal under the proposed rule, compared to a .25 mono metal or copper bullet at medium to low velocity, which would be legal, but would result in a pencil size hole in an animal, similar to a field point tipped arrow.

Because even the small calibers do much more damage than an arrow. Yes the mechanics are different, but ultimately sufficient cutting of vital organs is what both of them do to result in death.

So if arrows are legal/ethical, pretty much all bullets should be as well.

I would bet, a .223 with 77 TMK would be more effective, but illegal under the proposed rule, compared to a .25 mono metal or copper bullet at medium to low velocity, which would be legal, but would result in a pencil size hole in an animal, similar to a field point tipped arrow.
Who shoots field tips at animals?

Similar proposals have been shot down in the past, hopefully they get shot down again.

I like how the first one is buy a person who is not even an Alaskan and only comes up for the tourist season. Also, someone who will empty an entire AR mag at an animal and think they missed it will not be fixed by a larger bore.

Who shoots field tips at animals?

I don’t feel like it’s much of an argument. Assuming that you’re using the best options for both bullet and arrow, a 223, 22-250, 243, and 22 Creed are all far more devastating on tissue using standard expanding ammunition than a bow is using a broadhead.

A broadhead is going to be similar to a well expanding pistol round. Both affecting tissue with direct cutting and contact. They are about equal when placed appropriately.

The biggest thing that even makes this vaguely an argument are people taking poor, long shots, with a rifle caliber that might be a little marginal to begin with. Placement is off, and you see a bad outcome. If a rifle hunter with a smaller caliber never shot beyond standard bow distances, you wouldn’t hear stories of animals wounded. The other factor that complicates this is that bow hunters are usually the more experienced and patient of hunters. It’s already a biased group due to that with regard to talent and experience, which often leads to better placed shots due to more patience and better stalking.

But if you told someone in a life or death situation that they had one chance to make a kill on an animal at 50 yards and offered them a 223 with 62gr Barnes TTSX going 2900 fps or a compound bow with an Iron Will broadhead (or whatever your flavor is), what are you picking?

Back