6.8 Western Brass

I would be surprised if Hornady didn't hop on getting the 25 CM saami approved soon. Although it did take a while and Horizon Firearms to really push to get the 22 CM SAAMI approved. The .257 is another caliber that has been neglected. If Hornady jumped on it we would at least get a steady flow of high BC bullets for it.

I'm pretty sure it's already in the works and they are rumored to be working on a 25 cal ATIP bullet too. There is a thread about it on the hide.

If I go above 6mm for a hunting barrel anytime soon it'll likely be a 25 cal.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
7 SAUM brass is so close in size to the western, I’m curious what people’s reservations are about using it? I don’t have a Western yet, but it’s only a matter of time before a used barrel pops up, so I’m preplanning. :)
I bought a box of 50 ADG 7SAUM brass and fire formed it for my 6.8 Western, it works great. My only complaint is having to fire form, otherwise it's worlds better than Winchester brass. And if we're being honest, the fire forming loads shot as well as any finished loads I have in WW brass, so they're valuable to practice with. Just a few hundred FPS slower than I'd normally run with full fat loads.

TaperPin

WKR
I bought a box of 50 ADG 7SAUM brass and fire formed it for my 6.8 Western, it works great. My only complaint is having to fire form, otherwise it's worlds better than Winchester brass. And if we're being honest, the fire forming loads shot as well as any finished loads I have in WW brass, so they're valuable to practice with. Just a few hundred FPS slower than I'd normally run with full fat loads.
Nice!
There is a lot of 7 SAUM brass at a store locally so I will have to swing by and grab some. :)

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
Nice!
There is a lot of 7 SAUM brass at a store locally so I will have to swing by and grab some. :)
I only got a box because I'm waiting to reward ADG for running 6.8 Western. One man may not tip the scales a ton, but I can try.

The magic marketing fairy dust:
1. Spec a cartridge/chamber with the same premises that competition shooters have been getting their custom chambers and wildcats done for years
2. Do it in the calibers with the best bullets available that people who shoot high volume actually want
3. Keep ammo on the shelves at reasonable prices

In general, 6.8 doesn't do anything better than 6.5 PRC but recoil more and make people think they have more "knockdown power" with an addition 20 grains and 0.013" of bullet. It IS a great design IMO, just kind of plagued by 0.277 bore and the companies that introduced it.

A 7 western would be a neat cartridge. Pretty dang close to a 7 SAUM though for reloaders/custom gun people.

Agree with all this, and would add one thing - a lot of people's perceptions of cartridge quality are not absolute, but relative. Had 6.8W come out in 1971, it would be a legendary cartridge, with all the bullet weights you could ask for, and would be a benchmark round that others are judged against.

In absolute terms, it's an amazing cartridge.

In relative terms? Compared to other modernized and well-supported offerings?

Kinda meh.

And that's kinda sad.