6mm/6.5

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Context? What setup lost zero?
Tally one piece rings and a Zeiss v4. I grouped the hits approximately 10 in right of point of aim. I fell multiple times on my rifle during this hunt and I'm somewhat making assumptions that I had lost zero. It's really hard to draw any hard conclusions though. At the time I just accepted re-zeroing my rifle as a normal thing. This was an out-of-state hunt and when I got there I checked and adjusted zero. I've since started zeroing off of much larger groups and have hardened my scope and mounting systems. All that to say it could very well be loss of zero, poor zero plus some undetected amount of wind or any combination of the above. As an aside. This rifle would require about 16 mph of wind to drift that much and I'm pretty confident I would have noticed that.

Man! I was a 7mm guy and still have one. Shot that round at everything. Shot @mcseal2 264 and decided I wanted a 6.5. Bought a 6.5 cm, wanted more fps. Sold it and bought a 6.5 prc. I enjoy it. Looking at a 243 for my son to shoot down the road probably be barreled to 6cm. Just need to find an adjustable stock for him. AR is good at 10.5 lop.

Manners needs to make an adjustable stock for the tikka like the cs2! Not a cheap youth stock but can run it for him, wife, and all the way out for me!

mcseal2

WKR
I've had great results with my 264 win mag, just mostly under 500 yards. I've taken a lot of game between 300 and 400 yards with it. I shoot a 140 grain Berger VLD Hunting bullet at 2914fps average. I'm not pushing it to hard, but that's where I found consistent velocity and accuracy. It's never given me a reason to change.

I sometimes get exit wounds, sometimes find jacket material under the offside hide. I've never lost an animal yet with the Bergers. The lack of an exit wound did concern me if I make a bad shot, but the internal damage has been sufficient that nothing has ever gone far. I've had similar good results with the 6mm 87 and 95 grain bullets. I shot the 185gr Bergers from my 300 win mag on one hunt but went back to the Nosler 180gr E tip. The Berger killed the muley just fine, but I like having my 264 set up for a Berger and my 300 set up for a tough bullet. It lets me pick what performance I want for the hunt.

Anyway, that doesn't answer the original question but it's what I can share.

rokbottom

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I have 5000 blem 140g fusions on their way. For roughly 12 cents a bullet, I figure I’ll use them for 100yd positional practice if they are that beat up.

Does anyone have a reliable velocity for full expansion?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Well, I have 5000 blem 140g fusions on their way. For roughly 12 cents a bullet, I figure I’ll use them for 100yd positional practice if they are that beat up.

Does anyone have a reliable velocity for full expansion?

Good upset down to 1,900 to 1,800fps impact. Once you get into the 1,800fps impact range, there is some variability in most/all bullets.

Sako300

WKR
Good upset down to 1,900 to 1,800fps impact. Once you get into the 1,800fps impact range, there is some variability in most/all bullets.
Any experience with the Longrange Accubonds 142gr in the 6.5? I know they advertised 1300 fps on these bullets still opening at the minimal speed. I’ve seen a guy on YouTube shoot thru bone, hide and a gel block at 1600 fps thru his chronograph with 20 inches of penetration in the gel after initial contact with bone and hide. Was just curious if you or anyone has ran this bullet on game in the field under 1800 fps. I have not.

I've been along for an Oryx hunt with 6.5CM where a bull was taken at 540 yards. No follow-up shots required which these animals sometimes need.

I have shot a white tail at 540 yards with a 6.5-06 156gr Berger. It was a full pass through couldn’t have asked for a better outcome. I hit a double lung and one rib. Don’t know if a shoulder would’ve stopped it or not

gerry35

WKR
Any experience with the Longrange Accubonds 142gr in the 6.5? I know they advertised 1300 fps on these bullets still opening at the minimal speed. I’ve seen a guy on YouTube shoot thru bone, hide and a gel block at 1600 fps thru his chronograph with 20 inches of penetration in the gel after initial contact with bone and hide. Was just curious if you or anyone has ran this bullet on game in the field under 1800 fps. I have not.
I'm curious too about the 150 gr ABLR and the 142 mentioned here. I did shoot some deer all at close range with the 129 gr ABLR just after it was released and definitely noticed bigger wound channels compared to Accubond's, Ballistic Tips and Grand Slam's. Thinking those 150 gr ABLR's would be perfect for my wife's 6.5x55 for moose and deer.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
2020 bull elk with 6.5creed 147 eldm 600 yards ~2150fps impact velocity. Bull was hit in the neck/shoulder junction and dropped, dead instantly

2022 Mule deer buck with same 6.5creed cut to 20” 147 eldm 500 yards ~2025fps impact velocity, quartered away shot entered about mid rib and exit behind shoulder. Shot again but buck was dead on his feet, only traveled maybe 30 yards and down within about 40 seconds.
This is making me feel much better about my current 20" 6.5-284 Norma build using ELD-X ammo.