6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
It’s violently effective. I don’t really have experience yet though, besides for two deer yesterday. Mine at 414 with the full pass though and football size exit and a 90 yard shot by my buddy. He hit high shoulder, through the upper scapula, spinous process and caught in offside hide. Softball sized wound cavity there as well.

The 90 yard shot ..View attachment 744592
Looks like yall are having a little too much “fun”….

Foster_65

FNG
@Formidilosus or anyone have any experience with the 6mm 95 HPBT matching on game. Just found a promising load in 6 arc. Calling them hollow point is even a bit of a stretch as the meplat pretty much comes to a point. Have to file flat before a guy can even open them up. There is a pretty large cavity under the point but not sure if it will fragment like I would like. Wish I could find the tmk but no luck. Anyone shot a critter?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus or anyone have any experience with the 6mm 95 HPBT matching on game. Just found a promising load in 6 arc. Calling them hollow point is even a bit of a stretch as the meplat pretty much comes to a point. Have to file flat before a guy can even open them up. There is a pretty large cavity under the point but not sure if it will fragment like I would like. Wish I could find the tmk but no luck. Anyone shot a critter?

If you mean the Sierra Matchking HPBT, I would not suggest that bullet for hunting. It is a “closed nose” design and is sometimes extremely variable in how it performs in tissue. The 95gr Berger VLD and Hybrud Hunter, 105gr and 112gr Barnes MatchBurner, ELD-M and X’s, etc are all much better/more consistent in tissue

Hoggetter

FNG
I shot a mid sized hog at 610 yards this morning with a 6CM, 108-elite hunter hand loads pumped up pretty hot H4350, Hornady brass, Win large rifle primer, .012 off Lands
150 lb hog @ 610yds, bang flop
Muzzle velocity 3150 fps
Impact velocity 2196 fps
Impact energy 1157 ft lbs
MOA dial 8.75 moa
Sig Kilo 10k Gen2 bino’s
Tikka/Proof 24” with NX8

Foster_65

FNG
If you mean the Sierra Matchking HPBT, I would not suggest that bullet for hunting. It is a “closed nose” design and is sometimes extremely variable in how it performs in tissue. The 95gr Berger VLD and Hybrud Hunter, 105gr and 112gr Barnes MatchBurner, ELD-M and X’s, etc are all much better/more consistent in tissue
Yep that’s the one. Thank you. What I needed to know

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
So I picked up a compact 243 new for a steal. Such a steal my wife also picked up the last one. What’s everyone’s thoughts on 80ish weight coppers? 1:10s I think.

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider
So I picked up a compact 243 new for a steal. Such a steal my wife also picked up the last one. What’s everyone’s thoughts on 80ish weight coppers? 1:10s I think.
I think the general consensus is don't shoot copper unless you have to.

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
6mm or everything? Cuz I’m using copper for all things these days. Don’t have to just do.

Last edited:

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider
6mm or everything? Cuz I’m using copper for all things these days. Don’t have to just do.
I have had better luck with the terminal performance of traditiona lead bullets. If you want a not-so-brief synopsis, the 223 thread is a good place to start

I ran some fake numbers through a couple calculators. At about 200ft elevation and 32F, a 20" barrel with Hornady factory 80gr cx (assume 3000fps) would be marginal stability or not stable, I think. It's weird they don't give a min twist for either of their copper 243 bullets or for their loaded factory ammo for those two bullets in 243 win.

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
Did you put them in a stabilization calculator? It sounds like it could be borderline.
calculators I’ve tried using ask for the bullet length and most manufacturers don’t list that in the specs. So without the bullet in hand how do you use the calculator accurately. Edit: more list lengths then I thought.
I ran some fake numbers through a couple calculators. At about 200ft elevation and 32F, a 20" barrel with Hornady factory 80gr cx (assume 3000fps) would be marginal stability or not stable, I think. It's weird they don't give a min twist for either of their copper 243 bullets or for their loaded factory ammo for those two bullets in 243 win.
Barnes’s 80gr 243win load is rated to 1:10 and faster. They seem to be the only manufacturer that does or at l at I’ve found so far.

The Guide

WKR
calculators I’ve tried using ask for the bullet length and most manufacturers don’t list that in the specs. So without the bullet in hand how do you use the calculator accurately. Edit: more list lengths then I thought.

Barnes’s 80gr 243win load is rated to 1:10 and faster. They seem to be the only manufacturer that does or at l at I’ve found so far.
This has most of the bullet lengths.

Jay

The Guide

WKR
Interesting didn’t know this existed. So if a bullet were marginally stable what would I expect to see? Keyholing at 25yds or weird things are longer ranges?
My experience with marginal stability has shown up by 100 yards when supersonic and by 50 yards when subsonic.

Jay

Big_wals

WKR
Ive shot 80 grain barnes out of a 1:10, they shot fine. Killed three deer with that load and was underwhelmed with the performance. All three died, but traveled around 100 to 125 yards. The wound channel reminded of the damage you would expect from a broadhead. Very minimal meat loss though, and I was killing does in crop fields with depredation permits so long blood trails weren’t a problem, just shoot and watch em run till they tipped over.