6ARC Tikka

Has anyone actually tested a 308 Tikka bolt face to see if it feeds and extracts reliably with the arc case?

Or would it require a reamed 223 Tikka bolt?

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Has anyone actually tested a 308 Tikka bolt face to see if it feeds and extracts reliably with the arc case?

The latter. IMHO the 6 ARC is the best argument for an aftermarket scaled "T2x" receiver with a native Russian bolt face. Use the like button to indicate interest at the $1k price point and I'll go make some machine shop inquiries.

-J

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider

The .308 case head is .473 and the 6 ARC is .441, so a difference of .032. I know you just said feeding and extracting, but I wouldn't be eager to light one off with an unsupported case head like that.

The .308 case head is .473 and the 6 ARC is .441, so a difference of .032. I know you just said feeding and extracting, but I wouldn't be eager to light one off with an unsupported case head like that.
I'm confused. How does the bolt face support the case head? I'm not sure why firing a 441 case on a 473 bolt face would be an issue at all.

I'm definitely not talking about firing a 6aec round in a 308 rifle. Only using the 308/473 bolt.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
This is why the gay tiger was invented. Problem solved.

-J

Except for the whole factory ammo in most sporting good stores, just like the 6BR. Woulda/coulda/shoulda- the ARC is what we’ve got for a viable factory option.

Getting a Tikka 308 bolt bushed to use the grendal/ARC case isn’t hard, you are already getting a barrel spun on. There will be a couple for S2H rental rifles.

This is why the gay tiger was invented. Problem solved.

-J

Meh. I've got 2 6 creed tikka barrels already. I'd want full scale 6 BR simplicity, recoil, economy rather than an incremental step between the two of them.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
I'm confused. How does the bolt face support the case head? I'm not sure why firing a 441 case on a 473 bolt face would be an issue at all.

I'm definitely not talking about firing a 6aec round in a 308 rifle. Only using the 308/473 bolt.
I am under the impression that the bolt face diameter is sized close to the diameter of the case to provide support during firing. As in prevent outward growth of the brass and provide the back stop for the chamber during firing. If that's not the true and the bolt face doesn't have a role in supporting the case head, I'm always open to learning!

I am under the impression that the bolt face diameter is sized close to the diameter of the case to provide support during firing. As in prevent outward growth of the brass and provide the back stop for the chamber during firing. If that's not the true and the bolt face doesn't have a role in supporting the case head, I'm always open to learning!
I see. No it doesn't support the case in that way. If it did, you would need a special bolt head for many different cartridges. Example, Tikka magnum bolt can shoot 300wm, 300saum, 300wsm. Different rim diameters and body diameters.

Bodhisafa

FNG
Trying to follow this thread info.

I want to build a tikka 22 arc, besides the bolt face change what mags will feed the ARC round?

OP
Ajsomp

Ajsomp

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a 223 and 6.5 cm… have to have the 6mm minimum cause of wyo elk. Would you sell the 223 to fund a suppressor?
I wouldn’t sell the 223. Lots of practice from it and while the barrel isn’t near limitless, it’s probably a lifetime barrel for most people.

BlueJay

FNG
Classified Approved
I went this route on a build I put together over the summer. Mostly hunt in the WV/VA/MD area so longest shot I'd ever take in the field is 400 yards. Swapped a standard bolt for a .223 bolt and had it opened up for the 6 ARC.

Tikka T3X SS
20" 1-7twist barrel Tikka Pre-fit from PVA (0.750 taperless) with 5/8x24 threads
MDT HNT26 Chassis with the MDT 6arc AICS magazine
Unknown Munitions medium Tikka rings
Maven RS1.2 2.5-15 MILR
Silencerco Scythe Ti suppressor

Loving this cartridge so far - unless I find myself hunting out west with really long shot opportunities (have a 6 Creedmoor for that), I don't see a need for anything else. The gun shoots factory 108 ELDms really well, and I'm playing around with handloading some DRT 95grain Terminal Shock bullets for a CA wild pig hunt I have coming up in January. This past Sunday the rifle took its first two deer in the VA early/extended anterless season.

Attachments

• IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2058 2.jpg
    IMG_2058 2.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    770.1 KB · Views: 0

Bodhisafa

FNG
I went this route on a build I put together over the summer. Mostly hunt in the WV/VA/MD area so longest shot I'd ever take in the field is 400 yards. Swapped a standard bolt for a .223 bolt and had it opened up for the 6 ARC.

Tikka T3X SS
20" 1-7twist barrel Tikka Pre-fit from PVA (0.750 taperless) with 5/8x24 threads
MDT HNT26 Chassis with the MDT 6arc AICS magazine
Unknown Munitions medium Tikka rings
Maven RS1.2 2.5-15 MILR
Silencerco Scythe Ti suppressor

Loving this cartridge so far - unless I find myself hunting out west with really long shot opportunities (have a 6 Creedmoor for that), I don't see a need for anything else. The gun shoots factory 108 ELDms really well, and I'm playing around with handloading some DRT 95grain Terminal Shock bullets for a CA wild pig hunt I have coming up in January. This past Sunday the rifle took its first two deer in the VA early/extended anterless season.
How does the MDT magazine match up with the chassis? Would the magazine match well with other stocks/chassis?