6mm-06 Cartridge Variants

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The 6.5-06 AI was and is still a lot of fun to shoot and can achieve good performance. With that said, I will not build another after my last barrel is toast.

Depending on my desired speeds, I will do a 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC, or 6.5 SAUM. I will most likely stick with 6.5 CM.

I would build a 6 CM for 6 mm. I see no reason to shoot a 6 mm faster than the 6 CM is capable of. I know @Ryan Avery likes his 6UM, but I don't think it's worth the trouble or lack of barrel life. My experience says I will hit as many targets and kill just as many animals with the 6 CM versus the 6UM.

OP
UngulateGuardian797
The 6.5-06 AI was and is still a lot of fun to shoot and can achieve good performance. With that said, I will not build another after my last barrel is toast.

Depending on my desired speeds, I will do a 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC, or 6.5 SAUM. I will most likely stick with 6.5 CM.

I would build a 6 CM for 6 mm. I see no reason to shoot a 6 mm faster than the 6 CM is capable of. I know @Ryan Avery likes his 6UM, but I don't think it's worth the trouble or lack of barrel life. My experience says I will hit as many targets and kill just as many animals with the 6 CM versus the 6UM.
I understand what you’re saying. I absolutely love my 6 Creedmoors.

I just want to push the 100+ gr. projectiles fast and I want to try an AI. I also want to see how it compares to my 6 PRC. It’s just a personal experience thing for me!

I have a 6mm-06, 27" barrel, and get 3200 fps with 112 Match Burners. 55 gr. 7977. Seems like a relatively mild load, has good brass life. I am planning on getting a 19" barrel for a different rifle, and am hoping on getting 3000 fps with it. So far I really like the cartridge. It is easy to load for, not mainstream, classic, and I don't think that it is horribly inefficient. So far I have used it on several mule deer with the 103 eldx; it worked superbly. I am hopefully going to get a chance to try the match burners on elk this fall.

OP
UngulateGuardian797
I have a 6mm-06, 27" barrel, and get 3200 fps with 112 Match Burners. 55 gr. 7977. Seems like a relatively mild load, has good brass life. I am planning on getting a 19" barrel for a different rifle, and am hoping on getting 3000 fps with it. So far I really like the cartridge. It is easy to load for, not mainstream, classic, and I don't think that it is horribly inefficient. So far I have used it on several mule deer with the 103 eldx; it worked superbly. I am hopefully going to get a chance to try the match burners on elk this fall.
Heck yeah!! Please share with us your results on elk!!

I’m going to be using my 6 Creedmoor this fall on my bull elk permit with the 108 ELDM

As mentioned above. 243 catbird. I’m waiting on a 6mmAI, should be here November. I think the 6mm case is the best size for a fast 6mm. More than the creed but less than prc/06

SloppyJ

WKR
A couple of us have 6mm-280AI wildcats and 3350 fps with a 110 MK is pretty easy. 27” barrel.

It s a flat shooter with that 600 G1 BC bullet!

I like that idea the best. I think the 280ai is the play. You can get good brass and step it down from there instead of starting at .308 diameter. It's extremely efficient with the 7mm projectiles but I'm sure you'll lose quite a bit being that overbore. Sounds just like what the OP is looking for.

SloppyJ

WKR
used to shoot dogs with one fella that had a 6-06. another had a 240wby. while both were ok, neither ran circles around my 243Ack.

the guy with the 240 also had a 25-06 and it ran circles around the 243A.

i kept the 243A and added a couple 6mm Remingtons to the stable for less hassle.
the guy with the 6-06 rebarreled it to a 6BR and the 240w was turned into a 6mm rem.

the 8 tw barrels all shoot 6mm 55gr bal tips fast and accurate with none blowing up.

make sure to get a couple shots on the brass before you send it in for the die.

Why do you say it ran circles around the 243?

rayporter

WKR
on our second p dog shoot Sam had rebarreled his old rifle with a genuine Douglass premium in 25-06.
mike had a 220 swift that was getting its butt kicked all over the dirt by the 243.... real bad .... like he could not hit much beyond300yd with his 45gr bullets. the 243 was easy at 450 and hitting some at 650.. got one at 688,

Sam sat down with the 25-06 and mike looks at the water tank that sam was shooting at and says "it is just pure luck if anyone hits one out there"
Sam hit 3 in a row at 712yd. the 6 mm rifles were great but not that great, the 25 just seemed a notch better every time.

i put a new 243A barrel on mine last year.

3 of us have plain jane 6mm Remingtons. a fair balance of speed and barrel life.

OP
UngulateGuardian797
Two a couple inches apart right behind the shoulder, this was the final shot, went through the neck and shoulder, stopped in the hide on the far side. 112 Matchburner. Elk.
Nice!!

IMG_1242.jpeg
This is the jacket of a 108 ELDM after going almost the full length of an antelope doe.

50 yard frontal shot on the top edge of the sternum. Shredded the lungs and heart and I found it lodged in the back right in front of the hips