6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game

amassi

WKR
I know of the David Tubb & Sierra 115 DTAC but thought that had no tip. Was it a one-off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
67c27abc2e7f08b918800d0f7d1ea1b7.jpg

Hurley88

FNG
Holy heck thanks @amassi

Definitely everyone email bomb them. Any time I’ve mentioned something that requires more than 1:8” twist I haven’t gotten a warm reception. Who knows? If they get tons of emails maybe they’ll see the light.

But I will say they get tons of requests and they’re all across the board. If there was a concerted email push for a 107 or 110 TMK in 6mm, they’d be more apt to listen. It has to be something people can shoot in readily available factory rifles. Baby steps. Once they see that there’s a market they’ll likely go further; but they’re already behind the times as is.

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
After reading several threads about the TMK, I too am searching for the 6mm 95gr for my 6x45 bolt gun. Might try the 130gr 6.5’s in my CM.

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to add a 6mm of some flavor over the winter. Researching now…
How does the 95 TMK compare terminally to the 108 ELDM, and / or a Nosler 95 BT?
Thoughts on effective velocity window differences would also be greatly appreciated.
TMK External ballistics looks to fall between the other two.
I’d think giving up a slight B.C. edge for improved terminal effectiveness would be pragmatic???

After reading several threads about the TMK, I too am searching for the 6mm 95gr for my 6x45 bolt gun. Might try the 130gr 6.5’s in my CM.

I have a 6X45 AR. I have found I get the best performance from 90 grain or less bullets, but some of that may be due to mag length restrictions. I have windowed my mags, so I can load a bit longer, but here is a list of bullets that have performed extremely well on paper and game from that rifle.

Hornady 87 grain Single Shot Pistol (discontinued but there are still some floating around out there)
Hornady 90 grain ELDX
Sierra 80 grain Single Shot Pistol (again discontinued)
Sierra 85 grain HPBT GameKing
Sierra 80 grain SBT Varminter (this bullet is actually very similar to the SSP bullet listed above)

KyleR1985

WKR
Where did you get the 95gr TMK;s???
Non online gun store.

If there was more I would’ve bought and shared the love here. That’s all they had.

If you’re looking - I don’t think you’re going to find any on google. I think you’re looking for mom and pop shops.

Now to call Sierra and cancel the order they took due to a website glitch…

Eiden

Lil-Rokslider
Well, put all the research to test this year. Built a 6-284 running 109 LRHT at 3150. Needless to say I am impressed with the capabilities of the smaller calibers.

Bull elk at 250 yards, elk was perfectly broadside and the first round was placed in the center of chest behind the crease. Bull humped up and ran ten yards and stopped quartering slightly away. I sent another round right through the same entrance hole. Bull dropped at the shot. Whole thing took roughly 6-8 seconds from first shot to the bull hitting the ground.

IMG_1159.jpg

Entrance hole - one of the rounds struck a rib going in. I’m assuming it was the first due to slightly less overall penetration.

IMG_1142.jpg

Off side - first round is the bloodshot spot in the center which was just under the shoulder on opposite side. Second round was the one on the lower right. Fragments and pieces of bullet were found in the shoulder just under the hide on that shot.

IMG_1143.jpg

I have been wanting to rebarrel a Tikka 7-08 to 6 creed for a while after seeing all the reports here. I saw an 8 twist 243 barrel on J and A and jumped on it yesterday, got the threaded option and got an email saying it'll ship out today! Did I leave anything on the table going with the 243 vs the 6 creed? Other than the cool kid factor of the creed? I feel like theres no real world difference, except the heavy for caliber options of the creed. I do reload so that'll negate that. Also being in California, I should shoot monos here, and will load the 95 lrx, anyone else have data on monos?

amassi

WKR
I have been wanting to rebarrel a Tikka 7-08 to 6 creed for a while after seeing all the reports here. I saw an 8 twist 243 barrel on J and A and jumped on it yesterday, got the threaded option and got an email saying it'll ship out today! Did I leave anything on the table going with the 243 vs the 6 creed? Other than the cool kid factor of the creed? I feel like theres no real world difference, except the heavy for caliber options of the creed. I do reload so that'll negate that. Also being in California, I should shoot monos here, and will load the 95 lrx, anyone else have data on monos?

The only drawback is factory ammo with the 103/108.
You can reload both
Correct there’s no difference especially if you use m+mags you can get that 243 really cooking with the extra capacity

SouthPaw

WKR
Since you reload, you're in good shape. 243 factory ammo is lacking in heavy for caliber options. Load the 103eldx or 108eldm.

For California, call up DRT Ammo and order some of their 95g Terminal Shock bullets and load those.

amassi

WKR
Since you reload, you're in good shape. 243 factory ammo is lacking in heavy for caliber options. Load the 103eldx or 108eldm.

For California, call up DRT Ammo and order some of their 95g Terminal Shock bullets and load those.

They don’t ship to Californians without an ffl.
And the 95s have been out of stock for quite a while.

SouthPaw

WKR
They don’t ship to Californians without an ffl.
And the 95s have been out of stock for quite a while.

You are not wrong, it's a bit strange to need to use an FFL just for bullets and I respect the frustration and maybe choosing not to use them. In my opinion it is worth it if you are choosing to hunt lead-free with reloads in CA.

They rarely have their website stock accurate, always worth calling them. Folks have reported getting 95s recently ordering over the phone. But again I understand it being a pain and choosing alternatives.

Kid shot a deer with her .243 a couple weeks ago.

Hornady BTSP Interlocks 100 grains.

Recvovered the bullet and it was 53 grains.

Dead is dead I guess, but I wasn't impressed with the blood trail. But I never am with a .243 which is why I don't like it as a big game cartridge.

Getting her a 308 setup for next year for sure. I knew better than to have her shooting a woodchuck gun.....

Dead is dead I guess, but I wasn't impressed with the blood trail. But I never am with a .243 which is why I don't like it as a big game cartridge.

Getting her a 308 setup for next year for sure. I knew better than to have her shooting a woodchuck gun.....
Careful with the recoil on the .308. My daughter did not find a RA in .308 (165 gr) and laminate wood stock comfortable to shoot at all. Loves her Tikka 7-08 (162 gr) though. If you go .308 may want to get a suppressor if you don't have one already.

Careful with the recoil on the .308. My daughter did not find a RA in .308 (165 gr) and laminate wood stock comfortable to shoot at all. Loves her Tikka 7-08 (162 gr) though. If you go .308 may want to get a suppressor if you don't have one already.
Might go with a 7mm-08. Not sure yet but it will be something with a bigger bullet than what a .243 offers. Thats for sure.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Yes, because that is easier than just using a better bullet.

Not me but this guy uploaded a video today shooting a 6x6 elk at 862 yards with his 6CM. Looks like he was using a tripod as his main support too.

Timestamp about 21:24 for the shot.