6.5mm Projectile for Moose

Which projectile would you choose for Maine moose?

• Total voters

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
So I drew a cow tag in unit 02.

I have all these listed projectiles on hand for 6.5 Creedmoor.

What would you choose to send downrange for this "once in a lifetime" hunt?

My current MER on a 10" circle is 500 yards but I'm going to be practicing up to 825 before October.

Thanks in advance for participating.

BCsteve

WKR
127gr LRX. From your list, 155 Mega.

Lapua156gr-Mega.jpg

Last edited:

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
None of the options are going to do anything positive to a moose's health. However none are really my preference. I guess I'd go 155 mega of close shots were most likely and the 147 eldm if open country and longer shots were expected.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Just thought I should add when I asked my medium velocity 6.5 loving friends what they prefer for moose the top 3 recommended bullets were partitions, accubonds, and interbonds. Honorable mention has to be given to the offerings from swift as well as the Speer grandslam and all the creedmore users expressed a very strong interest in the Speer impacts though some dismayed the lack of availability here in Canada.

BKM

FNG
Just thought I should add when I asked my medium velocity 6.5 loving friends what they prefer for moose the top 3 recommended bullets were partitions, accubonds, and interbonds. Honorable mention has to be given to the offerings from swift as well as the Speer grandslam and all the creedmore users expressed a very strong interest in the Speer impacts though some dismayed the lack of availability here in Canada.
A Partition is never a wrong answer unless high BC is needed

BKM

FNG
A Partition is never a wrong answer unless high BC is needed

VernAK

WKR
To use a non-bonded, lead core bullet for moose hunting is to throw away a half century of hunting bullet development. I had a friend with 6.5CM arrive for a moose hunt recently and when we started shopping ammo prior to the hunt....nothing but MATCH ammo available.

OP
Nine Banger

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
To use a non-bonded, lead core bullet for moose hunting is to throw away a half century of hunting bullet development. I had a friend with 6.5CM arrive for a moose hunt recently and when we started shopping ammo prior to the hunt....nothing but MATCH ammo available.
Lapua uses the word bonding in their marketing, but they say its mechanical, so how similar would that be to the interlock bullet?

My rifle is currently trued to the 147gr ELD M.

I'm going to run some ballistics tables for the Mega when I get home and see how hard I can push it before I get a hard bolt lift or ejector mark.

Here's where my rifle is at with ELD M factory ammo:

Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 5.12.04 PM.jpeg

I measured an average muzzle velocity of 2571 fps with my Magneto Speed but based on my drops at the range and my truing input Shooter App corrected to 2491 fps based on my input for drops at 400 and 500 yards.

Last edited:

VernAK

WKR
I've shot a moose with the 143 eldx. Works fine.
A sample of one. Sixty years ago, I started hunting moose with Corelokts and Winchester Power Points and did kill a handful of moose, but a grizzly bear changed my mind on the Power Points [200 gr 338] and I switched to NPs and later TBBCs before finally getting to TSX and TTSX. I'm running out of hunting years but I'm most comfortable with the Barnes.

OP
Nine Banger

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
Was the the terminal ballistics class offered at the S2H University course you attended?
We discussed it but I was at the 3 day class that transitioned into 3 days of hunting.

I'm going back in June for the full 0-600yds course.

BAKPAKR

WKR
My brother’s friend ran out of ammo missing his bull moose with a 300 WM so my brother handed off a Tikka 6.5 CM loaded with 143 gr ELD-Xs and he dropped the bull. Despite that, I would use the 155 Mega if it were me.

z987k

WKR
A sample of one. Sixty years ago, I started hunting moose with Corelokts and Winchester Power Points and did kill a handful of moose, but a grizzly bear changed my mind on the Power Points [200 gr 338] and I switched to NPs and later TBBCs before finally getting to TSX and TTSX. I'm running out of hunting years but I'm most comfortable with the Barnes.
Just have to put it in the vitals at reasonable distances. They don't wear armor.