6.8 Western

Jjustus16

FNG
Anyone have experience with the 6.8 western? I’m looking at using it as an elk gun and have been pointed in this direction d/t the similar ballistics with a 7 mag and much more manageable recoil.

I was looking at a X-Bolt hell’s canyon, but recently ran across Winchester’s XPR’s. The XPR’s are significantly cheaper so I’m curious as to how much performance and reliability you are losing.

I’m also open to suggestions. I’m hearing from guys at work that these new PRC rounds (7 PRC mainly) are all the hype.
I don’t think I’d be interested in anything like a 300 PRC because of the felt recoil affecting my shot placement. A well placed 270 is enough to down a bull, so no need for hyper-overkill, right?

I have some experience on rifle shooting (mostly 556 in the military, 308, 300 BLK, 7 mag and 300 win mag.) Though I will admit, I am not too fond of the 300 win mag.

Any and all input is appreciated!

wnelson14

WKR
Multiple threads about the 6.8 on here and a review on the front page. Seems like an awesome round and readily available in certain places

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
Have a 6.8W and very happy. Mine is a rebarreled M70 WSM. The recoil to me is pretty mild. I would say in ball park of 30-06 shooting 180s. Accuracy with factory loads - the 165 ablr and 175 tgk, has been outstanding. Shot through both shoulders of large boar with 175 tgk and got exit which is not something typically get with anything but monos so that is stout bullet. For ex a 160 accubond out of 280 did not exit on similar shot week earlier. 6.8W sits between 6.5prc and 7prc recoil and power wise though both 6.5prc and 6.8W are shorter actions if that matters. Cant go wrong with any I expect just pick which power/recoil you want

No experience with XPR though build quality on it looks better to me on similar priced stuff I have handled in stores (ruger american, etc).

Lou

gerry35

WKR
I'll be able to tell you in a few months when mine's complete. I really like what the round offers and have piles of 277 cal bullets so I went with it. Have some 170 gr Berger and added some 170 gr Ballistic Tip and 175 gr TGK's to reload when it's time. I'm a lefty so there weren't many options so it's going to be a Tikka rebarrel for me.

I have done a lot of research on it and would say the Browning rifles on average seem to be more accurate in general compared to the Winchester XPR's. That's not to say you won't get good accuracy with an XPR though. It looks like the 165 gr ABLR and 175 gr TGK loads shoot the best for most compared to the other factory loads from what the guys on the 6.8 Western Facebook groups I'm on are saying.

Good luck, it is a great all around round for hunting and I'm looking forward to it.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with a Bergara over the Browning or the Winchester rifles myself. A church member has B-14 (Ridge if I remember correctly) in 6.8 Western and it shot great out to 770ish yards on steel (Factory Ammo).
the 6.8 will work great for you

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Browning X-bolt Hell's Canyon LR a lot. Between Winchester and Browning I'd definitely save a couple hundred extra dollars and get the Browning. The action is glassy smooth.

Recoil is certainly stiff so don't kid yourself thinking it'll be a kitten.

SwiftShot

WKR
Anyone have experience with the 6.8 western? I’m looking at using it as an elk gun and have been pointed in this direction d/t the similar ballistics with a 7 mag and much more manageable recoil.

I was looking at a X-Bolt hell’s canyon, but recently ran across Winchester’s XPR’s. The XPR’s are significantly cheaper so I’m curious as to how much performance and reliability you are losing.

I’m also open to suggestions. I’m hearing from guys at work that these new PRC rounds (7 PRC mainly) are all the hype.
I don’t think I’d be interested in anything like a 300 PRC because of the felt recoil affecting my shot placement. A well placed 270 is enough to down a bull, so no need for hyper-overkill, right?

I have some experience on rifle shooting (mostly 556 in the military, 308, 300 BLK, 7 mag and 300 win mag.) Though I will admit, I am not too fond of the 300 win mag.

Any and all input is appreciated!
Browning is killing it before it gets started. Shot show this year they are offering a fast barrel twist 270 win. That is all the 6.8 is, a 270 with a faster barrel twist to shoot heavier bullets. You will be better off buying that as it will shoot all 270 loads without problems and the new heavy bullet loads that they are developing.

Sad the 6.8 Western showed potential.

Kimber300

FNG
Like my 6.8 western in a Browning X bolt . Browning has 1in7.5 twist vs Winchester 1in8 something to consider if your going to shoot heavy bullets. I got less than half moa group at 100 yd with handloaded 170 bergers

OP
Jjustus16

Jjustus16

FNG
Browning is killing it before it gets started. Shot show this year they are offering a fast barrel twist 270 win. That is all the 6.8 is, a 270 with a faster barrel twist to shoot heavier bullets. You will be better off buying that as it will shoot all 270 loads without problems and the new heavy bullet loads that they are developing.

Any news on a release timeline?

Meh. A 6.8 from a case/cartridge/chamber design is more appealing than a 270. And I think it would take more than browning releasing fast twist rifles and especially ammo (who buys browning ammo?) to really make 270 win appealing as a long range offering.

MJB

WKR
The 270 win case is much different than the 6.8 W.......I shoot and load both calibers

The 270wim shines in the 130gr bullets
6.8w I have only done the 162 hammers

SwiftShot

WKR
Meh. A 6.8 from a case/cartridge/chamber design is more appealing than a 270. And I think it would take more than browning releasing fast twist rifles and especially ammo (who buys browning ammo?) to really make 270 win appealing as a long range offering.
1. The 270 is always been a long range rifle. That was it appeal before range finders.
2. The Ammo is coming from Winchester. That is what makes it odd.
The people that brought you the Western are not helping it sales or look like they will be doing any long term support. It is a nice cartridge and does deserve some time.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
The backfire guy is a hornady fan and may be sponsored by them. I like his videos but he is definitely biased. He had the first 7prc accoding to him so take his reporting with grain of salt. In any case the browning 7.5 twist 270s are out. Just because browning makes a fast twist 270 means nothing to 6.8. Hornady makes 28 nosler and 300 win ammo. Does that mean the prcs are not gonna be supported by hornady.

In any case to suggest at this point Win/Browning will not support 6.8W is silly. They report very happy with sales. Ammo has been available regularly for 6:8W (at least as available as PRC ammo) and Browning just released 2 new loads. Not something one does to not support something.

Lou

G&D920

FNG
I purchased a browning hells canyon 6.8 western and have been pleased with its performance out to 550 yards. My issue with it was Ammo availability and current manufacturers of ammo, but its coming around. Once I found availability of what I wanted I stocked up 300 rounds which will hold me over for a bit. good luck.

Side note - my brother recently purchased the new 7 MM PRC which is a step up. Maybe give that a look?

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
I like everything ive read about 6.8W except there is only one ammo mfg which seems could be its demise. Kind of like Weatherby and the RPM calibers....

Last edited: