650 vs 850 Down Jacket

grfox92

WKR
After 6 seasons with my Eddie Bauer 650 Cirrus jacket, it has become more patches than jacket. I was planning on using it this season but the fabric appears to be getting very brittle and new holes appearing often.

It's an unexpected expense and I'm a proponent of buy once cry once, but my hunting budget is gone for the year and I wasn't planning on a big purchase, leading to my question.

Is there a dramatic difference in warmth 650 to 850? I can't remember ever wearing my 650 and thinking, damn I wish this was warmer, all the way down into the single digits and negative temps here in WY.

There are tons of non hunting brand jackets from Rab, Mtn Hardware, Eddie Bauer, and even Browning woth 650 jackets for screaming deals. There seems to be no deals on 850s in any color I would wear hunting.

So do I need to dig deep and come up with the extra money or will a 650 keep me relatively as warm as an 850?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The answer depends on the fill weight. The higher fill power will provide more warmth per gram of fill.

For most jackets the amount of warmth will be similar, the 650 fill power just results in a heavier piece (also many use duck vs goose down in lower fill power pieces).

It sounds like budget is more important than ultimate weight - which means 650 would be totally fine for you, especially if you aren’t super concerned with packed space. 800+ is the answer when space/weight are drivers.

sndmn11

WKR
The answer depends on the fill weight. The higher fill power will provide more warmth per gram of fill.

For most jackets the amount of warmth will be similar, the 650 fill power just results in a heavier piece (also many use duck vs goose down in lower fill power pieces).

It sounds like budget is more important than ultimate weight - which means 650 would be totally fine for you, especially if you aren’t super concerned with packed space. 800+ is the answer when space/weight are drivers.

To build on this, if one can find the fill weight, multiply that number by the fill power. That gives you the total loft volume and can provide comparison between different fill weights and powers.

~1.308oz of 650power down is needed to equal the loft of 850power.

Bump79

WKR
I've really been liking this jacket. There's a few threads out here on them

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I've really been liking this jacket. There's a few threads out here on them

I'll have to look up those threads. Thanks.

Bump79

WKR
I'll have to look up those threads. Thanks.

Yeah I've got over a year on it now and it's holding up well. I kind of like to have a down that I don't worry about it as much. I think it's gone up a little in price I want to say I paid like $55-60

Beendare

WKR
IME, The 650 down compresses out faster than the 800...it doesn't last as long especially in Sleeping bags.

I like the UL stuff which most of the 800 down stuff is but it's not very durable. My jacket has the patches too.

I would look at something with a more durable shell...it's only a tiny sacrifice in weight....I think Kuiu has one now.

Great reply. Something else to consider: sometime a 850-900 fill down jacket will appear like the bees knees, but the “lighter” down can sometimes be too light and compress when you sit to glass and lose its properties.

Decathlon also has an 850-fill down jacket for $100: https://www.decathlon.com/products/...1Dtgu28Ld4QN3poRIZVTTdqJlUuRZMjK4o_5F9xoMvqCd

I don't have it, but it has great reviews.

I have this and several other more down jackets that cost 2-3x this. This is by far the best value I’ve come across. It’s a steal at $100. I wouldn’t say it’s the first thing I grab for “single digits and negatives”, but it should cover virtually anything else from August through mid-to-late October.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
One to consider
They had them on sale for $179 two weeks ago and I snagged one… really well made for under $200

brando20

FNG
I'd say stick it out for one more year if you can then buy once cry once next season and go with a premium 850.

rideold

WKR
My gripe with high down fill jackets is that depending on the construction the 800+ fill jackets sometimes have cold spots because there just isn't that much down in the baffles compared to a lower power fill. My old Patagonia McMurdo down jacket has been one of the best jackets I've had and is on year 10+ and only now is showing signs of wear. I bought a hooded Go Lite 850 fill jacket that nice and light and very warm....except in the arms where the baffle stitch through results in cold spots.