6.5mm Projectile for Moose

Which projectile would you choose for Maine moose?

• Total voters
OP
Nine Banger

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Here they are together.

IMG_5885.jpg

I pulled the ELD M from factory ammo.

IMG_5881.jpg
IMG_5882.jpgIMG_5883.jpg

OP
Nine Banger

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I picked up an OAL gauge a few weeks ago in a collection of reloading stuff that was given to me. I had to buy the cases that thread onto the end for the calibers I reload for.

IMG_5880.jpg

IMG_5890.jpg

I pulled the ELD M to check lands and see what powder capacity looks like with these bullets.

ELD M:

IMG_5891.jpg

TMK:

IMG_5894.jpg

Mega: (This was surprising. I checked it again and got 2.6755 mashing on it and pushing it back out with a rod)

IMG_5895.jpg

Interlock: (a little farther out than the cannelure but I don't crimp)

IMG_5896.jpg

WMR

Lil-Rokslider
My Alaska rifle choice has more to do with bears than it does with moose. I’d gladly shoot a moose with any good bullet from my .270. In fact, I’d sold all my bigger rifles and took a 30-06 last time. It felt plenty big until I got face to face with a few brown bears. This time I’ll have a .338 or 35 Whelen loaded with strong bullets. Both are in the testing phase now.

OP
Nine Banger

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
The mega holds its own for a round nose.

Mega:

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 11.39.01 PM.jpeg

Hornady 160gr RN:

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 11.39.49 PM.jpeg

OP
Nine Banger

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I'm leaning towards 147gr ELD but I'm going to work on 130gr TMK with Form's method.

The Sierra publication I found is listing 42.9 as max?

1720488574551.png

@ViperD and I loaded this last year at 43.5gr without ever looking at this chart and we had no signs of pressure. I think I kept 6 from the batch and shot 5 deer with them.

These are my notes from last August:

Sierra 130gr tmk
43.5gr H4350
2795 fps (Magnetospeed V3) 18" barrel

We didn't true this load due to lack of ability to shoot long enough range to get transonic.

Now I have access to a range that I can shoot a water line.

I'll update this in a few weeks.

Last edited:
OP
Nine Banger

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Update:
- I'm bumping my rifle system up to 6.5 PRC
- It should be here in about 3 weeks

I'm going to burn up the round nose projectiles in my open sights plinking gun I use to practice positions at 100 yards.

Right now I'm focused on 147gr ELD. I have some loaded with H1000 and N565 to find pressure and then load again to compare accuracy versus speed when the rifle gets here.

The only reason I could see going with the TMK instead is for flatter trajectory but I have an 825 yard range here I can test all my drops weekly before the trip.

I loaned my 6.5cm to a buddy for elk last season and I got to watch over his shoulder as he took a nice 6x6 with it. 147gr ELD-M, 130yds. It did a total jello job on the lungs.

ELDM's are my go-to hunting round after seeing what my 7PRC (180gr) and 6.5cm (147gr) did on elk. The problem with the 130gr TMK is that, unlike in the .224 variant, it has a lame BC. I'm sure it's still a great round out to some pretty healthy ranges and I believe you can get it in the Law Enforcement factory loads in 6.5cm.

So I drew a cow tag in unit 02.

I have all these listed projectiles on hand for 6.5 Creedmoor.

What would you choose to send downrange for this "once in a lifetime" hunt?

My current MER on a 10" circle is 500 yards but I'm going to be practicing up to 825 before October.

Thanks in advance for participating.
Slightly different in my rifle but I love hornady stuff. 143 eldx out of my 6.5 prc. Shot cows and bulls (elk) and then maybe went 20 yards. Shot a cow at 300 ish yards last year and she went maybe 5 steps and fell over.

Hit em where it counts and itll do the rest.

Muskykris

Lil-Rokslider
A sample of one. Sixty years ago, I started hunting moose with Corelokts and Winchester Power Points and did kill a handful of moose, but a grizzly bear changed my mind on the Power Points [200 gr 338] and I switched to NPs and later TBBCs before finally getting to TSX and TTSX. I'm running out of hunting years but I'm most comfortable with the Barnes.
I'm with you on this one, NPs and Branes TTSX!

Lgraham

FNG
Lower 48 cow moose ain’t that big and you don’t have to deal with bears (I’m guessing). Pick your poison with any of those bullets you mention but I’d go with something bonded. If it’s a cow hunt the primary reason is meat so steering away from the non-bonded bullets might help minimize meat damage If you hit a shoulder. I’d imagine more damage with those bullets. Otherwise stay off the shoulder and just poke one through the ribs and any of those bullets will kill a cow moose.

TBoschma

Lil-Rokslider
Following, Ill hopefully have a follow up on 6.5 for moose this year as well!

I am thinking 130 TMK or 140 ELDM

the 130 TMKs are loaded up in my creedmoor

the 140 ELDMs are in my 6.5 PRC and I really like how that gun handles too so I am leaning towards that rifle ammo combo.

OP
Nine Banger

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I received the 6.5 PRC today and found pressure with the 2 powders I have. All these recordings are 147 ELD. N565 and H1000.

IMG_6965.jpg

IMG_6971.jpg

IMG_6969.jpg

Can't believe all those cool guys shooting .223's at moose have not found this thread yet. Any of those 6.5 bullets will get the job done if properly placed. I would go with the eld-x or M if that's all you can find.

VernAK

WKR
Lower 48 cow moose ain’t that big and you don’t have to deal with bears (I’m guessing). Pick your poison with any of those bullets you mention but I’d go with something bonded. If it’s a cow hunt the primary reason is meat so steering away from the non-bonded bullets might help minimize meat damage If you hit a shoulder. I’d imagine more damage with those bullets. Otherwise stay off the shoulder and just poke one through the ribs and any of those bullets will kill a cow moose.
Cow moose can vary in size depending on your region. Two Ak/YT cow moose!cows.JPG

OP
Nine Banger

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Cow moose can vary in size depending on your region. Two Ak/YT cow moose!

Great pic, thank you for sharing.

I discovered that I have too much pressure at 58 today with N565, I was rocking and rolling around 2626 with 57.5gr N565 and the 147 ELD

I did some work with 156 OEL's too and did not find pressure and got more speed than ELD.

IMG_7026.jpg

Last edited: