6.5 PRC Regrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
6.5prc is somewhat a modern .270. I have both, love em both.
Yes, I have both too! Do I worry when I use one of those that it may have been 5% less efficient than the other when I shoot something? Nope and the expired animals don't say anything either!

6.5 PRC Regrets...?

.270 WCF - 130 gr./3,000 fps./(G1) 0.418 - $46.99 - Add to cart

301645.jpg

6.5 PRC - 125 gr./3,100 fps./(G1) 0.428 - $78.99 - Out of Stock/Notify Me

786616.jpg

Huh.

GR

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
I load my own and besides if a 6.5PRC shooter shoots factory ammo and is not worried about the price, why should you be concerned?
Some people buy a ground Sirloin at the steakhouse, some want prime rib. So?

Last edited:

Butcher8

Lil-Rokslider
I ran one w no issues off a Surgeon WSM action. Accurate 300 WSM or Alpha type 4 mags.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 6.5PRC, no regrets, also have about 20 other calibers. Do some of them duplicate others, yep, BFD.
All these cartridge threads turn into pissing matches for no reason other than someone got their panties in a wad and think that they know it all, well, guess what, no one does. Does it really matter that someone wants to use a very capable cartridge to shoot at a reasonable distance and you don't agree, not at all!

On the contrary:

- Increased factory ammo cost.
- increased reloading component cost.
- diminished reloading component availability.
- diminished factory ammo offerings.
- diminished factory ammo availability.
- diminished factory rifle offerings.
- diminished performance in 22" sporter barrels.
- diminished magazine capacity.
- diminished feeding reliability.
- diminished chance that the cartridge will be here tomorrow.

PPU loads .270 Winchester for ~ $15/20 box, in quality reloadable brass.

Inexpensive and available training ammo, and free reloadable brass.

Careful throwing that "ignorant" word around, unless you are lookin' in a mirror.

GR
You cooked him here 🤣. There is just no reason for the 6.5 PRC compared to the .270 Win. It’s financially irresponsible and just another fad.

Woitey

FNG
It's painfully obvious he's emotionally invested in the 270 Winchester. I had one, it was ok. None of his listed reasons was good enough for me to keep it, as the 6.5 PRC just shot better, is more accurate, and was simple to reload for. To be honest I thought the same thing about the 6.5 Creedmoor, for at least a decade, and then I shot one. I then saw what all the hubbub was about. Now I own both. It is clear to me he owns neither, and it doesn't sound like he's shot either Creedmoor or PRC to any extent. I also didn't see his list of 270 caliber rifles that are appearing in any matches PRS or otherwise.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Must be a slow week on 24 hour camp fire.
Why limit the argument to 400 yards @Garandimal ? Nothing to do with the BC sucking for most 270 bullets im sure. Or the fact that you couldn't stabilize the couple high BC bullets available to it. If you limit the parameters of discussion you could make whatever argument you want I suppose. Quite frankly some of us don't care how much factory ammo costs because we're not buying it anyways. I also don't have to worry about trimming as often with the PRC brass and it lasts longer than a 270 win. Costs work out the same or less and I get to use Lapua brass.

Last edited:
Pretty convenient coming up with your own definition for things. Seems incredibly arbitrary to me kind of like this whole argument You've been having.

So, at what range can you take a field shooting position in Five(5) seconds, and make a 3 MOA hit with a rifle on a game animal?

And that is Jeff Cooper's definition of field marksmanship, not mine.

GR

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
So, at what range can you take a field shooting position in Five(5) seconds, and make a 3 MOA hit with a rifle on a game animal?

GR
Again that's an incredibly arbitrary situation. I'd argue that if you consistently only have five seconds to get ready and take a shot you're a lousy hunter. At least as it pertains to Western hunting. Which is what the 6.5 PRC was made for.

Woitey

FNG
No negatives for me. But feel free to swim in your PPU ammo fort like Scrouge Mcduck. While conveniently ignorant of the 55+ page of 6.5 kills with photo's, ranges of kills, and field forensic photos. And those of it's little siblings. Meanwhile you can send me a like thread of awesome 270 Winchester kills and you rolling on a five second shot on a trophy animal at 400 yards to show us how it's all done.

fwafwow

WKR

GR
The 270 is very famous on the Slide - especially The Finger of God, which I think was made by the hands of Jeff Cooper and Elmer Keith in an early collab.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider

GR
A wee bit out of context but what the heck!
Cooper's focus which he was very good at was Dense/Tactical shooting, which is what he was talking about in nearly every situation, esp. this 5 second deal.
Usually in open country and longer shots, you can range the animal and determine the wind and get steady. If not, nothing says you have to take the shot. And that is where the 6.5PRC spanks the 270 because of better bullets.
I am sure soon we will hear about "ethics".;)
And he was big on the 308 and had his Scout rifle as such. In fact, if I was just shooting 300 yds and under I would opt for a 308 instead of the O'Conner 270. And the ammo can be found usually much cheaper than 270 and much better barrel life. I use a couple of those to.

Status
Not open for further replies.