68gr hpbt hornady in 223 9 twist?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I got a 9 twist 223 in the safe I need to mess around with more for target work (not hunting), wish it was 8 twist but it isn't. So in looking at higher BC bullets with bang for the buck it seems like the 68gr hornady match offers a good value, its marginally stable at sea level it appears but I'm at 5000+' so it looks like it'd stabilize. Anyone got experience with it in a 9 twist?

Other options that are higher BC that would stabilize: 60gr TMK (not in stock anywhere), 69gr sierra regular match king, 69gr nosler comp, 73gr bergers.

xsn10s

WKR
Twist rate can be somewhat of a guideline, not an absolute. Sometimes a barrel that shouldn't shoot a higher bc bullet well does. You might not get the best BC out of it, however it could still shoot accurately. The only way to tell is to try it. In my AR15 I have a 1-9" twist. but I pretty much stayed with the 53gr vmax which has a high BC for it's weight.

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked a couple of boxes of these too, and am looking for load data with CFE223 and Varget. For what it’s worth, the label says 1:9 twist on it. I don’t recall ever seeing a twist recommendation on a box of bullets before this.

It doesn’t seem like there’s much love for these bullets. Maybe that’s why they’re priced the way they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FLS

WKR
Correct. Not a TMK fan. They’re less accurate in everything I own. I understand the terminal performance, but I’m mostly banging steel and punching holes in paper with my .223s.
Shot out to 710 this past weekend before a T storm ended my fun. Did have some sporty wind to play in before the bottom fell out.

FLS

WKR
The Frontier 75 HPBT 5.56 ammo has been really accurate out of my rifles, but it’s hit or miss finding it.