6.5's for elk

I'm interested in hearing from folks who have experience using 6.5's on elk.

Without discussing specific calibers, what do you feel is the minimum acceptable impact velocity for a 6.5 mm 140-grain bullet for elk hunting?

For argument's sake, let's say a 140 Accubond unless you have experience with another 140-class bullet.

jhm2023

WKR
Find your bullet's minimum function velocity then figure out the distance they will reach that minimum. That's your max range. 6.5's penetrate better than they should because of the high sectional density. Even the little Creedmoor makes quick work of moose, so one could assume they would be suitable for elk.

sram9102

WKR
I've only used the 147s ELD-Ms on animals. Its been devastating on elk from 80 to 715 yards. It flat crushed the four mule deer we shot with it.
All the animals I've shot eldm at have died but the bullet performance has left something to be desired. This was 168 gr 308 at 305, frontal on s whitetail this fall. He was dead before he hit the ground but the bullet didn't do much to give me faith in it.
4a5c112ffad491e7f0953ca4bbd5c974.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
I too am interested. Only used a 139 Scenar on a mulie buck. Worked great. Considering sticking with the Scenar, but also have loads with 147 ELDM, 140 VLD, 140 Partition, and 127 LRX that shoot excellent and in contention for elk this fall.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
All the animals I've shot eldm at have died but the bullet performance has left something to be desired. This was 168 gr 308 at 305, frontal on s whitetail this fall. He was dead before he hit the ground but the bullet didn't do much to give me faith in it.
4a5c112ffad491e7f0953ca4bbd5c974.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have learned each bullet is so different by caliber.

Last edited:
I shot a cow elk around 75-80 yards with a 130 Nosler Accubond from a 260 Remington at 2900 fps. First shot was between the neck and shoulder and was recovered in the offside hip after it went through the bone the backstrap hooks to and just under the hide. Second was tight to the shoulders as she was running through the trees. She was dead after the first but she was in a good spot headed for a bad one so put the second In her and she fell right there. Recovered bullet looked like a typical Accubond mushroom.

Jacack

WKR
I used the 139 scenars for a couple years with great results at mixed ranges but now using the 143 eld x and have had good results too but only shot a few animals at modest rqnges

Wrench

WKR
I've taken elk with;

142 SMK x 3
140 Match Burner x 6
140rdf x 2

None closer than 150, topped out at 840ish.

I'll admit it was a gamble on the RDF because of the small meplat. I actually sent some of them to a pig shooter who put 25 pigs down,with them and had good results.

I think the match burner is what I consider the best all around. The meplat makes me feel good, the bc is decent and the jacket is the right thickness.

Every elk I have shot has not gone any farther than Tanya's bull in the youtube video.....pretty much just shoot, wait two seconds, say he's ****** up and go cut him up.

Wrench

WKR
I was running the numbers today comparing my 300WSM 180 accubond, 375 h&h 300 partition, 270win 150 LRAB and 260ai 140rdf. When I run the numbers at 600 and beyond the 270 and 6.5 walk away from the others. It takes a super slick 30+ bullet and a ton of powder to best what these little things can do.

Wrench

WKR
I have learned each bullet is so different by caliber.
I've been saying for years that the 270 win has been so deadly because EVERY bullet made was designed to work in its velocity window.

Consider how fast you're gonna push it and start your checklist of what's important to you.

Wrench

WKR
My dope predicted 1831fps with the 140 rdf at 840 yds. That was a clean broadside on a large cow. I found most of the bullet under the hide of the offside shoulder.

So somewhere in there for that bullet. It's small meplat helps with penetration before disruption in my opinion.....which doesn't hurt.

I have no idea what an accubond would do at that speed.

Most of the match burners that I sent were in the 5-600 yard range and I don't recall finding one stopped in the critter. 550 yards dopes out at 2820fps.

I was running the numbers today comparing my 300WSM 180 accubond, 375 h&h 300 partition, 270win 150 LRAB and 260ai 140rdf. When I run the numbers at 600 and beyond the 270 and 6.5 walk away from the others. It takes a super slick 30+ bullet and a ton of powder to best what these little things can do.

Not really an apples to apples comparison with bullet selection for each but to your point you'd probably need a pretty stoutly loaded 200 MatchKing or so in that WSM to hang.

SCHEZSHEK

FNG
Find your bullet's minimum function velocity then figure out the distance they will reach that minimum. That's your max range. 6.5's penetrate better than they should because of the high sectional density. Even the little Creedmoor makes quick work of moose, so one could assume they would be suitable for elk.

THIS.....

HiMtnHntr

WKR
In my experience, you want to be careful using the 6.5 on elk, and choose shots that give you a high percentage of a hit behind the shoulder, double lung. I would be hesitant to use the 6.5 at longer ranges (400+??) with anything less than perfect conditions.

OP
Newtosavage
In my experience, you want to be careful using the 6.5 on elk, and choose shots that give you a high percentage of a hit behind the shoulder, double lung. I would be hesitant to use the 6.5 at longer ranges (400+??) with anything less than perfect conditions.
Hoping to figure that out, with the help of those with experience. Hence the original question.

3sdad

FNG
1 cow elk at 530 yards with 143eldx hand loads. MV of 2650. Impact was right around 2000 fps. Two shots. One bullet was recovered in the hide, the other exited. She just stood there and didn't even flinch after the first shot so I sent another. She did the death wobble and went down. The whole thing took 30 seconds. First shot was the liver, second shot was 3'' from there. Sorta lucked out. The recovered bullet was a perfect mushroom and I can't recall what the retained weight was, but it was on par with what Hornady claims. I've read poor reviews of these bullets blowing apart which I believe is from high impact velocities. So for me and my current experiences with the 6.5, I'll keep using it for elk, but wont stretch it out any further.

Last edited:
OP
Newtosavage
1 cow elk at 530 yards with 143eldx hand loads. MV of 2650. Two shots. One bullet was recovered in the hide, the other exited. She just stood there and didn't even flinch after the first shot so I sent another. She did the death wobble and went down. The whole thing took 30 seconds. First shot was the liver, second shot was 3'' from there. Sorta lucked out. The recovered bullet was a perfect mushroom and I can't recall what the retained weight was, but it was on par with what Hornady claims. I've read poor reviews of these bullets blowing apart which I believe is from high impact velocities IMO.
So that was 1987 fps and 1254 ft. lbs. of energy.

Seems reasonable.